ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #29296
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Anybody try the Kenda Big Block yet?

Bundy
That's all I ran for the last 25k miles I put on my 1150. The front Big Block is a lot stiffer sidewall than the TKC, the rear makes a 908 look like a rubber band.

They get about the same mileage as the TKC's, just for half the money.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #29297
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Ok maybe a dumb question, but with a 19 inch front wheel on a big ass bike like BMW. Wouldn't it be better offroad to run a rear hard terrain offroad tire? Do they make 606 in 19 inch size? I'd bet they would stick a lot better in dirt and prob be cheaper. Maybe suck on pavement but since its just rolling on the front and not driving, it should last a little bit.
The big BMWs use tubeless tires and no rim locks, so the bead fits differently than a tubed tire.

The factory BMW riders used 19" Kenda Trackmasters on the front wheels of the GSAs on LAB2V a few years ago. Las Vegas BMW set them up, so if you call Kurt at the shop, he can probably tell you if they used tubes and rimlocks with them or not. Disclaimer: Factory sponsored guys probably had fresh tires for both days and got free reign to ride brand new bikes like they were stolen.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #29298
DannyG
I have the waypoint.
 
DannyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
I have no idea how any of you guys get that kind of mileage out of the TKC... I used to get absolutely no more than 4k out of a front and usually more in the 3,500 mile range. As for the rear... never more than 3k or so and I burned a few up in just over 1K

That was on my R1150GSAdv.

same on my GS in the good old days (when i used it for off-road)...
front max 4k and rear 2500... keep PSI in high 30ies low 40s (same dirt or not)..
__________________
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller (1880 – 1968)
My toys: 00 GS1150; 84 Ericson 30+
DannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #29299
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Hoping my seat comes in time.
got mine last week.....

great service!

oooo.....aaaahh, awesome quality, looks good and comfy..........the best part - i can touch the ground now...




i have tkc 21 on the 640 now, 1600 miles and 50% worn. hopefully another 1.5K
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #29300
Off Limits
Really?
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
The big BMWs use tubeless tires and no rim locks, so the bead fits differently than a tubed tire.

The factory BMW riders used 19" Kenda Trackmasters on the front wheels of the GSAs on LAB2V a few years ago. Las Vegas BMW set them up, so if you call Kurt at the shop, he can probably tell you if they used tubes and rimlocks with them or not. Disclaimer: Factory sponsored guys probably had fresh tires for both days and got free reign to ride brand new bikes like they were stolen.
BMW has factory riders for dual sport rides? That's amazing! I made the tire question because I've seen supermoto bikes running rear knobbies on the front. In ride reports and such.
__________________
We are not Assholes, we just see things the way they are! Selfish people live longer.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 AM   #29301
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
BMW has factory riders for dual sport rides?
They did for LAB2V a few years ago.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #29302
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,916
nov. 10 husky ride

light rain here in burbank right now. more in the next 2 days.

mojave looking good this saturday...



7-DAY FORECAST @ Mojave
Today Areas of blowing dust. Partly sunny, with a temperature rising to near 64 by noon, then falling to around 58 during the remainder of the day. Breezy, with a southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Friday A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Friday Night A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. Windy, with a west northwest wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #29303
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer
 
M1Jeep's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Lakewood, CA
Oddometer: 1,862
Niiice!
__________________
Rich
DR650SE
My Smugmug
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #29304
Off Limits
Really?
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
light rain here in burbank right now. more in the next 2 days.

mojave looking good this saturday...



7-DAY FORECAST @ Mojave
Today Areas of blowing dust. Partly sunny, with a temperature rising to near 64 by noon, then falling to around 58 during the remainder of the day. Breezy, with a southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Friday A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Friday Night A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. Windy, with a west northwest wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 35. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.


Burrrr
__________________
We are not Assholes, we just see things the way they are! Selfish people live longer.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #29305
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer
 
rider914's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Oddometer: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
Saturday Mostly sunny...


-M
__________________
'05 950ADV
'04 525EXC D/S
'07 Tiger1050
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #29306
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
Burrrr
Yeah, no shit. I'm a wuss.

I'm gonna stay home, sign refi papers on the house, and go to the chiropractor.

The refi knocked off about $400 a month so wifey got a new car. She's really happy.

My back is (still) a F'd up mess.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR • Laguna Seca 2012 RR • Sequoia 3-Day Campout • Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #29307
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,534
Toast and I will be at the Starbucks at the 405 and Devonshire at 6:00am....rolling out at 6:20....for those who wanna ride up...(Yo Traveltoad)....
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #29308
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Toast and traveltoad I will be at the Starbucks at the 405 and Devonshire at 6:00am....rolling out at 6:20....
fixed...
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #29309
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
fixed...
niiiice.....
__________________
'14 1190R...Adventure Beast
'13 690 Quest...Rally Beast
950SE......Desert Beast
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #29310
scorpion
Two arm bandit
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Planet Reno
Oddometer: 5,352
I sure miss the Mojavi
but then I can ride all the way to NM all on dirt
__________________

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014