ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #4096
SergX
Back on the Saddle

Oddometer: 211
I'm out.

Looks like I'm not going to make it today.
Yeah, I'm being lame.
Next time.
Hopefully I'll run into you guys later.

-Sergio
SergX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #4097
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,166
see you all at 8am.

8)H
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #4098
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Hey guys & gals, I sold my lowered F650Gs for an shockingly high price,

And Yesterday I picked up a f650gs Dakar for a shockingly low price

Riding the Dakar I've learnted that it has a few things my other bike lacked:

1) A shock absorber and working forks. Hmmm, I dunno how I lived for so long without those... They really seem to absorb shocks. Who knew?
2) The steering head bearing turns freely. That might be an interesting change.
3) brand new TKC's with actual knobs on em. So far I've only gone through a mud puddle and an empty field, but they seem to do the trick.
4) Ground clearance, maybe I won't drag the pegs on the freeway onramp any more, or bang my feet into every rock and tree on the trail.
5) a 14t front sprocket instead of a 16 Wheeeeeeee! Who needs good mileage!?

I think I have to get this sucker off road and see what a real bike is like

see you tomorrow!
When you're ready to lose 40-50 lbs off the bike, just let me know. I'll show up with Sawzall in hand. Stock ,you're at about 390. Mine weighs around 330. At that weigth you're in the XR650 range with more ponies. If you're still sporting the stock exhaust, get rid of it asap. I suggest a Supertrapp. It'll add about 3-4hp. Don't waste your time buying a pipe adapter, they bolt right up to your header w/out one. Also, if you have ABS, get rid of it and save the 13 lbs, it's junk anyways. On the other hand, if you don't have it, and you want it, I'll sell you mine for cheap . It makes a great door stop
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #4099
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,166
9 riders showed up, we waited for xmo till 8:40, and left. i'll post a short rr and pics tonight after the party. the ride went well, no carnage, but the FFs can't get enough, so i left them at aliso and bpl juntion. i did a nice 100 mile ride....

still have some icy spots, and the rest is in primo condition...no dust for this nOOb.....
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #4100
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Great day! Nice weather. Perfect ride for me. XRL performed great. The heavier springs and bigger rear sprocket were a great improvement. Now I just gotta get my legs back in shape. Oh, and watch out for the damn mud puddles.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #4101
BP88
Sinbad on wheels

Oddometer: 21
Sorry I couldn't make it out, guys. I woke up late as hell and still wanted to go but my pops had to go to the Supercross event tonight so there was almost no point in going. Next weekend for sure if I get it off! I want to ride with you guys!
BP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #4102
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,236
Spent my riding allowance on New Years day with my brother at Baldy Mesa. Found out how icy mud makes a BRP hard to pick up. Arggh. Beautiful view from the top. Hope to see y'all again soon and hopefully brother will get his KLR done soon.

JAB screwed with this post 01-03-2009 at 07:13 PM Reason: Trying to insert photo
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #4103
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,654
Fun ride, great people.....

Thanks everybody
Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #4104
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
9 riders showed up, we waited for xmo till 8:40, and left. i'll post a short rr and pics tonight after the party. the ride went well, no carnage, but the FFs can't get enough, so i left them at aliso and bpl juntion. i did a nice 100 mile ride....

still have some icy spots, and the rest is in primo condition...no dust for this nOOb.....
Jeeze, I feel horrible, sorry for that!

I was up all night, and just couldn't get goin in the morning. I did manage to get up to lynx about 1 for a little while and it was still bite-assed cold. Dropping the bike by myself, pondering the onset of darkness and hypothermia made me rethink the decision to go it alone

The dirt was sure fantastic though, and I think I'm really going to like going from the cop bike to the Dakar. The dakar is way more fun off-road.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #4105
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
When you're ready to lose 40-50 lbs off the bike, just let me know. I'll show up with Sawzall in hand. Stock ,you're at about 390. Mine weighs around 330. At that weigth you're in the XR650 range with more ponies. If you're still sporting the stock exhaust, get rid of it asap. I suggest a Supertrapp. It'll add about 3-4hp. Don't waste your time buying a pipe adapter, they bolt right up to your header w/out one. Also, if you have ABS, get rid of it and save the 13 lbs, it's junk anyways. On the other hand, if you don't have it, and you want it, I'll sell you mine for cheap . It makes a great door stop
Um, at 330 did you get your headlight back on? I saw a pic of your Dakar way torn apart a while back. All the extra crap you took off it.

No ABS, No Heated grips, no crash bars. it's a puritan's bike for sure.
The PO spent $800 replacing the stock exhaust with a new stock exhaust

Any particular reason you like the supertrapp over the others? I've been looking at two brothers and remus. I've seen a lot of chatter about staintune being crap. I still have to do a snorkelectomy and some other stuff too.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #4106
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Um, at 330 did you get your headlight back on? I saw a pic of your Dakar way torn apart a while back. All the extra crap you took off it.

No ABS, No Heated grips, no crash bars. it's a puritan's bike for sure.
The PO spent $800 replacing the stock exhaust with a new stock exhaust

Any particular reason you like the supertrapp over the others? I've been looking at two brothers and remus. I've seen a lot of chatter about staintune being crap. I still have to do a snorkelectomy and some other stuff too.
Yes, a puritan's bike, but legal.....barely. I have double barrel headlights now at 75w each (150w total), heated grips, and never had crash bars. I like the Supertrap because you can rebuild it and tune it using more or less baffles. A snorklectomy definitley helps with a new pipe. It will do nothing with the stock pipe since it allows only so much air to escape. In order to pull more air through the intake, you must be able to push more from the pipe.

One of the biggest improvements you'll want to make soon is handlebar risers and some Pro Tapers. You can pay $330 for the kit through TT, but I did mine on my own and only spent $109. The only thing you get for $330 from TT is a set of premachined bars that you can do your self in about 30 minutes with a hacksaw and a rotary file on a drill.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #4107
stewstew
Thumpin' out the curves!

Oddometer: 59
Nice to meet you guys up there today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

Nice to meet you guys/girl up there today! I'm the guy with the silver jeep you guys ran into. Here's a couple of pics of the gang we took. Can't wait to get out on a ride with you all. Seem like a great and hospitable group that I can't wait to get dirty with. LOL.

I'll be paying attention to the thread to make sure I get on board your next ride. Take care and a pleasure to meet you all!

cheers, stew

stewstew screwed with this post 01-03-2009 at 09:36 PM
stewstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #4108
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
One of the biggest improvements you'll want to make soon is handlebar risers and some Pro Tapers. You can pay $330 for the kit through TT, but I did mine on my own and only spent $109. The only thing you get for $330 from TT is a set of premachined bars that you can do your self in about 30 minutes with a hacksaw and a rotary file on a drill.
I was thinking the barkbusters:
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trad...rint/4286/754/
155 including the risers.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #4109
rsks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thanks for the awesome ride everyone. Great people, perfect dirt, awesome weather, great trails. Looking forward to the next one!
rsks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #4110
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

duh, you're talking handlebars
i get it.

I'd really like to see your setup but we never seem to be on the same rides.