ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #28306
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I'm seriously considering a bigger ADV bike for the wife and I, for mostly 2-up, but also for the occasional trip myself for longer hiway miles. The Husky is great for what we did in GC, but it doesn't work for 2-up on the road. My Versys is great for me over the road, and it will haul us both for day trips, but not with any gear for overnighting.
This was one of the main motives for my recent purchase of my F800GS....to have a bike that can eat up the miles on those rides that include lots of highway miles (such as riding to Alaska) as well as having something more comfortable for riding two up with my girlfriend. Something that is low maintenance too.

I had strongly considered the 990 but I did not feel I would be riding it as aggressively to justify it over the F800GS in regards to the quirks and maintenance. With that in consideration, the F800GS fit my bill more nicely. But I can see why certain riders would prefer the 990 (and those guys usually ride much faster and more aggressively then I do). Both bikes are great, it just all depends on the rider's intended use and preferences. The F800GS was also a nice smaller alternative to the R1200GS and Super Tenere. Probably the best thing to do is figure out your intended use and go to the dealers for a test ride.

I also need to settle on a great smaller bike...I had recently bought Rich's used WR250R as my smaller dual sport bike for the mostly dirt trips and rougher stuff, since it has far better suspension then my clunky DR650. But with all the desert around here there are many times were I wish I had more power. If they made a WR450R it would be perfect. But in the future I may sway towards a LC4 like Joel's, or even the Husky like Chris has....when I have more money that is.

All that said, if it was the zombie apocalypse, or I was to do a around the world ride off the beaten path, or I was relegated back to being able to own just one bike for everything on a budget, I would still jump back on a DR650 in a heart beat.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #28307
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
I'm seriously considering a bigger ADV bike for the wife and I, for mostly 2-up, but also for the occasional trip myself for longer hiway miles. The Husky is great for what we did in GC, but it doesn't work for 2-up on the road. My Versys is great for me over the road, and it will haul us both for day trips, but not with any gear for overnighting.

I test road the Super Tenere. Sat on a GS, Multistrada, and 990. I need to ride them all I guess. Of all the assorted bikes out there these are on my shortlist.

The S10 was a bit mild. It is so sorted it is almost boring. From what I understand they can be tweaked a bit to really come alive. Their shaft drive is said to be outstanding. As heavy as it is it feels very light and handles really well.

The GS is always said to be the class leader. It doesn't really do anything the best, it's not the worst at anything either, but consistent across the board and extremely comfortable, especially for two, making it the perennial favorite.

The 990 is the best offroad. But typical finicky euro bike with all it's quirks. Not the ideal 2-up mount.

The 'strada is the sexiest of all and clearly the fastest on road. 150 horsepower on tap - WOW! That would be a ticket machine for me. And talk about finicky and quirky, and expensive, plus forget about one off pavement. Wifey really liked the new titanium matt finish 1200S Touring. You might fit a couple'a shirts and a pair of socks in a pannier.

I could probably be talked into a 990 or a Tenere, but right now a GS looks like the best way to go for us, especially for a low-mile used. Currently in the hunt.

if $$$ is not a problem then u can rent each one for day long and c what u like....

if $$$ is an issue then i would start by checking to c what goes into my price range (u will be surprised.... used GSA can be as much as new 990)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #28308
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,331
Where did you get I test ride the Yamaha?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #28309
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
The F8 is a really nice bike. But the seat on the R1200GS is much nicer, and it is more well suited for 2-up with gear over the road. I'm thinking GS, not GSA. If it's rough enough to need a GSA, then the Husky goes.

Same for the 990, it would be a standard, not a 'S'. Not need the height nor the extra oomph. One of the guys on our trip was going to talk to me about his 990.

Yamaha brought their demo bikes to Malcolm Smiths a few weeks ago so I went out to ride the S10. I dunno, I almost liked the 990 on their floor better. Even though I'm a die-hard KTM enthusiast, I would probably go with the yammer. Way more comfy for 2-up, and better for over the road. A dirty rider is obviously much better on the katoom though.

The Tenere is a helluva lot of bike for the money. But I doubt they'll be able to keep up with BMW for longevity or resale value. Nobody is giving away the tenere's yet.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #28310
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,642
Quote:

I test rode the Super Tenere. Sat on a GS, Multistrada, and 990. I need to ride them all I guess. Of all the assorted bikes out there these are on my shortlist.

The S10 was a bit mild. It is so sorted it is almost boring. From what I understand they can be tweaked a bit to really come alive. Their shaft drive is said to be outstanding. As heavy as it is it feels very light and handles really well.

The GS is always said to be the class leader. It doesn't really do anything the best, it's not the worst at anything either, but consistent across the board and extremely comfortable, especially for two, making it the perennial favorite.

The 990 is the best offroad. But typical finicky euro bike with all it's quirks. Not the ideal 2-up mount.

The 'strada is the sexiest of all and clearly the fastest on road. 150 horsepower on tap - WOW! That would be a ticket machine for me. And talk about finicky and quirky, and expensive, plus forget about one off pavement. Wifey really liked the new titanium matt finish 1200S Touring. You might fit a couple'a shirts and a pair of socks in a pannier.

