ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #30436
Vermon
not gnarly

Oddometer: 258
Rowher …sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Rekluse suck ass....

M2C
that's the spirit….you prob take your coffee black too

Rowher …looks good for sum mud slinging…manna!?
Vermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #30437
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat View Post
Rekluse suck ass....

M2C

^^ This...
Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #30438
jlemond
King of No0bs

Oddometer: 156
With all this talk of clutches and reading many posts by you guys I know at least one of you has a 690 and knows where I read the following information and can help me find it again.

I have read somewhere about the false neutral between 5th and 6th gears on my 12' 690R. I have found it . I have also found that if im down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and jam on it too hard ill totally skip 2nd and wind up in neutral. For some reason this was scarier than the false neutral. I belive I have read that I need a new clutch. Can you guys point me in the right direction and give me any help and advice along the way.
Thanks, Jeff
jlemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #30439
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 738
Unless you feel it slipping in the higher gears, I doubt it's the clutch. When my first clutch quit, it would still go in 1-3 just fine but would slip in 4-6 as if it was in neutral ONLY when applying heavy throttle. That lasted less than 5 miles before I was limited to 1-2. My 690 still hits the 5/6 neutral if I am lazy about shifting, a firm shift solves that. Try lowering your shifter one spline (you'll have less throw downwards and more upwards if you move your foot the same as you do now) and see if that solves the issue. I've got ~13k miles on my 690 and just got use to having to shift a little firmer.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #30440
sierrasommets

Oddometer: 19
Anybody want to ride?

I learned to ride at 13, rode through college, then got Gangrene and sat around for eight years watching "The Deadliest Catch". Needless to say, I'm primed and ready to tear it up with a vengeance.

I'm good for anything, though not too extreme, ie. no boulder strewn single track, or snow, at this point...but looking to get out and about. I'm down for anything from Big Bear/Lucerne Valley to Bodie, and from the Eastern Sierra's...East!

Willing to ride with anyone, I'm not the best but I can grill a killer filet...

PM me!
sierrasommets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #30441
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemond View Post
With all this talk of clutches and reading many posts by you guys I know at least one of you has a 690 and knows where I read the following information and can help me find it again.

I have read somewhere about the false neutral between 5th and 6th gears on my 12' 690R. I have found it . I have also found that if im down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and jam on it too hard ill totally skip 2nd and wind up in neutral. For some reason this was scarier than the false neutral. I belive I have read that I need a new clutch. Can you guys point me in the right direction and give me any help and advice along the way.
Thanks, Jeff
Trade it in??

Old 12-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #30442
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Can you guys point me in the right direction and give me any help and advice along the way.
Thanks, Jeff
Live with it. You don't need a new clutch, you need to adjust your riding style to accommodate the flaw in the bike. I tried new clutch, basket, shifter and crashing. There's nothing you can do sans splitting the case and doing a transmission rebuild. I've been told modifying your shifting forks will solve the problem, but who knows how to modify a shifting fork?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #30443
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,843
Quote:

Thanks, Jeff
that's not good!sorry to hear there's an inherent problem on the bike design.

i have a 2002 640 which is getting old and have been drooling when i see a 690. guess, i will be keeping my 640 for a few more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrasommets View Post
I learned to ride at 13, rode through college, then got Gangrene and sat around for eight years watching "The Deadliest Catch". Needless to say, I'm primed and ready to tear it up with a vengeance.

I'm good for anything, though not too extreme, ie. no boulder strewn single track, or snow, at this point...but looking to get out and about. I'm down for anything from Big Bear/Lucerne Valley to Bodie, and from the Eastern Sierra's...East!

Willing to ride with anyone, I'm not the best but I can grill a killer filet...
great to see your enthusiasm to ride. we have an active group that rides at least once a month. mostly intermediate riders, but having noobs in the group never bother us. you're welcome to come along. any bike will do as long it's well maintained.

do you have a zero degree sleeping bag and proper riding gear? if yes....then join us and do the annual ojai/carrizo/pozo ride on january 19-20 (tentatively)
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #30444
sierrasommets

Oddometer: 19
Looking at last years ride, it's a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
do you have a zero degree sleeping bag and proper riding gear? if yes....then join us and do the annual ojai/carrizo/pozo ride on january 19-20 (tentatively)

Is there a thread for the upcoming ride w/ details? If not, could you PM me when the time comes...
sierrasommets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #30445
jlemond
King of No0bs

Oddometer: 156
Well, Glad I dont need a new clutch. I can live with it since it is a characteristic of this bike. Just wanted to make sure I didnt need to make a repair. So lighter toe from 3rd to 2nd and firmer toe to and from 6th. Got it.
jlemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #30446
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrasommets View Post

Is there a thread for the upcoming ride w/ details? If not, could you PM me when the time comes...

stephen, check your PM for upcoming rides.

Quote:
Well, Glad I dont need a new clutch. I can live with it since it is a characteristic of this bike. Just wanted to make sure I didnt need to make a repair. So lighter toe from 3rd to 2nd and firmer toe to and from 6th. Got it.

that sucks that ktm will not address that problem and leave it to the owners to make the personal adjustment. the company should do something since there's a safety issue involved.

i remember ktm recalled all the front rims for 2002 model year (other years probably affected too) on all LC4s due to bad spokes.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #30447
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
The 690 was a supermoto first, with gearing to match - I've only heard complaints about the close ratios, not of a false neutral up top...news to me. i'll have to ask jnyrav about his. We rode a lot together on the GC trip this year. He traded a 990 for his, seems to suit better I guess. I thought he was gonna kill himself on that 990.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #30448
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Speaking of Supermoto...

Race this Sunday @
http://www.adamsmotorsportspark.com/
http://www.warsupermoto.com/#!schedule/c1n8o

Here is a video from there.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #30449
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis View Post

jm, that looks like a lot of fun. i have an 03 525 exc that could easily be converted to a SM, though wish i have the time for another hobby.

nice vid!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #30450
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
jm, that looks like a lot of fun. i have an 03 525 exc that could easily be converted to a SM, though wish i have the time for another hobby.

nice vid!
Joel,

Give it a try, it's fun as heck!

I had a KTM 525 SMR & Husky 610 SM, and am thinking of getting back into it. This time, I may focus on SM tracks versus road racing tracks like I did with my 525 SMR. My old 610 SM was my street/canyon tard.

Jammin, what bike were you riding? Sounded like a YZ125 2 stroke? Also, were you wearing leather pants with a compression suit on top with an MX jersey? Is that allowed at Adams? Or do you need to wear full or 2 piece leathers?

Thanks.
CR250R
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote