ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #28966
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,595
Right on Tim.... You rode it all at night too, I bet.. Sounds suspicious to me

I rode up to Jalama Beach with that guy formerly known as Yzlvr.... Remember him?

We were followed in by a group of mostly Harley riding women called the Chrome Divas...

One of em had to use the front brake on Jalama Beach Road and laid her down.... Didn't even tear her jeans, but the bikes gonna need some new BeDazzling done...

Stayed close to the ocean for nice cool temps again.

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #28967
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
No, I know better than to ride Baja after dark. Flat tires kept me in Yuma on Friday night, then I headed south of the border on Saturday morning. Headed back this morning.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #28968
mskaufman84
n00b

Oddometer: 1
New riders on DR350ses

Hey guys... im new here and just got my first motorcycle... a 1997 dr350se. Id like to do a little adventure ride with my buddy leaving from Los Angeles... prob around the end of October this year.. maybe a mix of highways and dirt roads (we'd like to avoid freeways as the drs dont like to cruise much above 55 or 60.) We were thinking maybe taking PCH up and then cutting over to hwy 33 up through ojai and then back to the coast... Ive driven that road before and it was pretty gorgeous. We're thinking of doing this over a long weekend.. maybe 2 or three nights. Any recommendations on where to go or what to see? Also... google maps isnt great about showing dirt roads we could take.
Heres a beginning idea of what we're thinking.
http://goo.gl/maps/GnyKu
Thanks for any help!
Matt
mskaufman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #28969
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by headstaller View Post
Got carried away... loose sand/dirt cut short my trip. Broken instrument panel and rear view mirrors, nursing bruised shoulder... But the scenery is awesome.

sorry to hear about the crash. good to hear you're ok. bike can be fixed. hope it didn't leave a negative thoughts on you. gotta take it with caution. i crashed a lot when i was starting. take a riding class, it helps.l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskaufman84 View Post
Hey guys... im new here and just got my first motorcycle... a 1997 dr350se. Id like to do a little adventure ride with my buddy leaving from Los Angeles... prob around the end of October this year.. maybe a mix of highways and dirt roads (we'd like to avoid freeways as the drs dont like to cruise much above 55 or 60.) We were thinking maybe taking PCH up and then cutting over to hwy 33 up through ojai and then back to the coast... Ive driven that road before and it was pretty gorgeous. We're thinking of doing this over a long weekend.. maybe 2 or three nights. Any recommendations on where to go or what to see? Also... google maps isnt great about showing dirt roads we could take.
Heres a beginning idea of what we're thinking.
http://goo.gl/maps/GnyKu
Thanks for any help!
Matt
congrats matt on your first bike. there's not really any easy dirt in the area you mentioned. carrizo plains is the only one comes to mind. east and west camino cielo above santa barbara are also easy to get to. first, get to know the bike, go for a ride without the camping gear. learn how to fix a flat if you don't know how yet.

have fun.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #28970
russt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
$100 off Sidi Crossfire

Just a heads up to anyone in So. California.

Chaparral Motosports has a deal starting Saturday 6 Oct- 31 Oct. Bring in any pair of motorcycle boots; street, moto, adults, kids, old, new...any pair of motorcycle boots, and receive a $100 credit towards Sidi Crossfires. Just passing along the deal, thought the LA crowd would benefit from this. Not sure how it works for mail orders, so I am posting it here.

I do not work for/ with Chaparral or Sidi, just found the deal and thought others might be interested.
russt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #28971
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,463
So, not to belabor the point, but yet again I have proved the big GS to be just as capable of any small or mid size dirt bike.

Even with the disadvantage of those huge cylinder heads sticking out, as you can see in this picture, I can lay the big GS as flat as any dirt bike out there.

Riding in Big Bear on Sunday (photo by jnyrav)

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #28972
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,541

That looks expensive!

Anyone riding this weekend?
I have a free riding pass this weekend and I want to use it. Anyone want to do a Big bear/ Arrowhead ride this weekend?
I was even contemplating doing an over-nighter Friday Night to Sat. Start at Newcombs end up tenting it in Big Bear then take the long way home?
If anyone’s interested in riding this area this weekend speak up. I open to anything, even just a day ride: Cleghorn to Big Bear and back all levels??
Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #28973
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post

That looks expensive!

I have a free riding pass this weekend and I want to use it. Anyone want to do a Big bear/ Arrowhead ride this weekend?
I was even contemplating doing an over-nighter Friday Night to Sat. Start at Newcombs end up tenting it in Big Bear then take the long way home?
If anyone’s interested in riding this area this weekend speak up. I open to anything, even just a day ride: Cleghorn to Big Bear and back all levels??
sat plans can change....
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #28974
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post

That looks expensive!

hard to believe, but only a small scratch on the crash bars ... the GS is a pretty tuff machine.

Big Bear was beautiful last weekend, supposed to be nice again this weekend.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #28975
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post

I rode up to Jalama Beach with that guy formerly known as Yzlvr.... Remember him?

We were followed in by a group of mostly Harley riding women called the Chrome Divas...

One of em had to use the front brake on Jalama Beach Road and laid her down.... Didn't even tear her jeans, but the bikes gonna need some new BeDazzling done...

Stayed close to the ocean for nice cool temps again.

I gave one of the Divas a hard time at work today, after she did not include the laydown in her verbal report. Did you guys do the crash guard fix? (I've been searching for additional paperwork for you. Will send what I have...)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #28976
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
So, not to belabor the point, but yet again I have proved the big GS to be just as capable of any small or mid size dirt bike.

Even with the disadvantage of those huge cylinder heads sticking out, as you can see in this picture, I can lay the big GS as flat as any dirt bike out there.

Riding in Big Bear on Sunday (photo by jnyrav)

that's an almost perfect bubba scrub! you just need to stay on the bike a little better next time.
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #28977
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zorrillo View Post
that's an almost perfect bubba scrub! you just need to stay on the bike a little better next time.

The truth be told, I was caught in this picture hypnotizing my GS, "you are in a deep sleep ... when I snap my finger you will believe you are a KTM 525 exc."

Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #28978
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
The truth be told, I was caught in this picture hypnotizing my GS, "you are in a deep sleep ... when I snap my finger you will believe you are a KTM 525 exc."

Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #28979
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
I gave one of the Divas a hard time at work today, after she did not include the laydown in her verbal report. Did you guys do the crash guard fix? (I've been searching for additional paperwork for you. Will send what I have...)

Are you kidding, half of them, ahem, ladies probably climb poles like Dunerat or working in the Steel Mills or something.. They take care of their own.... In more ways than riding

Thanks for looking for the PaperWork.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #28980
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
cooler riding season is almost here

oct 27 and 28 - big bear

anyone will be interested doing at least one more run to big bear before the snow?

those who pinged me looking for rides, here's the first open ride. 1 or 2 days, depends on those going.

the other option is sequoia nat'l forest - big bike and overnight camping.

nov. 10 - husky monument

the desert should be cooler by then. stage out of mojave. similar ride we did last year. big and small bikes. 2 groups (easy and challenging)

please post up here if you're interested in one of them or both. no pm.

suggestions?....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote