ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #28351
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddler990 View Post

i could always put a hitch on the back and tow a motorclyce trailer.
[/quote]

+1
MNCherryinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #28352
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
I finally got off the fence regarding buying a small(er) dirt bike. Thanks to all that have offered to let me try out their bikes.

Mind is made up though ...decided to work on the Chevelle as it's been sitting in the garage neglected for too long. This week the beast had the rear end rebuilt and new set of gears, engine bay cleaned up and dyno'd. Some misc parts over the next few weeks and off to the paint shop. The value seems to hold better on the car than on another bike. Plus I know I would just hurt myself trying to do stupid stuff on the smaller bike. The big GS at least keeps me from riding like a maniac (nothing against those who do though).

wise move todd, that means you're a grown up who wants a bigger toy and more wheels.....

seriously, small bike <525 is nice to have, though i haven't rode mine since january. and the xr4 since a year 1/2 ago. prefer a bigger bike like what chris is doing for long distance comfort riding. maybe a triumph 1200 or anything with a driveshaft.

at 2,200 miles... , the blue bike started to leak oil at the FD. bmw had 5 recalls on this bike, and will fix it at no charge. i wanted to take it to irv seaver but ventura is a lot closer.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #28353
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990 View Post

I could always put a hitch on the back and tow a motorclyce trailer.
[/QUOTE]

like the old sage said,
'with age, comes cage'
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #28354
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 761
someone even smarter said:

"you don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding".
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #28355
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Yikes, that venom yellow almost looks as fast as red

I finally got off the fence regarding buying a small(er) dirt bike. Thanks to all that have offered to let me try out their bikes.

Mind is made up though ...decided to work on the Chevelle as it's been sitting in the garage neglected for too long. This week the beast had the rear end rebuilt and new set of gears, engine bay cleaned up and dyno'd. Some misc parts over the next few weeks and off to the paint shop. The value seems to hold better on the car than on another bike. Plus I know I would just hurt myself trying to do stupid stuff on the smaller bike. The big GS at least keeps me from riding like a maniac (nothing against those who do though).

Here's the before shot, hoping by early Sept to post the after shot. Joel, sorry for posting a car on your thread!

after you get the car pimped and a few new borads you will still want another bike...
so what hurts more? a fall at 60mph on a big bike or a fall at 30mph on a small bike
Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #28356
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,466
Quote:
Yikes, that venom yellow almost looks as fast as red

Here's the before shot, hoping by early Sept to post the after shot. Joel, sorry for posting a car on your thread!

dont kid yourself, get a small bike too. getting a small bike will make you a way better big bike rider. nice car, 4-speed?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #28357
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
This past weekend I went for a ride. After about 10 months without having my G650X (not going into details) I finally got it back and knew it was time to hit the road. I commuted about 100 miles in and around LA running a few errands before I was loaded up and headed to Viroqua, WI to visit family and work (gasp!) for a bit.

Friday morning at 4:45am I hit the road and left for breakfast in Vegas.

Nothing like Ronald's donuts (vegan!) and coffee (minus the styrofoam cup).

It was a little dark when I left so here's my set up outside of Ronalds.

I spent somewhere between 1-1/2 to 2 hours in Vegas having breakfast, refueling, airing up my tires (up to mid 30's - forgot to check when I left), facebooking, and rearranging a few items for faster access on the road. With such a long time away from this bike I had forgotten some of my routine and set up for easy travel. With all being set I continued heading east.

I was originally going to leave as early as Wednesday that week so I could take my time lallygagging my way 8 states away but other things came up delaying my departure. I also wasn't quite sure how long it would take me with this set up. As you can tell I'm running a full set of knobs (D606's) and also had it set with dirt gearing (14/49 vs stock 15/47). When I was putting this bike together again this particular ride wasn't on my mind, but when it happened I didn't quite have the time to swap parts around to make it a more comfortable slab muncher. Oh well. So instead, I tried to remember to keep my stops small (outside of the Vegas stop), and just keep on moving. So I apologize in advance for the lack of photos and quality of such as I only used my phone for this segment.

Soon enough I had crossed into Arizona and then Utah. I forget how much I appreciate UT's beauty even though it's 100+ degrees out. In fact I didn't even check the weather before or during my ride as it truly didn't matter - that was the direction I needed to go regardless of the weather. Unfortunately I got to Fruita, CO after my buddy's coffee shop had closed - a little spro would had hit the spot. Around 11pm I was crossing Vail's pass at over 11,000'. Yes it was cold and no I did not have electrics outside of grips with me. Soon enough I descended into Denver but not before this.

By this time I was tired and ready to rest. My GPS found a hostel in Denver and I called to see if they had space. When I got there I didn't like the situation where the bike was going to be since I had no intention of removing my bags when I was only going to sleep the hours I needed. So I motored back to the highway and up 76 towards Nebraska. If you've been on this road before you know there's not much of services along route. I did find a rest area and went inside and had a free heated space just to myself - and anyone else walking to the restrooms. Ha!

Some time the next morning I finally did cross into Nebraska.

I had been making much better time than I had expected. In Iowa I flipped a coin. Heads I detour north into Minnesota to see my parents and my best friend that was still in the hospital from open heart surgery, or Tails continue to my sister's in Viroqua, WI.

See you soon mom.

At dinner I also took some time to arrange a breakfast with some friends the following morning.

