ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #5386
mike toon
AKA Mr Pastrami

Oddometer: 183

mike toon screwed with this post 02-25-2009 at 07:33 PM
mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #5387
knlkern
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
1 day is just aint enough; 2 days for sure will make a difference and better visibility. time for klnkrn, xymotic, artboy, etc...to get put on their jackets again.....
OK, your retinas have been warned!
I like those photoshop skills mike toon
knlkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #5388
SergX
Back on the Saddle

Oddometer: 211
Ok wait, they are sectioning off and making a wilderness area - of an area that is not accessible to begin with? So, what's all the commotion then?

I'd love to join you guys on the cleanup (I have camera + helmet cam), but alas, now my bikes switched around and it's the DualSport that's going into storage as it seems the head gasket let go, plus it's overdue on service, which would be more $ than getting new tires on the Road Bike. I might not even make it past the rough paved section of SCD, yet alone the dirt trails. Unless I can borrow my friend's 3-wheeled scooter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW6rPWjWY1Y
SergX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #5389
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
.......can someone please rattle the grinder out of his hiding place? once we get mr. chairman to check in, we can start lining up all the ideas and suggestions............
Chairman, Wow I am honored.

(Joel what are you nominating me for?, we'll settle up later! )

The last clean up I organized was a Sunday run across SCD with a couple of pickups to haul the stuff the bikes brought back to the trail from the offshoots. It was a slow drive for the trucks as there was lots of little crap allover.

The weird thing was most of the trash I had seen the week before was for the gone and new trash was there. There was some on steep hills that was unaccessible. All in all we hauled a lot of crap out! The trash also lessened the farther you went away from the paved road.

So does anyone truly know the process to adopt a trail and do they even offer such a program in the ANF?
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #5390
mike toon
AKA Mr Pastrami

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96
So does anyone truly know the process to adopt a trail and do they even offer such a program in the ANF?
"Are you interested in becoming a Trail Host or Adopt-a-Trail volunteer? The Trail Host Program enlists volunteers to provide on-site information to other OHV users. The Adopt-a-Trail Program works with groups and organizations to develop projects such as trail construction and maintenance. Contact your local Forest Service office for more information."

If you’re interested in assisting us in managing your National
Forest or have questions about the Volunteer Program, please contact me at 818-899-1900 ext 229 or e-mail hokamoto@fs.fed.us

Howard S. Okamoto
Angeles National Forest

mike toon screwed with this post 02-26-2009 at 12:12 PM
Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #5391
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,155
let's get the ball rolling.

while we're waiting for some organizational development on this project...please start thinking of ideas to promote this project.

anyone knows someone working for cycle magazines, la times, community paper.

stop spending money....and plan on making donations and prizes.

t-shirt and banner design...we need someone to start making sketches.

plan on bringing the family too, we can transport them to the site if we have some guys with 4x4...i know a honda civic can do it too.

let's make this a big event to catch attention that adv riders have civic responsibilities and respect the outdoors.

once we get an organization put together...we should put this project on a separate thread.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #5392
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

I have contacted Howard and he is sending me an application for "Sponsor volunteer agreement" Apparently we fill this out and adjust it as needed sign it and send it back to him. He approves it and gets a forest ranger to sign it and we are "official".

When we set up a group clean up they supply trash bags and let us know where we can dump it.

I will know more when I get the application and post the info

IN A NEW THREAD.

So keep your eyes peeled.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #5393
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,592
We could also contact TreadLightly! to see what kind of support they may be able to offer.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #5394
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

I am also wondering if we should start a adv of so cal club. Official and sh*t. Club dues could go to:

Shirts
BBQs
Clean up events
Organized ride weekends
Charity events
etc.

Would need a name like "ADV SOCAL", "LA ADV" or something. There is a club in San Diego called the "Orange County Dualies" that shows up at the Pediatric Brain Tumor charity dual sport event with big contributions and they are there in force!!!

We could have more pull as an organized group vs a bunch of guys and gals that are located in the "west" of ADV rider.com (no knock to those high and mighty that have brought us together ) But maybe spread our wings a little?

In previous posts and talking about donations it should be monitored by non-California officials, um...I mean a treasurer with in the club.

Thoughts?.....
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #5395
terranova
slow and steady

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96
I am also wondering if we should start a adv of so cal club. Official and sh*t. Club dues could go to:

Shirts
BBQs
Clean up events
Organized ride weekends
Charity events
etc.

Would need a name like "ADV SOCAL", "LA ADV" or something. There is a club in San Diego called the "Orange County Dualies" that shows up at the Pediatric Brain Tumor charity dual sport event with big contributions and they are there in force!!!

We could have more pull as an organized group vs a bunch of guys and gals that are located in the "west" of ADV rider.com (no knock to those high and mighty that have brought us together ) But maybe spread our wings a little?

In previous posts and talking about donations it should be monitored by non-California officials, um...I mean a treasurer with in the club.

Thoughts?.....
Has this been done before? If so, we could get ideas and info from another ADV or OHV group that has done this (adopted a forest road).

We also might want to check with the owners of this website and ask them if they mind if we form a group callled "ADV So Cal" . . .
terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #5396
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova
We also might want to check with the owners of this website and ask them if they mind if we form a group callled "ADV So Cal" . . .
Why not the ADV oval... with SoCal Chapter or LA Chapter along the bottom curve of the oval?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #5397
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,236
I'm in with my pickup and shovel. I'll donate some giveaways too.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #5398
Longerday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
some ideas!

ADV SOCAL
2001 - YZ426 : 1984 - XR500R : 1982 - Original Big Wheel
__________________________________________________ ________________
"YOU'RE NOT STUCK. YOU'RE JUST LAZY"

Longerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #5399
SergX
Back on the Saddle

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longerday
some ideas!

ADV SOCAL
Do we need "Chapter" in there?

I kind of like #2 better, but maybe get rid of "Chapter" and move "SoCal" inside the oval - just above "ADV"?

-Sergio
SergX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #5400
mike toon
AKA Mr Pastrami

Yea, I like the simple one.

mike toon screwed with this post 02-26-2009 at 06:23 PM