ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #7216
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Speaking of that, Let's ride ANF next Sunday? Part 2 of last year's Father's Day ride.

Who's riding next Sunday? Way too hot for the desert 95+.
My son graduates high school Tuesday and his Grad party is Saturday. Probably won't be worth a shit Sunday
Old 06-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #7217
Longerday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Hey Longerday, how about we get together to get to know each other before we start a word-war. We'll play a little follow the leader. Loser buys the beer . This will be fun. Usually I have to carry an 18 pack. Finally someone will buy me some beer.

Let's ride!
I'll just buy you a beer...that way we can just skip the part where i lose something!
2001 - YZ426 : 1984 - XR500R : 1982 - Original Big Wheel
__________________________________________________ ________________
"YOU'RE NOT STUCK. YOU'RE JUST LAZY"

Longerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #7218
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longerday
I'll just buy you a beer...that way we can just skip the part where i lose something!
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #7219
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Great ride today, the 610 get's better and better every time I drop it.

I like riding with Dunerat, I don't have to eat his dust... cus it's already settled. I kept up with him pretty good til he decided to demonstrate power sliding through turns. Buh By!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #7220
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
He don't know me very well, does he? Nor does he know my bike, or even the true weight of a stock Dakar. A stock Dakar weighs 389 lbs. Mine weighs 338 lbs dry. A 2008 Husky TE 610 weighs 309.7 lbs dry. 28 lbs is not a lot of weight on a 300+ lb bike

All I'm trying to relay is mine and my very good friend's experiences with our Husky's.

Only speaking from firsthand knowledge, or relaying a fact. How many Dakars have you owned, or even ridden?
OK... I know I should let this die, but I can't let you get away with this.
It's not 28 LBS, between a Dakar and a 610, it's 80.

28 lbs is not a lot of difference, but be honest, you had to go through a lot of bullshit to get there, and 28 lbs is not nothing. I have no bs and it's still 28 lbs lighter. Believe me, the 2 12" steel rods in my back would notice the difference. Time will tell if the Husky is as reliable as the Dakar, but my own personal experience the Dakar didn't live up to its reputation.

And that's IF, you accept BMW's weight figure which I think is optimistic. I think most Dakars weigh in about 4 and half.

Sure it's 28 between your dakar and a stock 610, But that's not really fair. You had to work damned hard to get that bike there. I'm sure a factory race husky is less still.

For me it came down to this: why spend 4 grand to 'fix' a 8 year old bike? I'm just not that into it. The 610 is a new toy, and it was the right choice for me.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #7221
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
OK... I know I should let this die, but I can't let you get away with this.
It's not 28 LBS, between a Dakar I never said a (any) Dakar and a 610, it's 80.

28 lbs is not a lot of difference, but be honest, you had to go through a lot of bullshit to get there, and 28 lbs is not nothing. I have no bs and it's still 28 lbs lighter. Believe me, the 2 12" steel rods in my back would notice the difference. Time will tell if the Husky is as reliable as the Dakar Your Dak was 8 years old, so it's really not fair now is it. Call me in eight years., but my own personal experience the Dakar didn't live up to its reputation.

And that's IF, you accept BMW's weight figure which I think is optimistic. I think most Dakars weigh in about 4 and half. Actually none do. The 389 is very real dry. That's what Mine weighed dry.

Sure it's 28 between your dakar and a stock 610, But that's not really fair. You had to work damned hard to get that bike there. I'm sure a factory race husky is less still. Factory "Race" TE 610? No such Thing.

For me it came down to this: why spend 4 grand to 'fix' a 8 year old bike? I'm just not that into it. The 610 is a new toy, and it was the right choice for me. Agreed
Now let's ride! How about next Sunday?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #7222
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,313
Quote:
Now let's ride! How about next Sunday?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #7223
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
Que Paso! Are you in for next Sunday?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #7224
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 315
Thumbs down A Commemorative Ride

I woke up early today hoping the weather would be better than it has been during this month of June Gloom. Yes, the sun is out, and the skies are blue, so I headed for SCD.
This pic is near the 4N46 gate. Some clouds were clinging to the ridges, but it was bee-yoo-ti-ful and warm in the forest.

