ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 AM   #4291
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 AM   #4292
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Rob going strong

2014 KTM 500EXC
Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #4293
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Here is Joel, "you can't be a NOOB anymore", h8chains!

2014 KTM 500EXC
Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #4294
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
lazy bastard..... ok the deal is i post your pics and give ya a gps lesson, then you revalve my front shocks and set-up the suspenson on my 640A.

you teach me how to post pictures and work my gps and i do you suspension and take the front brake off the bike

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #4295
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
you teach me how to post pictures and work my gps and i do you suspension and take the front brake off the bike

i'll take riding lesson... teach how to work the GPS and download pic's
no need for suspension since i didn't get that new 990S
Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #4296
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #4297
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,995
we're not cheap bastards so we chose erendira's best for lunch

DR CAN DRINK!!!!!!

BUT TT CAN EAT AND DRINK...HAHAHAHAHAHA

met bruce anderson in red jersey (go baja ridin tours) taking east coast folks on a tour of baja with a chase vehicle ....i wonder how much that cost?

NSFW screwed with this post 01-13-2009 at 10:24 AM
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #4298
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,248
Great ride ..... more pix please.if anyone knows how too clear my uploads plz help i cant attach pictures to my posts its like its stuck
Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #4299
RichK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Damn. I'm totally jealous! Makes me wish I got a KTM instead of the Beemer. Could a 525 do this trip?

KEEP THE PICS COMING!

Rich
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #4300
Artboy57
Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer: 690
Welcome back ya lucky bastads ya! Joel, I fell over Saturday and you missed it!
Artboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #4301
toast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
the other Baja trip Saturday - Sunday Jan 10,11 2009 Toast & Motosoto

I was wishing I could take the time off work to join you guys, but your ride was full up. Then I saw and replied to MOTOSOTO and he took me on the best ride of my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOSOTO
POSTED 01-08-2009 12:48 PM...I hate to drop in on your plans, but I'm
heading to BAJA this weekend;
•parking at Rancho Santa Veronica on Sat AM and heading down El Compadre out to do Mike's
Loop-might stay at Mike's, Meling or El Coyote...then on Sunday-do the descent through Los
Encinos to Valle de la Trinidad-South to the Coast...ride up to Santo Tomas and back up to
Tecate via Uruapan to Ojos Negros--arriving at Rancho Santa Veronica by 2pm'ish...
•have room for one more rider/bike in my Tundra.
Let me know if there are any takers...it's a killer route and something for everyone along
the way.
Lets start off by saying I have been reborn. I have never been to Baja and the thought of riding over there scared me somewhat. From what I could tell by Steve's posting, he was very familiar with the area and I felt reassured that I would be in good hands. A couple of calls to go over the details and we were off, setting our sights on Tecate. Steve decided it would better to drive across and park at a ranch in Santa Veronica, the winds were blowing seriously. We paid $5 a day to securely park the truck, unpacked and hit the trail at 12pm sharp.

We were flying down fireroads for a while and then hit a military checkpoint on the dirt road. I understand these soldiers are the good guys, but I still get nervous when I see semi-auto rifles, especially when one of them is held by a guy with a ski mask on and I didn't see any snow. :| These guys warmed up real quick, one of them took a couple of pictures of us and them near our bikes and we were off. I was welcomed to parts of the Baja race course with sand whoops, rocks and all the stuff that keeps your eyes wide open. The recent rains did some damage to the roads, creating bike size crevasse in some cases. You really have to stay focused the whole time. We gassed up at a small town (I think it was Ojos) and headed for Mikes Sky Ranch. The riding was great, Soto stands up 98% of the time. Me on the other hand don't have enough muscle in my legs to do that, but I was inspired to stand up more often than normal. This was my first ride on my tall Renazco couch style seat. After 1 and a half days of riding, my butt wasn't even slightly sore, thanks James!
We arrived at Mikes, stripped the gear off and grabbed some beers. We then had a steak dinner with 1 other rider from Wisconsin who was on a solo extended trip riding a DRZ. I hit the sack at 8pm and slept like a baby.

