ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #5281
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,684
we had whoops too..

glad to see roundstock made today's ride; he was with us in baja last month.

nmbmn with his usd front suspension...

last hill climb

descending is more challenging than going up

no, we're not in mexico..

back again on the boringly nice dirt road

the 950's proving ground

made it to kramer junction

4 more riders joined us

duane, there's something on your crf450x makes me...
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #5282
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

after 100 yards of pavement, we're back again on dirt on our way to randsburg

the ride was good and fast..then in many unexpected places we ran into deep sand.., but nobody ate it.

the first sign of trouble was when my bike started to bog down, then it went away. we're about 15 miles after we left kramer junction, and all of the sudden the bike died. first thought, i was out of gas, which of course it wasn't the case. afraid of draining the battery, we took turn kickstarting the 640a

then we took off the seat, gas tank, and most plastics so we can easily trouble shoot and work on the bike. sito, steve and i spent a good hour without any good result. so i told rob, go ahead and take the rest of the guys to randsburg while jim tows me back to kramer, while sito and johngil provide some assist if needed (it proved to be valuable help when jim and i got stuck in the sand)

i'm thankful to whoever brought the tow strap, let me know who so i can return it.

towing was tough and lots of close call. then we got swallowed by the deep sand....

we made it to kramer without anymore incident...i owe it to jim, and of course to many as well.

while jim and sito went back to phelan, john and i decided to hang out in kramer.

hell yeah! the price of burger at astro's convinced us it's the best place to park my dead bike

the gyro was good...you guys need to check out this joint.

lots of dirt riders like this place

the hogs were there too, and thought i saw dunerat was with them

after about 2 hours of waiting, spafxer finally showed up
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #5283
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
a little close up... , not really sure if punkenduro crashed, i'll let him give you the scoop.

the bikes narcoleptic, eather that or it need a nap after 150 miles(sidestands in the sand suck). whats sad it the second time it happened it took a swing at roundstock's ktm on the way down (sry again dude). maybe the bike doesnt like ktms to bad your bike broke down joel, cus i spun the bike out in a soft corner and droped it for real, but i got the bike up so fast i dont think anyone could get a picture. next time dude. great ride report by the way.
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #5284
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Accidents and Injuries

as previously mentioned, we had 5 guys hurt in the less than 2 months.

our rides started small with loose rules and that was ok; but now that that the group is getting bigger every ride...i propose that we all adhere to some rules. let us hear from everyone your suggestions.

i'll start it.

1. plan your ride, ride your plan (and have an alternate plan)
3. ride within your own skill level..max out to 75% of your capability.
4. take it easy at the end of the ride..after 3 pm when more accidents happen.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #5285
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,413
Quote:

our rides started small with loose rules and that was ok; but now that that the group is getting bigger every ride...i propose that we all adhere to some rules. let us hear from everyone your suggestions.

i'll start it.

hey J....

Don't know how practical this is....But...one a ride like yesterday's desert run...we need to break into smaller groups.....A,B,C....by ability...

Each Group rides independently....we meet in the morning...at lunch and at the end of the day.....everyone can ride their pace...

To make this work....each group needs a trail leader that know the route...this can be taken care of in advance....
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #5286
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
hey J....

Don't know how practical this is....But...one a ride like yesterday's desert run...we need to break into smaller groups.....A,B,C....by ability...

Each Group rides independently....we meet in the morning...at lunch and at the end of the day.....everyone can ride their pace...

To make this work....each group needs a trail leader that know the route...this can be taken care of in advance....
Agree with all of this.

However, NUMBER 1 RULE: Everyone must carry beer for the ride leader. The only person who followed this rule yesterday was JohnGil ,
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #5287
boyfester
Urban Explorer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Agree with all of this.

However, NUMBER 1 RULE: Everyone must carry beer for the ride leader. The only person who followed this rule yesterday was JohnGil ,
The way I ride through whoops, I don't think anyone would want me to carry beer. Next time, I can't wait to join you guys. Sorry to hear about all the mishaps and injuries.

As for rules that I live by...

1. Don't ride over your limit.
2. Use common sense.
3. Always wait for the next guy at a fork in the road. As you take off, make sure he waits for the next guy too.
4. Don't follow too close to the guy in front of you. (This leads to #5)
5. If you eat shit or almost eat shit in a ditch, hole, etc. and the guy behind you is not on your ass, be sure to wait and flag the guy so he doesn't do the same thing you just did. When racing, unfortunately I can't tell you how many times I've been run over.
6. Don't blast over a hill without knowing what is on the other side (other rider, ditch, canal, etc.).

These were taught to me by my old man when I was 7 years old and I've never forgotten them (except for #2 - sometimes I like to urban explore in out of bounds areas)

boyfester screwed with this post 02-22-2009 at 07:36 PM
boyfester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #5288
bouncing billy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
think about what happened ,traction, no dust ,some pent up aggression,easy to get sucked into to fast to close,just a rare case of haulingassaytous lets not start dictating our rides or how we ride cuz a couple of accidents.As all the racers in the group dr ,tt ,yzlvr,johngill they will say the same,perfect conditions make us all ride faster and harder just know that for the next time.harder and faster =sprained or busted bones if you go down
Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #5289
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
I agree w/ Billy. We've been doing pretty well so far. Some carnage is inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing billy
think about what happened ,traction, no dust ,some pent up aggression,easy to get sucked into to fast to close,just a rare case of haulingassaytous lets not start dictating our rides or how we ride cuz a couple of accidents.As all the racers in the group dr ,tt ,yzlvr,johngill they will say the same,perfect conditions make us all ride faster and harder just know that for the next time.harder and faster =sprained or busted bones if you go down
Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #5290
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

i certainly agree that group of different levels riding together, someone will be bound to get hurt.

agree, the group should be split into skill levels ONLY when we have an unusually large turnout, just like yesterday and some of the previous rides we had.

let's not forget though, our group was founded based on camaraderie and with relaxed attitude. i prefer to continue to promote such atmosphere. most importantly, we don't want to exclude nOObs or less experienced riders from our future rides or similar other actions with selfish motive. i hate to see our rides get ran by motocross junkies (sort of).

at the same time, i would like to see the better riders to have a good time too and work on their skills.

there should be a solution to this. i like sito and trailtrick's idea. if a ride is going to be a tough one...let it be then and announce it in advance. if you're in doubt if you could fit in, pm the ride leader and get his response. meanwhile, ride leader should know all the riders enough to exclude the ones who would be challenged.

if you're new to the group come to the regular local rides. there you get to know the other members of the community; then you get to know where you are in the food chain...

finally, if we decide to ride as a group of different skill levels...everyone should adjust and be flexible. don't do anything that could jeopardized the safety of the other riders. advanced riders should find this an opportunity to help the less skilled riders, while the lesser riders shall see this as one of those few moments to learn and be greatful.

joel
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #5291
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
People of all skills levels can get hurt on even the easiest of rides. I think Nowwhat's point of staying together and helping people home is very important.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #5292
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfester
If you eat shit or almost eat shit in a ditch, hole, etc. and the guy behind you is not on your ass, be sure to wait and flag the guy so he doesn't do the same thing you just did. When racing, unfortunately I can't tell you how many times I've been run over.

one good example, i was following a group of riders and ran over barbed wires in the middle of the trail. once i made it to the lead group, i asked them if they saw the barbed wire, and yes was their response. nobody stopped and warned the rider behind them. i am just as guilty for not being there for the guy behind me....that evening, it made me sick for being selfish and stupid.

not addressed to anyone in particular: better dirt condition should never make us ride harder and faster, but to appreciate the ride more. we're no longer young and into racing. those days are over, it's time to enjoy riding as matured and adult people. we all make mistakes, but others continue to break rules and riding into restricted areas. if you don't want any rules or guidelines then an organized ride is not for you.

NSFW screwed with this post 02-22-2009 at 08:37 PM
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #5293
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
People of all skills levels can get hurt on even the easiest of rides. I think Nowwhat's point of staying together and helping people home is very important.
I agree. That's why I won't/don't ride on until I see a bike in motion. I've been through too many bad experiences to know that there is some safety w/ company.
Every time I ass-u-me, I am sorry.
That happened as recently as yesterday...
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #5294
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing billy
Billy i agree with you ,and i want to add few things :n1 noobs have to no wath type o ride is and wath type o riders go in the ride ,i personal don't care because i can keep up most o the times ,but went ride with noobs i try the make it easy with some technical stuff trow in so they get better ,desert is a very unfamiliar terrain for manny here ,death valley is not the common desert the we ride with open mine shafts,ditchs,rain ruts,rocks ,sandwashes with rocks .N2 most o the noobs bikes are not set up for desert o sand for that matter =crashes N3 most noobs want to ride but i recomend theme the ask ?? to the more experience riders abouth bike set up,ridding position,and anny other ??they have .And the most important get a small bike like a crf 230o xr 250 o 200 and ride it to you get in control 100% o the time and theme switch to a bigger more powerfull bike,even with that crashes sappen .Went i got my 950 i rode it like a mad man and after few months i decide the get ready o her before she get ready o me ,and got a 690,much better bike for wath i do and how i ride .

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #5295
terranova
slow and steady

Oddometer: 308
Quote:

i'll start it.

You said it Joel! I've been following the aforementioned advice after tweaking my ankle (i got off easy compared to others, i know). But i think that if you want this kind of approach to riding to become part of the ADV mindset, then your suggestions should get the same "air-time" as the beer stops. And that means keeping these thoughts on the threads for the rides, rather than isolated on a separate thread. I have nothing against guys riding fast and having a cool barely pop, as long as they are within their comfort zone and skill level. But at the same time you really should keep the "ride safe" and "take it easy and enjoy the scenery" mantras along with all of the beer drinking and trail shredding bravado that goes with the territory . . .
--Dan
terranova is offline   Reply With Quote