ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #30841
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
I think Sito was on the 1190 and it's Chris on the 1200GS.

Funny timing Bob, our GoPros took random snaps @ the same moment:

Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #30842
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
I think Sito was on the 1190 and it's Chris on the 1200GS.
Updated, thanks!
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #30843
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
So nice to meet everyone finally from LA. It was my first time in the area there are some great riding there! And thanks to everyone for helping me with my first nail in my tire. I will know what to pack for next time. Thanks to the ride leader and sweep for getting everyone home safe.

Here are my nature photos from the ride:

outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #30844
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
Glad you got home ok. Did you end up getting that tire fixed?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #30845
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,967
Cool2 sleep in

...I opted to hit the eastside dez due to the rain overnight. Bad choice, windy as hell and cold too. Wasn't feelin' it. I went home and watched Supercross ;)
See the clouds, snow, wind...zzzzzzzzzzz....

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #30846
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 739
You guys missed a good cal poly ride up in SLO yesterday. 135 miles and perfect weather. It rained up there on Friday, so dust wasn't really a problem, and the traction was great.
El Zorrillo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #30847
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 769
+1

Saturday sounded like fun but I needed to wrench on the 990. The Cal Poly ride was great, very pretty area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zorrillo View Post
You guys missed a good cal poly ride up in SLO yesterday. 135 miles and perfect weather. It rained up there on Friday, so dust wasn't really a problem, and the traction was great.
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #30848
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Glad you got home ok. Did you end up getting that tire fixed?
I didn't get it fixed yet since most motorcycle shops around my house are closed on Sundays and I don't have a proper inner tube for it. I ordered a Enduro star trail stand and am waiting for it to arrive so I can try it out at home to be more prepared for next time.
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #30849
El Zorrillo
charity case

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
+1

Saturday sounded like fun but I needed to wrench on the 990. The Cal Poly ride was great, very pretty area.
You were there? I saw several 570's, were you with the other 570 rider with the blue safari tank?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #30850
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 700
Penguins

Did either of you have a go on the new and improved teeter totter? I was surprised it was still in one piece when I got there. There was a bit more chance at injury in case of failure with the water being ~2' lower than usual but the 690 once again went across like a champ! Did I by chance cross paths with you guys? Freakishly tall guy on a 690 with BD racelight?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #30851
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Yep, that was me and Damado.

570 in 'Berg graphics, 'Berg jersey, 'Berg Leatt, and Crossfires with yellow accents (natch). Kinda hard to mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zorrillo View Post
You were there? I saw several 570's, were you with the other 570 rider with the blue safari tank?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #30852
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Nope, I was skeered and went around.

Would love to take the big bike out there. Great mix of scenic dirt and paved roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Did either of you have a go on the new and improved teeter totter? I was surprised it was still in one piece when I got there. There was a bit more chance at injury in case of failure with the water being ~2' lower than usual but the 690 once again went across like a champ! Did I by chance cross paths with you guys? Freakishly tall guy on a 690 with BD racelight?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #30853
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,741
slo pics or it never happened!

for those who never done it, you should check it out. i did the easy route many years ago and it was good. the tougher sections i heard is much better. have to ride it or wait to see some pics or linky.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #30854
El Zorrillo
charity case

Hey Rich, sorry I didn't recognize you. That berg of yours does look pretty nice.

Letter J, I chickened out on the teeter totter too. It looks a shit ton sturdier than the old one, but the lower water level and the large crowd watching sealed the deal on me taking the go-around.

And to anyone involved with organizing the ride, thanks for your work in putting this ride together. In case you get a complaint from a certain crabby mountain bike rider for supposed "trespassing", don't take any stock in it. He was at the gate at the end of the rock quarry screaming at a group of us (tons of f-bombs used by him) that we weren't allowed there. We told him it was an organized sanctioned ride, and it still wouldn't shut him up. The sister of the quarry owner pulled up while all this was going on and he told her to get the fuck out too, so I think he didn't make a very good impression on anyone.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #30855
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Just got home. Beautiful day and great conditions, low dust.

So the DRZ kid is still out a few miles from the Poppy Reserve with a patched, leaking, and full of fixaflat rear wheel, his spare 21" that is bad, and a 18" I left with him since I had to get back to go to the airport. His friend is driving a truck up to pick him up, so he should be good, albeit a bit bored.
yeah, it was a good day!

thanks isaac for leading the day trippers. breaking into 2 groups didn't really made it very manageable. you have a lot of new riders in your group and things can happen. it will get just get better the more we ride together and learn the unwritten protocols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrastyle View Post
Great meeting everyone, and it was pretty cool seeing what the big beemer could do. This was my first serious outing, and was unforgettable.

Giant thanks to Dewey for babysitting my slow ass - hate to think he missed out on a great time following behind me in 2nd gear through the whole trip.

Lesson learned:
Better be in shape to ride the dirt. I was really worn out by the time we hit pavement; time to start up an exercise plan!

Again - thanks for letting me tag along!

hey chris, you're always welcome.

+1 in what dunerat said, ride the bike more often if you can. and if you can't, go to the gym and get on the stationary bike. honestly, it's not fun pedaling for 40 mins, lifting and pushing weights, but once i'm out riding, really glad i did.

Quote:
most of the guys in this thread babysat me when I first started riding. It's a steep learning curve but a hell of a lot of fun. You did a great job on that beast!

du, great job there in the kitchen. i know you want to ride the small bike as fast as you want to, but you have the sense to keep an eye on someone new.

hey, on little t, i could not put a big gap between you and me. you're still a squid afterall....

thanks for picking up my camera.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote