ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #4846
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Cool2 From Carrizo to Pozo and back again

Thanks to everyone for such a fun ride. It was good to see friends, both old and new.

I hope Chris and Joel didn't freeze solid going over the mountains last nights. It was getting pretty cold.

The lads that took the High Mountain Road from Pozo covered most of the first day route of CEDRIC. I hope everyone can join in on that one. (Joel, how about June 6-7?)

Did teddy make it back? (I think that's the name of DRZ rider that parked in Maricopa?) I last saw him at an intersection on the Pozo road, while we were waiting for Joel, Chris, Sopascat, and Sopasamber. He went ahead and headed north on a forest service road to 58 instead of the eastbound Pozo road I was expecting him to take. After Joel and the others came through I went north to see if he was waiting at 58 and he was not. I turned east on 58 and met Joel and crew at Pozo Rd/58. They had not seen him pass. I hope he was well ahead of them and found Maricopa safely.

And now a soapbox moment.

Thanks to all of you staying on the roads inside the National Monument. I know this may at times seem contrary to the "spirit of adventure" we are trying to enjoy on our rides, but to those of us that live in rural areas, the tire ruts running up the sides of the hills is just like grafitti on the sides of houses. Then it isn't long before the track becomes a trail, then a road. Over to short a time, we lose the "solitude" and "untouched" feeling that all of us enjoy about the Carrizo. These kinds of places have become so rare in the Southern California. Thanks for helpng it stay that way.
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #4847
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Oh, and Joel, let me just say fuck you in advance for that picture of the time I almost bought a f800gs while we were all stopped.

xymotic almost bought dale's gs, if the dakar didn't miss it by an inch...

xymotic...glad it didn't crash on your gs..

ccer....GOOD! put a single scratch on my spanking cherry yellow gs and IT'S YOURS..

NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #4848
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669

Thanks to all of you staying on the roads inside the National Monument. I know this may at times seem contrary to the "spirit of adventure" we are trying to enjoy on our rides, but to those of us that live in rural areas, the tire ruts running up the sides of the hills is just like grafitti on the sides of houses. Then it isn't long before the track becomes a trail, then a road. Over to short a time, we lose the "solitude" and "untouched" feeling that all of us enjoy about the Carrizo. These kinds of places have become so rare in the Southern California. Thanks for helpng it stay that way.
are those ruts molded-in permanently till the next rain?....

seriously....i agree with ddennis, not too many places accessible to many still remain unmolested. we don't want any more stinking rules if all behave responsibly...we need the support of all adv riders participating in the future rides....

let's keep carrizo the way nature plans it.

edited: dave...cedric in june sounds good to me and we should start a thread in the next couple of months. we need to get hold of wally, walt, darrenO, cabeza, mike (threadless) and others. sure bob aka windrat is listening.

NSFW screwed with this post 02-01-2009 at 12:32 PM
Old 02-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #4849
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

as usual, we stop at the junctions and do head count, take a break...btw this ride was alcohol free..

toby, scott, and dale

xymotic soon to become roger dangerfield...

comes only in 2 colors...gray and black..

dan, a great addition to the group...a well travelled rider who could be a great resource for future rides.....peace to you man...

dave's normal ride is the honda 90, this time he overkilled it by taking the 250 ninja...

where else you'll see miles of groomed dirt

at simmler and elkhorn, the last stop before the honeydo riders and the rest of us went separate ways

this group is riding to pozo..

jim bidding goodbye to those heading home...

hw58 to pozo

Old 02-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #4850
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caktmrider
The culprit...

...the result...

and the damage

scratched up barkbuster

torn plastic panel

and 1 terranova

watch out for this dangerous intersection
Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #4851
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

next stop pozo

View Larger Map
Old 02-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #4852
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

xymotic almost bought dale's gs, if the dakar didn't miss it by an inch...

xymotic...glad it didn't crash on your gs..

ccer....GOOD! put a single scratch on my spanking cherry yellow gs and IT'S YOURS..
I've already said all I'm going to say about that
(it is a damned funny photo though, I just wish it was somebody else)
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #4853
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

dirt road to pozo...very similar to mt. pacifico rd in angeles forest

pozo saloon

Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #4854
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
I've already said all I'm going to say about that
(it is a damned funny photo though, I just wish it was somebody else)

dale was so worried that he puts himself in harms way (between the dangerous dakar and his gs) just in case you drop it again....
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #4855
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
in a matter of 1 week the whole carrizo turned gorgeous....nw and crew's tracks are molded in the dried-up clay until the next rain storm.......
it is gonna take one hell of a storm to erase those tracks.... ..they may be there for centuries as an example of what happens when you don't read....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #4856
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Did teddy make it back? (I think that's the name of DRZ rider that parked in Maricopa?) I last saw him at an intersection on the Pozo road, while we were waiting for Joel, Chris, Sopascat, and Sopasamber. He went ahead and headed north on a forest service road to 58 instead of the eastbound Pozo road I was expecting him to take. After Joel and the others came through I went north to see if he was waiting at 58 and he was not. I turned east on 58 and met Joel and crew at Pozo Rd/58. They had not seen him pass. I hope he was well ahead of them and found Maricopa safely.
yeah, teddy showed up at elkhorn grade when we were loading up the girls bike yesterday night. he was worried for not wearing the proper cold weather gear that he might freeze to death. so he came over and apologized for taking off without notice.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #4857
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:

Unless the "roads" are swamps and shoulders are dry....then you gotsa do what you gotsa do....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #4858
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

poso saloon

right before 3pm, we ordered our lunch

the beer was definitely good after 8 hours of riding.

after lunch, we posed for the parting shots

jim and his crew will be taking the hi mountain rd...that's another good dirt and rugged road, on their way to the hw101

while the mighty brave nOObs will do the 2 hour ride to elkhorn in the dark and cold night.

some daylight left when we hit east pozo

thanks everyone for coming to the ride; we will surely do it again!

hope you all enjoyed the rr and pics both from me and the other contributors.

8)H

NSFW screwed with this post 02-01-2009 at 03:30 PM
Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #4859
reBARman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
As always, Great report and ride Joel!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #4860
reBARman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536