ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #30421
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
mine is an core exp and has been set up correctly;already put over 500 miles and loving it..... 98% of the time. i get plenty of engine braking going downhill but not the same with a manual clutch type that provides excellent engine compression at IDLE or even when the engine is off.

it was funny when i was doing the valve adjustment, i realized the rear wheel is completely disengaged even when the tranny was in first gear. duh, i can't do the tdc, unless i remove the stator cover and turn the main shaft with a skt wrench and carefull not to spill oil. another plus of the 350, it has a stator window that i can access the main shaft, but i don't have a 17mm hex key to unscrew it....

i also installed a tachometer so i can see at what rpm when the clutch starting to engage and the bike starts moving while i'm sitting on the bike. higher rpm will improve the engagement but at the cost of wearing out the clutch plates and contaminating the oil (not really a big issue, it's a needy ktm to begin with)

the rekluse website says one can do a bumpstart ...but wasn't very specific on how. my guess is adjust the slave cylinder so it will be tight.

anyway, i enjoy wrenching on my bikes and any good advice is welcome.

thanks rob thinking out for me.

sounds good perry.

Just wanted to be sure you're getting the most of it. Too many Rekluse haters out there due to lack of knowledge of their capabilities. Enjoy.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #30422
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
Just wanted to be sure you're getting the most of it. Too many Rekluse haters out there due to lack of knowledge of their capabilities. Enjoy.
Yes rob, an auto clutch comes along as you get older and slower.
You see, when you are young, you start out with an auto clutch to learn the concept of riding. Then you graduate to a real clutch. As you age you get an electric start bike. Then later the auto clutch comes back right before you start riding CRF 230s because you don't want to ride a full size bike anymore. After that comes the golf cart and Medicare card. It's all in the cycle of a dirt bike riders life. :) stay young and clutch it while you still can!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #30423
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,345
Here we go!

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #30424
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Here we go!
You're just mad your GS doesn't have an auto-clutch.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #30425
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Limits View Post
Yes rob, an auto clutch comes along as you get older and slower.
You see, when you are young, you start out with an auto clutch to learn the concept of riding. Then you graduate to a real clutch. As you age you get an electric start bike. Then later the auto clutch comes back right before you start riding CRF 230s because you don't want to ride a full size bike anymore. After that comes the golf cart and Medicare card. It's all in the cycle of a dirt bike riders life. :) stay young and clutch it while you still can!

Well now I know.

Sean, by the time you stop making up excuses about not being able to go riding because you have a three and diaper year old, you'll be old enough to get a Rekluse too. Stop flapping your pie hole and come out on a real ride instead of riding your old man DR650 in the CNF. What part of the cycle of getting older and slower is that?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #30426
Off Limits
Really?

Quote:
Well now I know.

Sean, by the time you stop making up excuses about not being able to go riding because you have a three and diaper year old, you'll be old enough to get a Rekluse too. Stop flapping your pie hole and come out on a real ride instead of riding your old man DR650 in the CNF. What part of the cycle of getting older and slower is that?
Heading out this weekend to ride the desert in the ridgecrest area on my real bike. The DR staying home with the wife and kids.

Yes, owning a DR is a logical step in the advancing age category,aka adventure riding. but no sissy lala auto clutch!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #30427
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,771
Joel you still can get TDC for valve adj just bump the kick starter... Slightly as to not engage the auto decompress....
Old 11-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #30428
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Heading out this weekend to ride the desert in the ridgecrest area on my real bike. The DR staying home with the wife and kids.

Yes, owning a DR is a logical step in the advancing age category,aka adventure riding. but no sissy lala auto clutch!
Well, it happens to all of us sooner or later. . However, I'll be 50 in May. Bought my Dakar in 05, and put it away in 2010 because it made my riding skills go backwards. Been back on the KTM since then. So hopefully when you hit my age, you'll still be cutting up the singles full time on a small bike.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #30429
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R View Post
Joel you still can get TDC for valve adj just bump the kick starter... Slightly as to not engage the auto decompress....
thanks jimmy.......duh, i already forgot that KTMs are kickers too.

there's also the electric start, but didn't really want to mess with that.

will pick up a set of 12, 14 and 17mm hex key at autozone @ $12 on my way home. the 17mm will be the key.

hey, i heard you bought a new 500exc.....damn that's an early holiday gift..... everything i read about the bike is all good! easier to the valve adjustment compared to the 350 because mine has dohc. what a pita! i hugged my xr400 everytime i worked on this little beasty....
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #30430
Off Limits
Really?

Quote:
Well, it happens to all of us sooner or later. . However, I'll be 50 in May. Bought my Dakar in 05, and put it away in 2010 because it made my riding skills go backwards. Been back on the KTM since then. So hopefully when you hit my age, you'll still be cutting up the singles full time on a small bike.
Hmm, every time I ride the 450 after riding the 650, I feel like a super hero!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #30431
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Hmm, every time I ride the 450 after riding the 650, I feel like a super hero!
Of course, but it's just a feeling ....Big bikes can't go where little bikes can, so since I was only riding the big bike, my goat trail riding skills went to shit.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #30432
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,932

Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #30433
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,914

finally the ride report is here at day trippin

bonus pics from las vegas endurocross on the same page

this inspired us ride to rocky gap the next morning.....
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #30434
Vermon
not gnarly

Oddometer: 265
RECKLUSE = better than average SEX

Quote:
Plenty of engine braking with Rekluse if its set up correctly......

That's what almost all of us (read, smart ones, and with rear brake on the bars) use in the SQNF, and you MUST be able to engine brake up there... I think the only people holding out are Perry and Grinchie. I won't mention Jungle, because he's barely classifiable as a person.
Rob,
you probably got it dialed better than me,
Although, I don't have any prob with engine breaking, except and RARELY when the idle drops really low(downhill) and that sucks..no room for error on the Rincon…right! (by the way, you & the No Clutch Crew are having way too much fun in the SQNF)

…Joel, I run the idle up just a touch and never lose breaking , plus I like the idle wee bit high in tight stuff..keeps that forward momentum thingy
Vermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #30435
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,233
Rekluse suck ass....

M2C