For MikeToon: The wilderness is safe and now gated.

A

There was a Tacoma hogging the road on the way to the picnic area. A stop at the empty picnic area...

4N33

Moody Canyon turnoff...

BPL road...

Three trucks with bikes in the beds were railing the turns, oblivious to anyone else on the road...

Lightning Point Campground...

After this I decided to commemorate the 40th anniversary of me being dropped off in the ANF and spending the night alone. It was 1969, and I had a sleeping bag, a Ruger 10-22, some water, and a can of stew. I hiked a total of about 15 miles. My brother picked me up the next afternoon. I noticed a lot of changes since then...
loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #7225
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Father's Day

Anyone want to ride ANF on Sunday? Should be in the mid 80's.

Was going to try to make one last dez ride, but it looks like it will be near 100 degrees. So staying local this weekend to ride and .
Old 06-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #7226
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer: 363
Pre-Father's Day

well, i had to be back in pasadena for a father's day (a week early) thing for my dad-in-law at 12:30, so i figured i could get out and back no problem.

it's actually the first time i had ridden off-road since i fractured my shoulder riding east camino cielo two days before the huge fires there in october. the shoulder is still sore, but it's been hard to only street ride in the mean time.

my drz has been languishing so i had to order a new battery but other than that it was all ready to go and mostly would stay running too! the wonders of sta-bil. finally i don't have to pull the pilot jet this time!

i've actually never ridden with any ADV guys so, well, i wasn't sure what to expect, really, except for general hooliganism of course.

so mountain man was there with xymotic at shortly after 8 when i arrived in my day-glo jacket. no-one else showed so we took off while the sport bike posse was still busy looking cool.

at the head of lynx we peeled off an inner layer having punched through the clouds, except for mountain man, who seems to be able to withstand cold better than the rest of us. maybe it's all those moutains...

while i was busy trying to pick my bike up on the steep downhill the others ran into a strange marking at a trail junction... perhaps left by some sort of alien... an orange beast?

...and there was the beast...

i'm not sure how many dunerat downed waiting for us but apparently he had been able to hear us coming the whole way.

i guess we did lynx to pacifico to 3N14 (name?) to chilao (mt hilyer fire road?). i had never been on any of those roads before, mostly because i've been on my other bikes on the street for most of the time i have lived here and done more longer distance adventuring/camping (death valley, charrizo plain) on the drz. i've only been dirting for about a year.

apologies, no riding pics, mostly because by the time i got there to take pictures everybody was standing around with their helmets off slackjawing... well it wasn't that bad once i got my dirt legs back but almost. regardless, i had a blast and learned some sweet sweet roads...

we popped out at chileo/newcombs and pinched our way between the R1s. xymotic's husky even had to park over near the GS 'safety zone'... it was 10:30 when we got there.

mountain man (left) bought the beer he had promised us and then some, which was much appreciated!

we just drank, no food, so no food pics. like i said, i had to be back in pasadena at 12:30 and before i knew it the time was 11:40 or something so i shook hands and bailed. it was a super ride back down the crest as well, although i did pass a bunch of rangers and chps trailering a lightly wrecked CBR. there were plenty of chps out all morning (being sunday) so i was glad we had all our fun on the dirt.

thanks to xymotic for turning around when i took a while to get my bike up, mountain man for the beer and dunerat for providing all the colorful quotes that of course i can't remember now! it was a great time. and i got back at 12:35 so i wasn't even in trouble.

wes

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #7227
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
I need the show you my New Roost Machine goin to start hunting for headlights

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #7228
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconrider
we popped out at chileo/newcombs and pinched our way between the R1s. xymotic's husky even had to park over near the GS 'safety zone'...
In the past, my bikes have tried to attack others. My Dakar lunged at a brand new 800gs. The Husky's kickstand is seriously scary around a 30k Harley with custom paint. The spot by the poser bikes just happened to have the widest impact zone.

Great Ride report! Two days in a row! It feels good to get out into the dirt!

See you FF's next Saturday!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #7229
DrJRosen
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Great Pics, nice DRZ set up!
DrJRosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #7230
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,313