I could probably be talked into a 990 or a Tenere, but right now a GS looks like the best way to go for us, especially for a low-mile used. Currently in the hunt.

when did you ride a 990 2 up? probably the best bike all around.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #28311
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 771
Chris, I've thought about the same but would want to see what 2-up on easy, easy dirt was like. I've considered driving to Vegas, renting a GS and riding to the Bar10 from Mesquite or Saint George.
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #28312
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
Chris, I've thought about the same but would want to see what 2-up on easy, easy dirt was like. I've considered driving to Vegas, renting a GS and riding to the Bar10 from Mesquite or Saint George.
Those dirt roads would be easy miles with a big bike.

There are a couple of husband-wife teams here that 2-up on their 990's. Looks way fun. I enjoyed reading about big and little wan on their DV treks. I would not try the majority of what they do, nor would my wife, but it sure shows it can be done.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #28313
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,923
easy dirt and long miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
if $$$ is not a problem then u can rent each one for day long and c what u like....

if $$$ is an issue then i would start by checking to c what goes into my price range (u will be surprised.... used GSA can be as much as new 990)
+1

put at least 500 miles in one day before making the call.

i had owned both gs1200 and 950A. soooo.....if i'm built like todd or fudgy, it will be the gsa

big wan and little wan (2-up) rode their 990A to places where i could not make it on my 640. big wan is a big guy too which is a plus, likewise a very good rider. though their kind of adventure may be different than many of us would want to do.

lay the bike down on the grass with luggage, with the help of the wife, see which one is easier to pick up...hahaha.

NSFW screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 12:38 PM
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #28314
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
This was one of the main motives for my recent purchase of my F800GS....to have a bike that can eat up the miles on those rides that include lots of highway miles (such as riding to Alaska) as well as having something more comfortable for riding two up with my girlfriend. Something that is low maintenance too.

I had strongly considered the 990 but I did not feel I would be riding it as aggressively to justify it over the F800GS in regards to the quirks and maintenance. With that in consideration, the F800GS fit my bill more nicely. But I can see why certain riders would prefer the 990 (and those guys usually ride much faster and more aggressively then I do). Both bikes are great, it just all depends on the rider's intended use and preferences. The F800GS was also a nice smaller alternative to the R1200GS and Super Tenere. Probably the best thing to do is figure out your intended use and go to the dealers for a test ride.

I also need to settle on a great smaller bike...I had recently bought Rich's used WR250R as my smaller dual sport bike for the mostly dirt trips and rougher stuff, since it has far better suspension then my clunky DR650. But with all the desert around here there are many times were I wish I had more power. If they made a WR450R it would be perfect. But in the future I may sway towards a LC4 like Joel's, or even the Husky like Chris has....when I have more money that is.

All that said, if it was the zombie apocalypse, or I was to do a around the world ride off the beaten path, or I was relegated back to being able to own just one bike for everything on a budget, I would still jump back on a DR650 in a heart beat.

isaac, you sound and think like an engineer.....
Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #28315
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 771
Joanne has a thing for GS's, I don't, so this would be her only chance to ride on the back of one

Seriously though, I'd love to show her the easy, easy backroads in UT and AZ but if I got a big bike it would be 100% "me" focused, so an SE most likely = just rent anything that she'd want to ride on the back of.

Rich

Quote:
Those dirt roads would be easy miles with a big bike.

There are a couple of husband-wife teams here that 2-up on their 990's. Looks way fun. I enjoyed reading about big and little wan on their DV treks. I would not try the majority of what they do, nor would my wife, but it sure shows it can be done.
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #28316
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains View Post
isaac, you sound and think like an engineer.....
It takes one to spot one!
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #28317
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
Joanne has a thing for GS's, I don't, so this would be her only chance to ride on the back of one

Seriously though, I'd love to show her the easy, easy backroads in UT and AZ but if I got a big bike it would be 100% "me" focused, so an SE most likely = just rent anything that she'd want to ride on the back of.

Rich
gotta have the right bike!

ut and az, don't forget co....

continental divide perhaps in aug or sept 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
It takes one to spot one!

yeah...and when it comes to motorcycle or big toys.....desire > require

i'm still dreaming there will be a ktm 750 v-twin with a drive shaft......and i've said this before "if you paid more than $12K for a bike without a drive shaft.....you've been shafted......
Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #28318
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,352
As Chris knows, I'm out shopping the other direction from him. Maybe we should trade bikes for a couple weeks.

Geez, never imagined it would be so hard to give CASH money to someone who is advertising a bike for sale. I have 3 bikes I'm looking at on Craigslist and can't get a return phone call, text or email. I guess I should be expecing some kind of phone/computer hack cause these bikes must be phish bait.

Anybody have a plated dirt bike sitting in the garage as an extra bike, no time to ride, collecting dust?

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #28319
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
As Chris knows, I'm out shopping the other direction from him. Maybe we should trade bikes for a couple weeks.

Geez, never imagined it would be so hard to give CASH money to someone who is advertising a bike for sale. I have 3 bikes I'm looking at on Craigslist and can't get a return phone call, text or email. I guess I should be expecing some kind of phone/computer hack cause these bikes must be phish bait.

Anybody have a plated dirt bike sitting in the garage as an extra bike, no time to ride, collecting dust?
I've got a 630 with your name on it.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #28320
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
I've got a 630 with your name on it.
I thought it was my name on it??

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT