ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #4366
ErrinV
D Boon!
 
ErrinV's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Alhambra, CA
Oddometer: 2,292
What was the problem with the 990s battery? I had a problem with mine in Valle De Trinidad. Brand new battery, but the bike wouldn't turn over. We got the bike going, but only after reseating all the fuses and tightening the battery cables (they weren't that loose). We weren't even getting lights on the dash. Just nothing. We weren't sure what the problem was, but I didn't have that problem later.
__________________
Thunderbird 1 - '14 BMW F800GS ADV
"Love comes in spurts!"--Richard Hell
ErrinV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #4367
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,228
i'll finish the rr tomorrow with more pics to post.

meanwhile, hijackers no need for me to use these boots so continue on...

NSFW screwed with this post 01-13-2009 at 11:57 PM
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #4368
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV
What was the problem with the 990s battery? I had a problem with mine in Valle De Trinidad. Brand new battery, but the bike wouldn't turn over. We got the bike going, but only after reseating all the fuses and tightening the battery cables (they weren't that loose). We weren't even getting lights on the dash. Just nothing. We weren't sure what the problem was, but I didn't have that problem later.
hi errin, not really sure if either greg or tony knew what caused it.

both bikes have very little juice at the first turn. but afterr firing them up with my batt, they never had anymore problem.

maybe greg knows something...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 AM   #4369
Eggroll
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 324
Thank you Joel for calling and concern for my well being.
I am doing fine, most of the pain are contributed by a cracked rib.
Two aspirins every now and then would take care of it for now.
I had a fantastic time, always love Baja and can't wait to do it again.
Thank Joel, Dirtdiver, Trailtrick, Big John and Tony for helping me along.
Thank Rob for setting up the ride.

Eggroll

Eggroll screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 06:46 AM
Eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 AM   #4370
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time
 
Gregg Wannabe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 2,378
[QUOTE=h8chains]Sorry for my own hijack but I think this is important!

Not really sure if we are helping RichK by providing him your experience as the answer to his question if the 525exc can do Baja.

Absolutely, the 525 can do it, even as far as Cabo San Lucas and back. In the Baja 500K and 100K, there are a lot of crf450 and ktm 525. Remember, these riders have only 1 objective, finish the race and hopefully get on the podium. No one cares about the bike since it will be taken apart anyway after the race.

If you read the ride reports, gaspipe did baja on his ktm 540 (bored out 525), but it wasn’t stock. He had a cush hub (save the tranny) and other upgrades.

Unknown to many, I have a 525exc and if I follow the service manual, every 15 hours of riding, I have to do an oil change and check/adjust the valves. The 525 is not even an enduro bike by ktm classification (the 690e is the enduro bike). My 525 is a pure dirt bike with all the dot equipment and license plate. Enduro bikes are different, they’re meant to be ridden for a longer period of time with less maintenance.

Visit KTM Talk and ask the same question….that has been beaten so many times, that they will clobber your head if you do. Cush hub, larger oil reservoir, and cooling fan are some of the upgrades.

Just for kicks, I dare anyone to buy a brand new $9000 KTM 525 (too bad they don’t make this model in 2009) and ride that puppy for 40 hours (daily) without oil change and valve adjustment. I would like to see how many will be willing do it! How many of us do an oil change in our car at 3K instead of 7K, most of the people I know do because we want our cars to last longer.

Also important, keep in mind that you will be riding with Trailtrick and other advanced riders, huh! That ain’t a walk in the park. You will ride that bike “hard” in a dusty condition, unless TT will let you ride in front of him…hahahahaha. The carb will suck dust even with an air filter (assuming you have a good one and properly installed, lol if not) and once mixed in your oil, it will behave like a grinding compound, and if you keep on going, your oil will look like chocolate after the ride.

My discipline and education tell me that there is a proper tool for a job. I would not even think of using an adjustable wrench or even an open end wrench to tighten a bolt. It has to be a socket or box wrench, 6 points preferred.

Treat your equipment well and there’s a greater chance it will serve you well!

now.... let's get back and start posting pics.

adv porn....

I just want to throw out my own experience. YMMV. I have a 2003 KTM 525 EXC with a plate that has well over 5,000 miles on it, mostly hard earned dirt miles but also many highway miles connecting trails. I check/adjust the valves about every 20 hours or so and change the oil every 500 miles or so. I have never had any trouble with the bike, I mean nothing. I may bring it to on the next Baja trip just to show you it can hang!

