ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #5326
Rustler
Happy Camper

Oddometer: 153
Law of

Applying the basic laws of motorcycle physics:

A ride should decrease both in length and difficulty in proportion to the size of the group growing in mass.
Rustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #5327
terranova
slow and steady

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
+1

It's not whether you can successfully be sued, it's the money that would be spent defending yourself. Being an insurance broker gives me a very clear insight as to how slimey attorneys can be and what they'd be willing to take as a claim . This fits within their realm, without a doubt.
Let's say Rider XYZ sues you because he got hurt on your ride. What would be the basis of his claim? That you were negligent in warning him that motorcycling is inherently dangerous? And how much $$ would the lawyer stand to make out of the lawsuite against an individual dualsport rider in the unlikely event that it was successful?

I can see this happening to McDonalds, since they have deep pockets. But does anyone know of a similar case against the organizer of social rides on motorbikes-- either on dirt or street?

Also, given that such a lawsuite is unlikely to be successful, how much incentive is the lawyer going to have to work on such a case?
terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #5328
bouncing billy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
can i still ride with you guys?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #5329
bouncing billy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
ben and ccer pm sent good luck Dr M Hollander 818-986 8822 good guy and excellent surgeon
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #5330
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
When I ride I know what could happen. On Saturday it was just my turn. When I sat back and thought about the crash I was not even going that fast. I was in 2nd maybe 20/25 mph. I slowed down b4 the woop section. I just didnt make the right choices while in the air. I had enoughf time to decide if I wanted to extend my arms or tuck them in. Well I picked to tuck them in to save my wrist. Somehow my shoulder rolled under me. It seems to me that I just had a accident. I choose to ride with you guys/adv because at the end off the day ill get home. That was proven to me this past weekend. If I had any doubt i would ride with other people. Ride with in your comfort zone and be safe. See you guys on the trail as soon as I can. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #5331
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing billy
can i still ride with you guys?
only until you fullfill your end of feb baja commitment.....

next ride.....nOObs march full moon dv redux on the 13th to 15th of next month! see you there if you want.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #5332
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Ama

the AMA has release of liability form which we can get and have every rider sign it before going on a ride....
how much liability ADVrider.com has????

my 2cnt
Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #5333
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova
Let's say Rider XYZ sues you because he got hurt on your ride. What would be the basis of his claim? That you were negligent in warning him that motorcycling is inherently dangerous? And how much $$ would the lawyer stand to make out of the lawsuite against an individual dualsport rider in the unlikely event that it was successful?

I can see this happening to McDonalds, since they have deep pockets. But does anyone know of a similar case against the organizer of social rides on motorbikes-- either on dirt or street?

Also, given that such a lawsuite is unlikely to be successful, how much incentive is the lawyer going to have to work on such a case?
When I owned my snowboard company one of my teamriders was leading a group of riders down some double black diamonds at Mt Baker in Washington. One of the riders hit an ice patch and went over a cliff breaking his back. Mt Baker, my teamrider who was 19 years old, myself personally, my company, and the maker of the bindings all were named as defendants ina $10mm lawsuit.

The basis of the claim was that my team rider failed to exercise caution as the most experienced rider in leading a group of riders to an area known for ice and landslides. I'm in no way claiming to be the most experienced rider.

My self, my company and the binding company were ultimately dismissed from the case. I spent $12k on attorney's fees. The mountain was successfully sued for $990k, and the kid was fined punitive and exemplary damages for failure to exercise caution in the amount of $50K (I think that was the final amount). It's not what you have now that matters. Lawfirms have depts that do nothing but chase money for clients. They can follow you, for I believe 10 years and garnish bank accounts, and attach wages. They ruined this teamrider's life.

Also realize that sometimes a small case such as something like this, is only a test case to set or reset a precedent , so that the outcome can be used as a precedence in a following case to support a reason for a judgment. Things are not always what they appear on their face. Attorneys take cases like this for the notoriety. Why, because they are a bunch of self serving fucks anyways.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #5334
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
now that i think about it, i was injured on your ride.... i cant ride, work or have sex since that accident i also have drug dependency problems because of that
i'll take $1,000,000 and we can save the attorney fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
When I owned my snowboard company one of my teamriders was leading a group of riders down some double black diamonds at Mt Baker in Washington. One of the riders hit an ice patch and went over a cliff breaking his back. Mt Baker, my teamrider who was 19 years old, myself personally, my company, and the maker of the bindings all were named as defendants ina $10mm lawsuit.

The basis of the claim was that my team rider failed to exercise caution as the most experienced rider in leading a group of riders to an area known for ice and landslides.

My self, my company and the binding company were ultimately dismissed from the case. I spent $12k on attorney's fees. The mountain was successfully sued for $990k, and the kid was fined punitive and exemplary damages for failure to exercise caution in the amount of $50K (I think that was the final amount). It's not what you have now that matters. Lawfirms have depts that do nothing but chase money for clients. They can follow you, for I believe 10 years and garnish bank accounts, and attach wages. They ruined this teamrider's life.

Also realize that sometimes a small case such as something like this, is only a test case to set or reset a precedent , so that the outcome can be used as a precedence in a following case to support a reason for a judgment. Things are not always what they appear on their face. Attorneys take cases like this for the notoriety. Why, because they are a bunch of self serving fucks anyways.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #5335
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
So you guys need a waiver o liability if want to ride with me in USA, i don't care in mexico because coyotes with eath you went left behind with no water ,food o complete bike

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #5336
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
...stop fighting the laws of natural selection...

Steven David Soto

––––––––––––––––––––––––

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #5337
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOSOTO
...stop fighting the laws of natural selection...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #5338
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
rotting tires

there are still 3 people who need to pick up their tires.

please let me know so i can move them.

2 tires are already set in a secret hiding place...just come and get them. i will not be responsible if someone get there before you did...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #5339
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG
now that i think about it, i was injured on your ride.... i cant ride, work or have sex since that accident i also have drug dependency problems because of that
i'll take $1,000,000 and we can save the attorney fee
You know what? Now that I think about it, every time I've been injured I've been on one of my rides also . Who do I get to complain to?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #5340
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
So you guys need a waiver o liability if want to ride with me in USA, i don't care in mexico because coyotes with eath you went left behind with no water ,food o complete bike
Javier, don't worry about me. If I get injured I'll eat myself to stay alive, and when the end comes, I'll bury myself as well.