ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #30406
Off Limits
Banned
 
Off Limits's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Camp Snoopy
Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbya1213p View Post
Hey dudes. I just moved to L.A. From Florida. I have a dr650, I feel pretty comfortable on most offroad stuff, but with that said I am from Florida so the canyons and fire roads that Ive done since I've been here are have been a new beast( cliff on one side and wall on the other) anyways I have no clue on good rides around here, I've been doing research, but the best way to learn is following the guys that know. Hope to join in some rides.
Plenty of riding all winter long. M1 has a dr650. I have a dr650. Everything around here is the best the day after a rain. This weekend the dez or the mountains should be epic!
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #30407
Earl999
Studly Adventurer
 
Earl999's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Limits View Post
Plenty of riding all winter long. M1 has a dr650. I have a dr650. Everything around here is the best the day after a rain. This weekend the dez or the mountains should be epic!
Gorman was beyond epic this past Saturday, it was still raining lightly when we arrived and over cast all day! We had a BLAST, it was traction PLUS and we also rode the new Raven Ridge trail.

Pronghorn was unreal, it was graded a few weeks ago and it was stellar! Tatavium was absolutely amazing with puddles and berm shots galore every turn.

We're all still buzzing & raving about Saturday, and how that was about the best day of dirt biking we've all had in a few years!
__________________
Honda XR650L (Dual Sport)
Honda CR250R (2 Smoke MX)
Honda CR500AF (Awesome machine!)
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #30408
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell
Oddometer: 8,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999 View Post
Gorman was beyond epic this past Saturday, it was still raining lightly when we arrived and over cast all day! We had a BLAST, it was traction PLUS and we also rode the new Raven Ridge trail.

Pronghorn was unreal, it was graded a few weeks ago and it was stellar! Tatavium was absolutely amazing with puddles and berm shots galore every turn.

We're all still buzzing & raving about Saturday, and how that was about the best day of dirt biking we've all had in a few years!

What part of Gorman?
__________________
'09 450 EXC Nani Roma Limited/'08 R1200R-Gone to the Hipsters/'02 Dirty lil KTM400EXC-gone to a good home/'10 WR290X/R buhbye!
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #30409
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
no dust ride









unplanned night ride........







ride report coming
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #30410
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slugdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: better you don't know
Oddometer: 222
if that's quatal canyon
the pozo ride must right around the corner
ready 2b?
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #30411
pcvance
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
no dust ride









unplanned night ride........







ride report coming
Ok Joel, what's the deal? You have that badass 350 and you choose to ride an old Honda?
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #30412
Earl999
Studly Adventurer
 
Earl999's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
What part of Gorman?
All of it, we rode for almost 4 hours straight with just a few hydration stops.

Parked at the main gate area and hit all of my fav trails; Cow, Mesa, Backbone, Vic's Cat, Badlands, Upper & Lower Brohm, Pronghorn, Tatavium, West Freeman sand wash, and the new Raven Ridge trail. Frazier mtn was covered with snow, and the gates were locked at the main access points. But, the back entrances from Frazier Park may be open (?).

It was freaking awesome! I'm still buzzing and my buds are too!
__________________
Honda XR650L (Dual Sport)
Honda CR250R (2 Smoke MX)
Honda CR500AF (Awesome machine!)
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #30413
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Ok Joel, what's the deal? You have that badass 350 and you choose to ride an old Honda?
If you were gonna fling a bike off a cliff into a canyon in the snow, would you use a new KTM or an old Honda?



tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #30414
pcvance
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
If you were gonna fling a bike off a cliff into a canyon in the snow, would you use a new KTM or an old Honda?



Definitely the Honda.
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #30415
johngil
Reseda, CA
 
johngil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 3,678
Put in close to 350 miles in southern Arizona this weekend. Very wet on Saturday, but Sunday was perfect!

johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #30416
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,565
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #30417
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdad View Post
if that's quatal canyon
the pozo ride must right around the corner
ready 2b?
yes bill....3rd or last weekend of january 2014......

the question is....will it be cold enough.....




Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Ok Joel, what's the deal? You have that badass 350 and you choose to ride an old Honda?


perry, i would love to take the 350, but could not finish the valve adjustment the night before i left for this trip.

still glad i rode the honda.....

i proved it's a capable bike with the new set up, new pumper carbed jetting worked great at over 5K feet and 44F temp, then the electrical starter was flawless - without it, it would be very tiring.

then, having engine break helped me get down the slick mountain trail. the 350 with rekluse - i have no idea how that will work going downhill in snow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
If you were gonna fling a bike off a cliff into a canyon in the snow, would you use a new KTM or an old Honda?
the 350....i love my almost old skool xr4...


it was a crazy ride...but tim calls it..."character building"....





thanks tim and lior, without your valuable support i will never make it down from that canyon.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #30418
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Put in close to 350 miles in southern Arizona this weekend. Very wet on Saturday, but Sunday was perfect!


beautiful pic john. glad to see you're out there getting your dose of dirt.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #30419
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
then, having engine break helped me get down the slick mountain trail. the 350 with rekluse - i have no idea how that will work going downhill in snow.


Plenty of engine braking with Rekluse if its set up correctly......

That's what almost all of us (read, smart ones, and with rear brake on the bars) use in the SQNF, and you MUST be able to engine brake up there... I think the only people holding out are Perry and Grinchie. I won't mention Jungle, because he's barely classifiable as a person.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #30420
pcvance
Walk Verplank
 
pcvance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Sequoia Country
Oddometer: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Plenty of engine braking with Rekluse if its set up correctly......

That's what almost all of us (read, smart ones, and with rear brake on the bars) use in the SQNF, and you MUST be able to engine brake up there... I think the only people holding out are Perry and Grinchie. I won't mention Jungle, because he's barely classifiable as a person.
I have one in the box, just not on the bike, yet....

Tarzan is not a person?
__________________
KTM 640-E / KTM 525 EXC CENTRAL VALLEY DUAL SPORT RIDES / RIDERS Sequoia-So Cal / STEWARDS OF THE SEQUOIA / STEWARDS OF THE SIERRA NATIONAL FOREST
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014