Again YMMV.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #4371
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time
 
Gregg Wannabe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
hi errin, not really sure if either greg or tony knew what caused it.

both bikes have very little juice at the first turn. but afterr firing them up with my batt, they never had anymore problem.

maybe greg knows something...
I'm guessing that I did not have my battery terminals tightened down. When I checked it that morning it had just a bit of snug left in it. I have had this happen before and really tightening the bolts down fixed things. Regarding the "missing" I was having after that, I think I made things worse when I tightened it down that morning 'cause I added one more wire to the terminal bolt. I'm guessing that there was very few threads to bite the nut and that the bolt is looser now than before. Haven't checked it yet but I'm thinking that's it. Again, this has happened before. Duh!
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #4372
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggroll
Thank you Joel for calling and concern for my well being.
I am doing fine, most of the pain are contributed by a cracked rib.
Two aspirins every now and then would take care of it for now.
I had a fantastic time, always love Baja and can't wait to do it again.
Thank Joel, Dirtdiver, Trailtrick, Big John and Tony for helping me along.
Thank Rob for setting up the ride.

Eggroll
Crap, a broken rib must hurt like a SOB. Amazing that you did as well as you did that second day. Toughness in you! steve
__________________
04 CRF230F
08 KTM990 ADV/ABS Black
09 KTM 530 EXC
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #4373
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
I called Luke and he's fine...

He's smiling again like the last photo taken below...thanks dirtdiver for leading him back to the pavement....now, Luke wants his camp chair from walmart returned to the rightful owner.....
He will have to come on another trip to recover the chair! It looks mighty nice sitting in my garage! steve
__________________
04 CRF230F
08 KTM990 ADV/ABS Black
09 KTM 530 EXC
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #4374
DannyG
I have the waypoint.
 
DannyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggroll
Thank you Joel for calling and concern for my well being.
I am doing fine, most of the pain are contributed by a cracked rib.
Two aspirins every now and then would take care of it for now.
I had a fantastic time, always love Baja and can't wait to do it again.
Thank Joel, Dirtdiver, Trailtrick, Big John and Tony for helping me along.
Thank Rob for setting up the ride.

Eggroll
8 weeks and you will be like new
cracked rib and 5th finger on my R hand.... some road rush B wrists
__________________
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller (1880 – 1968)
My toys: 00 GS1150; 84 Ericson 30+
DannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #4375
trailtrick
goat trail rider
 
trailtrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: socal
Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx
Hey TONY (Black 950, msr had shields), who are you? I want to talk to you about your lights!

PM me
He is my friend ,and i built that set up
__________________
"Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #4376
trailtrick
goat trail rider
 
trailtrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: socal
Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe
I'm guessing that I did not have my battery terminals tightened down. When I checked it that morning it had just a bit of snug left in it. I have had this happen before and really tightening the bolts down fixed things. Regarding the "missing" I was having after that, I think I made things worse when I tightened it down that morning 'cause I added one more wire to the terminal bolt. I'm guessing that there was very few threads to bite the nut and that the bolt is looser now than before. Haven't checked it yet but I'm thinking that's it. Again, this has happened before. Duh!
Greg i have a battery relocator kit in progress ,be ready by friday
__________________
"Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #4377
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Oddometer: 845
So what is the ride this weekend?
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #4378
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzlvr
So what is the ride this weekend?
We need someone to scout the Sawmill and Liebre Mountains and report the status before Sat!.....

Although it has been warm in the last few days due to the Sta Ana, I would guess there are snow and ice up there at 6K elevation.

Any volunteer?

Otherwise....it will be the local AF or Carrizo.

Chances are, I will be out this weekend....

Paging NW to the white courtesy phone booth......
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #4379
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver
He will have to come on another trip to recover the chair! It looks mighty nice sitting in my garage! steve
Steve, I was expecting you to say...if Luke wants it back, I will leave it where I found it (on top of the knoll), and come and get it......

Heal quick Luke and dannyG!...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #4380
trailtrick
goat trail rider
 
trailtrick's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: socal
Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
We need someone to scout the Sawmill and Liebre Mountains and report the status before Sat!.....

Although it has been warm in the last few days due to the Sta Ana, I would guess there are snow and ice up there at 6K elevation.

Any volunteer?

Otherwise....it will be the local AF or Carrizo.

Chances are, I will be out this weekend....

Paging NW to the white courtesy phone booth......
they are good the go
__________________
"Vive tus sueños en vida, no la vida en sueños.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014