ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #3946
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
There is a great 280 mile loop from the 15/138 out to Randsburg and back. Should be ice and (mostly) snow free by Saturday. About 3 hours to Randsburg, lunch, three hours back and whatever travel time to the 15/138. It's an all day ride, but fairly fast terrain with quite a bit of sand.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll forward a google earth map and strategic coordinates. I won't be going.........prepping for Baja and
I'll take those.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #3947
SergX
Back on the Saddle

Oddometer: 211
Video! ADV Riders on Ice!

I can't seem to figure out how to embed the high quality version even after following guides online. So just click below to see it on YouTube and enjoy! :-)

Video: ADV Riders on Ice.
SergX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #3948
Odd1out
Clutch killing yahoo!!

Oddometer: 193
Question advice link

Hey all, I've been lurking on your thread, good stuff!

I am planning a moto tour of CA around a buisness trip in Jan and could use all the advice I can get about riding in your neck of the woods. I don't want to hijack your thread so I was wondering if some of you might chime in at the below thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...65#post8660665

thanks in advance from a chilly advrider in Chicago.
Odd1out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #3949
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
That ain't a water buffalo.

This is a water bufallo:
my bad.
i had a couple of friends that had the water buffalo and the kawi triple and i mixed em up.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #3950
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd1out
Hey all, I've been lurking on your thread, good stuff!

I am planning a moto tour of CA around a buisness trip in Jan and could use all the advice I can get about riding in your neck of the woods. I don't want to hijack your thread so I was wondering if some of you might chime in at the below thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...65#post8660665

thanks in advance from a chilly advrider in Chicago.
no worry about hijacking!

good you'll be able to come out here, ca badly needs all out of state $....

in return we'll give you valuable and free suggestions.

pacific coast will be your best route. start from santa monica to morro bay, the farther you go up, the colder it gets. make sure your gs1200 has heated grips. bring a heated vest, you might need it too.

hw 33 is nice too but i believe the roads are frozen. a trip to sd is nice too, but that's a lot of boring pavement.

the desert is beautiful at this time of the year...death valley will be my choice. you can even ride your gs through titus canyon at this time, it's gs friendly. check out the nOObs vaLLy raLLy in the ride reports section. if you can't find it, go to the fist page of this thread and it was in november, click the link.

whatever you come up, have a good ride and be safe. if you need a phone # to call to make you feel more secured, pm me.

cheers....8)H
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #3951
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
I'll take those.
I'll post them later today for anyone else interested. No GPX, just map and coordinates.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #3952
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
I'll post them later today for anyone else interested. No GPX, just map and coordinates.
Anytime... I don't know for sure that I will go this weekend, but I would like what you have.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 AM   #3953
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Anytime... I don't know for sure that I will go this weekend, but I would like what you have.
TT, I would be up for this ride this weekend if you're interested. In fact, I'm up for much riding, anytime, between Dec 26 and Jan 4.
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #3954
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
when?
Quote:
There is a great 280 mile loop from the 15/138 out to Randsburg and back. Should be ice and (mostly) snow free by Saturday. About 3 hours to Randsburg, lunch, three hours back and whatever travel time to the 15/138. It's an all day ride, but fairly fast terrain with quite a bit of sand.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll forward a google earth map and strategic coordinates. I won't be going.........prepping for Baja and
Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #3955
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:

Traveltoad, Twowheelsgood, DannyG, and anyone else interested PM me with your E-mail addresses and I will forward a Google Earth file that will give you a tour of this route and coordinates. Can't post it here.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #3956
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Traveltoad, Twowheelsgood, DannyG, and anyone else interested PM me with your E-mail addresses and I will forward a Google Earth file that will give you a tour of this route and coordinates. Can't post it here.
PM sent. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #3957
terranova
slow and steady

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Paging terranova to the white courtesy telephone.... what's the scoop on this trail?
If you want to avoid the ice-capades, and are looking for a shorter day in the dirt, this can be had on the southwest side of Little Tujunga Rd.

After i bailed from the SCD ice-ride last Saturday, i went across Lil Tujunga up the asphalt past the firestation and helipad. Off to the right begins 3N17, which was dirt and had easy-to-ride snow in the shady sections. After a couple miles there's a fork. On the left was an open gate that led down a paved one-lane road (May Canyon Rd according to my Tom Harrison Map: http://tomharrisonmaps.com/)
This area was totally burned up, and i went back after a mile or so.

The right fork was the dirt continuation of 3N17 and led to the Wilson Canyon Saddle, which has an outhouse and parking area similar to the North Fork Saddle. Not far from here there was a 3-way fork, one went for a couple miles to a gate at the Santa Monica Conservancy. The other dirt road went southwest to some towers and then an open area that was great for practicing donuts and other drills. There were small hills/berms pushed by bulldozers from the recent fire, which made for some fun little jumps and easy air-catching moments. It was a hoot--wished you guys could have been there

Finally, there was another dirt road that went north of the the parking area, a double track that turned into a single track. I moved a large charred manzanita that had fallen on the trail. I turned around after a mile or so, thinking i would come back another time.
The entire dirt section is only about 6-7 miles, but it also included a some areas to play, as well as some hill climbs available that would be a challenge for anyone who needs a little extra dosage to their ride.

I was surprised to see that Joel was the only FF from the ride that made it to the party at Sopascat's place; thought they'd want to share their tales of derring-do

Look forward to seeing you guys on the trail . . .
--Dan
terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #3958
terranova
slow and steady

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
i googled the area, bear divide becomes santa clara truck trail. then it branches to several roads. one of them will take us down to the veterans memorial park in sylmar. others heading towards san fernando and the I14. not sure if there are gates????????? the altitude is about 2500 to 2800, and i wonder if snow (or ice) will be present.

terranova can give us the first hand report.......
Yes, there are gates at the bottom--you can only get in and out from Little Tujunga Rd. The varous roads lead to the I14, Placerita Canyon, and Sylmar; but they're local, legal, and good for a short day of riding and some practice drills (with an optional lunch afterwards)

terranova screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 07:29 PM
terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #3959
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SogniX
I can't seem to figure out how to embed the high quality version even after following guides online. So just click below to see it on YouTube and enjoy! :-)

Video: ADV Riders on Ice.
Thx for the vid. Was hoping for more wrecks

M-
Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #3960
SergX
Back on the Saddle

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk
Thx for the vid. Was hoping for more wrecks

M-
Oh, there were more! Those where just the ones I captured! Flopping bikes where funny! Heard of more.
SergX is offline   Reply With Quote