I was now on the home stretch, but since I detoured my route was actually going to be short of 2,000 miles so I added in a few points to make a loop in Minneapolis and St Paul before ending at my parents.

Finally tally.

This is what my tires looked like approximately 2,300 miles later after I arrived in WI.

I too was pretty surprised how much tire was left when I got here. I guess when you're not heavy breaking/accelerating, sliding into/through/out of a turn, or roosting knobs can last a bit longer.

I hope to take a mostly dirt route back to LA when the time is right.

Enjoy your summer gents!
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #28358
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Kiecker View Post
This past weekend I went for a ride. After about 10 months without having my G650X (not going into details) I finally got it back and knew it was time to hit the road. I commuted about 100 miles in and around LA running a few errands before I was loaded up and headed to Viroqua, WI to visit family and work (gasp!) for a bit.

Friday morning at 4:45am I hit the road and left for breakfast in Vegas.

Nothing like Ronald's donuts (vegan!) and coffee (minus the styrofoam cup).

It was a little dark when I left so here's my set up outside of Ronalds.

I spent somewhere between 1-1/2 to 2 hours in Vegas having breakfast, refueling, airing up my tires (up to mid 30's - forgot to check when I left), facebooking, and rearranging a few items for faster access on the road. With such a long time away from this bike I had forgotten some of my routine and set up for easy travel. With all being set I continued heading east.

I was originally going to leave as early as Wednesday that week so I could take my time lallygagging my way 8 states away but other things came up delaying my departure. I also wasn't quite sure how long it would take me with this set up. As you can tell I'm running a full set of knobs (D606's) and also had it set with dirt gearing (14/49 vs stock 15/47). When I was putting this bike together again this particular ride wasn't on my mind, but when it happened I didn't quite have the time to swap parts around to make it a more comfortable slab muncher. Oh well. So instead, I tried to remember to keep my stops small (outside of the Vegas stop), and just keep on moving. So I apologize in advance for the lack of photos and quality of such as I only used my phone for this segment.

Soon enough I had crossed into Arizona and then Utah. I forget how much I appreciate UT's beauty even though it's 100+ degrees out. In fact I didn't even check the weather before or during my ride as it truly didn't matter - that was the direction I needed to go regardless of the weather. Unfortunately I got to Fruita, CO after my buddy's coffee shop had closed - a little spro would had hit the spot. Around 11pm I was crossing Vail's pass at over 11,000'. Yes it was cold and no I did not have electrics outside of grips with me. Soon enough I descended into Denver but not before this.

By this time I was tired and ready to rest. My GPS found a hostel in Denver and I called to see if they had space. When I got there I didn't like the situation where the bike was going to be since I had no intention of removing my bags when I was only going to sleep the hours I needed. So I motored back to the highway and up 76 towards Nebraska. If you've been on this road before you know there's not much of services along route. I did find a rest area and went inside and had a free heated space just to myself - and anyone else walking to the restrooms. Ha!

Some time the next morning I finally did cross into Nebraska.

I had been making much better time than I had expected. In Iowa I flipped a coin. Heads I detour north into Minnesota to see my parents and my best friend that was still in the hospital from open heart surgery, or Tails continue to my sister's in Viroqua, WI.

See you soon mom.

At dinner I also took some time to arrange a breakfast with some friends the following morning.

I was now on the home stretch, but since I detoured my route was actually going to be short of 2,000 miles so I added in a few points to make a loop in Minneapolis and St Paul before ending at my parents.

Finally tally.

This is what my tires looked like approximately 2,300 miles later after I arrived in WI.

I too was pretty surprised how much tire was left when I got here. I guess when you're not heavy breaking/accelerating, sliding into/through/out of a turn, or roosting knobs can last a bit longer.

Enjoy your summer gents!

niiiiice!!!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #28359
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Kiecker View Post

Finally tally.

Enjoy your summer gents!

good to hear someone's doing a long ride!

have fun mark.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #28360
Klammer
Old and Grumpy

Oddometer: 2,337
Cool2

NSFW = No Sympathy For Whinners! ! !
Save $5.00 on SmugMug (coupon vJQj53lXRtVfs) http://smugmug.com/
Klammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #28361
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,884
I am heading out Sunday, I overheard a guy at the local BMW shop saying that he ran his TKCs at 38 PSI when he had to slab any distance at all. Max pressure is 35, is this just nuts or does the bit of overinflation acturally save the knobs?

I am at 35PSI now and not real interested in going up unless there is a solid reason for doing so.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #28362
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I am heading out Sunday, I overheard a guy at the local BMW shop saying that he ran his TKCs at 38 PSI when he had to slab any distance at all. Max pressure is 35, is this just nuts or does the bit of overinflation acturally save the knobs?

I am at 35PSI now and not real interested in going up unless there is a solid reason for doing so.

When I ran the TKC, I ran them at the factory recommended 36 front and 40 rear.

You're running high speeds, temperatures, and lots of weight.. Keep the pressure up a bit.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #28363
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klammer View Post
NSFW = No Sympathy For Whinners! ! !

No Such Thing as a Whinner

Not A Word

Congrats on the new job!

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #28364
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:

Funny you brought this up. A buddy just went by 4,500 miles on his TKC's and they look better than my take offs that have less than 2,500 miles. He told me he's running 38-40 psi. Seems to be the ticket for the GS

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #28365
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:

when i had TKC's 40psi at all times.... Tomer does it till now on his 1150GSA and he get 4k out of them