ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #30121
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,333
Joel, how did the shake down ride go?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #30122
Nubs
Bacon fueled

Oddometer: 74
Bummed I missed this group ride. Apparently Charley Boorman just finished a series in the US and there was a ride from Mugu down to Malibu. Anybody ride this?

Ride Along PCH with Charley Boorman and Extreme Frontiers Crew

Charley Boorman and Extreme Frontiers: USA Motorcycle Convoy
Along Pacific Coast Highway
WHO: Charley Boorman has teamed up with Brand USA, to “Discover America like Never Before”, and EagleRider, for his new TV show Extreme Frontiers: USA.
WHAT: Join the Extreme Frontiers: USA Motorcycle Convoy
Charley Boorman and the Extreme Frontiers crew will wrap up their six-week adventure through 20 states with a motorcycle convoy along Pacific Coast Highway. Motorcycle riders may join Charley and the crew as they travel from Ventura County to Santa Monica.
WHEN: Saturday, August 3 at 8:00 am (Convoy will assemble at 7:30am)
WHERE: Assemble at Point Mugu--311 Main Road, Point Mugu, CA 93042-5033 (Parking lot outside of Bldg. 3 on Naval Air Road)
The convoy will travel south on Pacific Coast Highway to the Anneberg Community Beach House(415 Pacific Coast Highway in Santa Monica, California).
Drive time: Approximately one (1) hour
FOLLOWED
BY: Wrap Party at 2pm – Join Extreme Frontiers: USA, Brand USA, Visit California, EagleRider and Deus Ex Machina for a wrap party with live music and a few special guests!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #30123
Bonsai Elephant
Barrus Vegrandis

Oddometer: 18,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
Bummed I missed this group ride. Apparently Charley Boorman just finished a series in the US and there was a ride from Mugu down to Malibu. Anybody ride this?

Charley Boorman and Extreme Frontiers: USA Motorcycle Convoy
Along Pacific Coast Highway
WHO: Charley Boorman has teamed up with Brand USA, to “Discover America like Never Before”, and EagleRider, for his new TV show Extreme Frontiers: USA.
WHAT: Join the Extreme Frontiers: USA Motorcycle Convoy
Charley Boorman and the Extreme Frontiers crew will wrap up their six-week adventure through 20 states with a motorcycle convoy along Pacific Coast Highway. Motorcycle riders may join Charley and the crew as they travel from Ventura County to Santa Monica.
WHEN: Saturday, August 3 at 8:00 am (Convoy will assemble at 7:30am)
WHERE: Assemble at Point Mugu--311 Main Road, Point Mugu, CA 93042-5033 (Parking lot outside of Bldg. 3 on Naval Air Road)
The convoy will travel south on Pacific Coast Highway to the Anneberg Community Beach House(415 Pacific Coast Highway in Santa Monica, California).
Drive time: Approximately one (1) hour
FOLLOWED
BY: Wrap Party at 2pm – Join Extreme Frontiers: USA, Brand USA, Visit California, EagleRider and Deus Ex Machina for a wrap party with live music and a few special guests!
Calling Johnny Dakar to the Blue courtesy phone!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #30124
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
It's a Ty Davis 449.

Not going to be around anymore since KTM swallowed Husky.
Nice!

Yep, just wondering what will happen to the Husky brand under KTM?

So sad to see what has happened to that former Swedish icon dirt bike company!
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #30125
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,922

...oh! What a celeb-miss! A chance to ride with Charlie B for a whole hour.

'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 10:35 AM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #30126
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
Calling Johnny Dakar to the Blue courtesy phone!
It was pretty cool. I totally creeped out his daughters.

"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #30127
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999 View Post
Nice!

Yep, just wondering what will happen to the Husky brand under KTM?

So sad to see what has happened to that former Swedish icon dirt bike company!
Husqvarna is getting merged back in with Husaberg. The latter is the one going away. KTM bought 'berg for the 4-stroke racing technology, and whitepower suspension. So that's where the KTM tech came from - Husqvarna via Husaberg.

What Johngil was getting at is the 449/511 bmw powered bikes will be no more. The new bikes will either have KTM motors, or they'll finish development on anything left in the works from either marque - husaberg or husqvarna.

But yes, the husky brand has been plagued with poor management through the years. When Cagiva bought them they did a poor job of getting development completed and bikes built. There weren't very many of them through the 90's and '00's. Starting about what, 2006-7 we finally saw some real motorcycles in numbers? BMW infused a ton of money, and we just know the design influence had to create internal strife. BMW's failed G450 was handed off to the husky guys to do something with it. The Italian motors could not meet stringent new emissions requirments both here and in Europe so the rotax mill was the best option for Husqvarna going forward. There are fans and there detractors for that motor.

The biggest opportunity for the new company are the emerging markets in China, India, Asia, and latin american nations, where there are millions of motorbikes sold for general transportation. IMO that is the target of the purchase of the husky brand by KTM's conglomerate. They don't really need to compete with themselves, the KTM offroad market we're all familiar with.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #30128
Bonsai Elephant
Barrus Vegrandis

Oddometer: 18,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
It was pretty cool. I totally creeped out his daughters.

There's two jailbaits and one sexy bitch in that shot!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #30129
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
There's two jailbaits and one sexy bitch in that shot!

"I'm going 'round the world on my motorbike!"
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #30130
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
Joel, how did the shake down ride go?

yeah, did about 140 miles and the xr4 didn't let me down. lots of torque and good throttle response. on pavement i can do 50mph comfortably (15/45 gearing), it can do faster but my teeth fillings start to fall out. at 6.6k feet, i could feel the engine bogging down. maybe by raising the clip by 1 notch, it will run better.

honda should have built the xr at the beginning with a magic button and pumper carb. loving the bike and been riding it to work. reliability, simplicity and low maintenance could never be beat.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #30131
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
york, no one i know went. thought of riding along but my street bike has a dead battery.

thread here....http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907489

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Good turnout. Fun ride down PCH.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #30132
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
The party at Deus was fun too!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #30133
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Good to hear you have a renewed love affair with your xr after her upgrades. Gotta love the simplicity of the Japanese bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
yeah, did about 140 miles and the xr4 didn't let me down. lots of torque and good throttle response. on pavement i can do 50mph comfortably (15/45 gearing), it can do faster but my teeth fillings start to fall out. at 6.6k feet, i could feel the engine bogging down. maybe by raising the clip by 1 notch, it will run better.

honda should have built the xr at the beginning with a magic button and pumper carb. loving the bike and been riding it to work. reliability, simplicity and low maintenance could never be beat.

My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #30134
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee

Oddometer: 6,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
Good to hear you have a renewed love affair with your xr after her upgrades. Gotta love the simplicity of the Japanese bikes.
That is what keeps me riding my 650L. That and now that I have TX sized her, she is imore fun to ride. Still some things to sort out, but much better!
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #30135
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

The ultimate dual sport BRP Honda would've been a street legal XR650R with the L's E starter.

But, I'm extremely happy with my XR650L, I ride it every where and has been stone reliable for the past 4 years! After ruggedizing & rejetting it, it does well in the dirt & will easily do 75 MPH on the freeway. It always puts a smile on my face, and is a nice canyon carver in addition to handling freeway and dirt duty well.

I have a gleaming thought of picking up an XR650R and seriously motarding it out for track day use. Then putting a dual sport kit on my WR250!

Work is getting back to normal now after 2+ years of pure hell, so I'll be hitting some of your rides Joel when I'm not mtn biking, MXing, dual sporting, or blasting around Gorman.
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote