ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #31216
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
beautiful bike.
I have the Super Sport-ier brother. love that motor.

Lytle Creek and Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead have some dirt for ya. also some twisties and dirt in and around Bouquet Canyon north of hwy 14.

btw, Boone is a beautiful area. the Blue Ridge Mtns in spring are so lush.
Thanks, I've had 10 or so 900cc based Ducatis, I can't get away from this motor. I sold a Euro 900SL in Red before I moved out here. I've ridden around Sand Canyon and Little Tujunga a bunch. I was there in a car today. Tell me some specifics about the Bouquet Canyon area.

Yeah, I miss Boone and the lushness of it all, I'll go back someday. At least the riding here is almost as good.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #31217
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Leather View Post
Thanks, I've had 10 or so 900cc based Ducatis, I can't get away from this motor. I sold a Euro 900SL in Red before I moved out here. I've ridden around Sand Canyon and Little Tujunga a bunch. I was there in a car today. Tell me some specifics about the Bouquet Canyon area.

Yeah, I miss Boone and the lushness of it all, I'll go back someday. At least the riding here is almost as good.
Sand Canyon to Sierra Hwy to Rowher Flats OHV has a couple forest roads going through. Bouquet Canyon up Drinkwater. then over and around San Francisquito and also some forest roads off Lake Hughes and Lake Elizabeth and Pine Canyon Rd. problem is, there was a fire up there last year so a lot of Lake Hughes area forest roads were closed. there's plenty of forest roads around that area. also drop down into Palmdale and the power line roads and agua dulce road through that area has dirt for days into the desert. tackle that after October when it cools down.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #31218
MC-Leather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
Sand Canyon to Sierra Hwy to Rowher Flats OHV has a couple forest roads going through. Bouquet Canyon up Drinkwater. then over and around San Francisquito and also some forest roads off Lake Hughes and Lake Elizabeth and Pine Canyon Rd. problem is, there was a fire up there last year so a lot of Lake Hughes area forest roads were closed. there's plenty of forest roads around that area. also drop down into Palmdale and the power line roads and agua dulce road through that area has dirt for days into the desert. tackle that after October when it cools down.
Very cool, thank you. I'll go play around a bit this weekend.

Again, if anybody wants to go ride this weekend let me know.
A bunch of Hondas and random other bikes.
MC-Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #31219
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC-Leather View Post
Hey,

My Elefant and I moved to the LA area a few months ago. I've done a bunch of great riding around the Crest and the Malibu canyons. I'd like to find some fire roads or big bike friendly trail riding. Anybody riding this weekend or have any suggestions?

Jay

welcome to l.a.

there's plenty of dirt roads left here in socal, though my favorite ones are closed. may be opening in another year.

enjoy the canyons, those what make the dual sport riding fun!

we will be back in big bear in 2 weeks (sept 12, 13 and 14). camp and ride. lots of fire roads and easy trails through the forest. beautiful landscapes always.

if you and others are interested, let me know.

wish i could join you this weekend, but have projects to finish. i could use the 3 day holiday in the garage.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #31220
Vermon
not gnarly

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
welcome to l.a.

there's plenty of dirt roads left here in socal, though my favorite ones are closed. may be opening in another year.

enjoy the canyons, those what make the dual sport riding fun!

we will be back in big bear in 2 weeks (sept 12, 13 and 14). camp and ride. lots of fire roads and easy trails through the forest. beautiful landscapes always.

if you and others are interested, let me know.

wish i could join you this weekend, but have projects to finish. i could use the 3 day holiday in the garage.

...sounds like a plan I'd like join Joel, it's been too long buddy…is this big bike
ride?!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #31221
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,527
SoCal Big Bike Mountain Tour

It's too hot down in the valleys so I'm heading for the hills! I'm going to follow a similar route that Joel and Rider914 did last weekend. I'm starting at Newcombs Ranch at the top of Hwy 2 @ 8:00. Breakfast. Then up to Wrightwood ending up in Big Bear or Arrowhead depending on time and weather. Lunch. From there is back down to the 210 and home around 4:30/5:50.
If anyone is up for a day of twistys and dirt fun get up to Newcombs by 9:00
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #31222
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
It's too hot down in the valleys so I'm heading for the hills! I'm going to follow a similar route that Joel and Rider914 did last weekend. I'm starting at Newcombs Ranch at the top of Hwy 2 @ 8:00. Breakfast. Then up to Wrightwood ending up in Big Bear or Arrowhead depending on time and weather. Lunch. From there is back down to the 210 and home around 4:30/5:50.
NCD tomorrow, what about next saturday? Just finishing up some much needed maintenance on the SE, front & rear sprockets, drive chain & fluids. Would be a good shake down ride

RIDE ON!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #31223
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermon View Post
...sounds like a plan I'd like join Joel, it's been too long buddy…is this big bike
ride?!
vern, come out and ride. big and small bikes, plated and with spark arrestor.

the plan is camp in big bear (south side of the lake)

since pioneer town is just a short ride from big bear, we can plan something longer.

this:
from camp - sky line - clarks grade (south) - seven oaks (east) -radford camp rd (north east) - bear mountain - baldwin lake rd - burns canyon (east) - pioeneer town

lunch at pioneer town and head back on jacoby canyon. C riders on big bike can take the pavement back to camp. i got spanked 2x on my 640. ersin, big todd and rider914 were on 990s and they rode theirs like on a fire road.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
sito, always a good idea to do hwy 2 in the daytime. isaac and i did 50+ miles of twisties in the dark... ...

let's hear how the 1190 handles the tight corners. hope you post pics of your tires less the chicken strips.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #31224
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,527
Joel going to follow most of your route except maybe the Hesperia part. I want to stay out of the heat. I'm in for the BB camping trip sounds like fun. Hey Vern bring the small bike and Truck it up to the Arrowhead house. We can find a route to BB that has more dirt.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #31225
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

let's do it before the snow!

BIG BEAR CAMP AND RIDE - OCT 3-4-5, 2014 (2 nights of camping)

i read most campgrounds in big bear will be closed after oct. 12th.

i have been weighing the dates and camp ground availability.

september will still be hot! riding to pioneer town could get toasty.

however, by late september or early october, the weather should start getting comfortable and makes desert riding bearable. let's call this good bye high altitude and welcome to the desert.

i have reserved a remote campground on the south side of the lake and next to a dirt road. the camp is $120/night + fees.

the campground is good for a lot of campers and several trucks. we can only have @ 4 trucks and the rest would be motorcycles. sorry, this is not meant to be a big event. 2 of us are trucking, we can haul bikes and 2 riders to the campsite.

i only need 10 participants, easy going and responsible. maybe 12 depends on the person's character.... no cross crountry riding, will only stay on open roads and trails!

we will have bar-b-q on saturday night.

each person contributes $30, saturday dinner included.

paypal will guarantee you a spot.

i have received 7 PMs. yes, i read them all. PM me again and i will give you my paypal account.

thanks.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #31226
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

pm sent to 10 peeps with details.

still has opening for 6 more if you're RIDING IN or truck and park in the city, then ride to the campground.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #31227
jnyrav
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
pm sent to 10 peeps with details.

still has opening for 6 more if you're RIDING IN or truck and park in the city, then ride to the campground.
Really wish I could join you in October. I'll be back east that week…

looking forward to riding with you guys soon
jnyrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #31228
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,691
I'm in. PP winging its way to your inbox.

Now, sorting gear...
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #31229
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyrav View Post
Really wish I could join you in October. I'll be back east that week…

looking forward to riding with you guys soon
hey john, no prob. next time.

how's mammoth ride this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I'm in. PP winging its way to your inbox.

Now, sorting gear...

yeah, richard, sounds like a good plan....let's ride.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #31230
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

thanks for the interest by sending your payment...yes, the bus is almost full
IN list

jol
sto
mr.h
dzrtr
bigt
m1j
lb
slugd
perrofh
jeff (jalapoj)
cutterblll
libratades
3 more (riding only) and we're off to big bear.

only 3 trucks will fit in the campsite, the rest have to ride in. send PP$ and let's close the list.

NSFW screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 10:26 PM Reason: updated the paid list