We had breakfast at 7:30 and hit the trail at 9:30 after a little bike maintenance. On the way to the coast we made a stop at a remote store for a beer and some water to top off the camelback's. We continued toward the coast, Erendira and took in some awesome views of the Pacific ocean. We stopped for lamb tacos and beer on highway 1 and then jumped on the Ctra A Urupan road and headed toward Ojos Negros. There was some technical uphill riding, major water damage on the trail. We didn't stop much, guess it was better that my camera turned on in my pocket the day before so I was only able to take 1 picture. The shadows were getting long and before you know it we were riding in the dark. To better light the trail, we were riding side by side doing about 40 on the final leg to the ranch. A full moon crested the horizon and provided a perfect silhouette of a tall gravestone as we flew down the road. There were a few cars on the road, but it was easy to see them coming with their lights on. We again stopped at the military checkpoint in the dark, in the sand. We got to the truck at 6:30 and packed it up.

While on the bikes, we didn't see another motorcycle the entire trip except for the guy we met at Mikes. That's just amazing to me. I felt pretty good considering the amount of riding we did which was more than I am used to. The border crossing only took 30 minutes, I understand that was pretty good. Slowly the adrenaline wore off and then came the realization of another 5 days of work.

I can't thank Steve Soto enough for providing this crowned jewel of a memory that I will never ever forget. What really made this trip exceptional was I really enjoyed Steve's company. The fact that he was willing to share this experience with someone else really shows what a great guy he is.
I hope to improve on a couple of things for next time.
Yes, I have been infected with the Baja bug and will be making it part of my life going forward.

YouTube
Spot
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #4302
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK
Damn. I'm totally jealous! Makes me wish I got a KTM instead of the Beemer. Could a 525 do this trip?

KEEP THE PICS COMING!

Rich
we had HSKI TE450 in the group.. so no problem for the 525.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #4303
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,995
hey tony aka toast....i'm glad to hear you went out after all and had a POSITIVE experience...

good job motosoto for giving tony the proper initiation....

check out tt's planned ride on the board, coming up this feb...

Today 10:24 AM
RichKDamn. I'm totally jealous! Makes me wish I got a KTM instead of the Beemer. Could a 525 do this trip?

Rich

hi rich, long time you've been quiet....

i will not take the 525 neither the 450 on a 500 mile ride. my odo log is 475 miles. first the subframe may break to handle 40 lbs of camping equipment, food, water, and of course beer. lots and lots of whoops!

yes 2wheelsgood made it, but it wasn't easy. on empty highways and wide open dirt roads the FFs were blasting at 85 mph for an extended period of time. if you don't have any extra load, you may do it on the 525.

the best bike for this is the xr650, 640, 650xc, bmw dakar, and other big thumpers with excellent and tuned suspension.

but knowing you, i believe you can do it on your gs1200. haven't seen anyone else as good as you are on a pig.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #4304
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK

KEEP THE PICS COMING!

Rich
Why my Dakar was more than adequate.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #4305
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
...TOAST/Tony was the perfect candidate for this ride...I'm always down there riding-solo about once twice a month and thought-since it was my birthday on the 11th-I wanted to take someone along and share some dust, beer and tacos...great guest that had a great opportunity to let the 690/KTM stretch it's legs some and chase down an XR650R through 90% of the SCORE B500/B1000 race course...thanks for the invite on your upcoming trip...while we're still in somewhat cooler/winter weather-I'm planning a Valle Chico/Sierra Canyons--I usually do through Morelia, Matomi/Matomi Wash...might see you guys along the trail.

Photobucket

...most of all-no bandits, no flats...best sleep, eat and riding a guy could ever have-just South of the Border...

Steven David Soto

––––––––––––––––––––––––

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote