ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #8431
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999
I pick up my '09 XR650L Monday after work, I'll be ready to join the rides in a few weeks after I wear in the engine and get some Dual Sport goodies!
Trust me on this, Just ride the piss out of it for a bit before you go nutz buying 'goodies'

It's hard. VERY hard not to imagine all the cool crap you're gonna do. Personally I usually end up buying things 3 or 4 times, only to then chuck it and get rid of it altogether or figure out what works.

Course as I write this, I'm waiting on a GPS, $400 worth of Luggage and a new fuel tank. Today I went crazy and splurged on some new Bar Risers. They are pretty high tech but you only live once linky

If you have to buy something, buy protective gear. DAMHIK Or better yet don't ask Joel how he knows

Also, since you're in Redondo, resist the urge to rip through the field @ 190th and PCH. You may notice a bunch of tracks through there where some hooligan on a red Husky has torn it up a bit through there. Sure it's tempting but those three big signs on the bottom that say "No Trespassing" are for you my friend!

Or at the very least call me so I can get a good picture of you jumping the sand pile in the middle. Oh. and do a recon run cuz sometimes bums sleep in the sandpile in the middle and they get REALLY pissed when you jump them. Again, DAMHIK.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker

xymotic screwed with this post 08-15-2009 at 10:18 PM
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #8432
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,062
Here's a bit of the road up:

Here's Nowhat doing the hill climb:

tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:28 AM   #8433
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by knlkern
^Pretty cool! What camera system are you using?
Hero camera, 5MP. These 3 clips were small enough I didn't have to compress them.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #8434
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Trust me on this, Just ride the piss out of it for a bit before you go nutz buying 'goodies'

It's hard. VERY hard not to imagine all the cool crap you're gonna do. Personally I usually end up buying things 3 or 4 times, only to then chuck it and get rid of it altogether or figure out what works.

Course as I write this, I'm waiting on a GPS, $400 worth of Luggage and a new fuel tank. Today I went crazy and splurged on some new Bar Risers. They are pretty high tech but you only live once linky

If you have to buy something, buy protective gear. DAMHIK Or better yet don't ask Joel how he knows

Also, since you're in Redondo, resist the urge to rip through the field @ 190th and PCH. You may notice a bunch of tracks through there where some hooligan on a red Husky has torn it up a bit through there. Sure it's tempting but those three big signs on the bottom that say "No Trespassing" are for you my friend!

Or at the very least call me so I can get a good picture of you jumping the sand pile in the middle. Oh. and do a recon run cuz sometimes bums sleep in the sandpile in the middle and they get REALLY pissed when you jump them. Again, DAMHIK.
Too funny!

I hear you on the goodies, I've read just about everything I could find on the net, and Dirt Bike mag had a great article a few issues back on what and what not to do to the XR650L.

I ride real dirt bikes and use to road race, so I have lots of gear, leather and dirt. I'll wear my leather pants with dirt boots and dirt upper gear, camel bak, and leather gloves.

I was dirt biking at Gorman/LPNF yesterday and took a spill going too fast on a down the mtn section, and all of my gear worked. That's the 1st spill I've had in a long, long time in the dirt!

I'll post some pix after I pick the bike up Monday evening.
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #8435
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Here's the rest of the video I took from yesterday:

Finally, someone that IS NOT ME falls over!

On the way to the steep descent with Spafixer:

tbarstow screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 12:18 PM
Old 08-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #8436
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Here's the actual descent that Spafixer led me down. The fisheye lens makes it look not that bad from the top, then check out when I look back up the hill:

Thanks again to Mike and Brian for getting me upright again.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #8437
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Here's the actual descent that Spafixer led me down.

LOL, so it was Spafixer's fault? You do know that those hillclimbs are optional right? There's a perfectly nice road to the right

I've bit it going UP that hill. It is pretty dang steep alright
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #8438
Longerday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
Here's the actual descent that Spafixer led me down. The fisheye lens makes it look not that bad from the top, then check out when I look back up the hill:

Thanks again to Mike and Brian for getting me upright again.
So that's how that happened! I get a kick over how many times you look up and down the road as if trying to figure out if there is ANY way outta this 'no way forward but down' situation.

....that big FAT fire road to the right looks awfully inviting!

Good times.
2001 - YZ426 : 1984 - XR500R : 1982 - Original Big Wheel
__________________________________________________ ________________
"YOU'RE NOT STUCK. YOU'RE JUST LAZY"

Longerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #8439
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longerday
So that's how that happened! I get a kick over how many times you look up and down the road as if trying to figure out if there is ANY way outta this 'no way forward but down' situation.

....that big FAT fire road to the right looks awfully inviting!

Good times.
Which way did you go

I REALLY considered it, but in the end decided it wasn't worth re-breaking my shoulder and i woosied out. It's getting pretty bad on those trails up there. Nearly every turn or corner now I'm like "oh yeah, this is that spot I wiped out that one time"
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #8440
Longerday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Nearly every turn or corner now I'm like "oh yeah, this is that spot I wiped out that one time"
It's good to have little memories that remind you to respect your insurance deductible. But perhaps it is a better idea to just forget about all that day-dreamy stuff and focus all that energy on navigating the obstacles that continue to roll under your tire.
2001 - YZ426 : 1984 - XR500R : 1982 - Original Big Wheel
__________________________________________________ ________________
"YOU'RE NOT STUCK. YOU'RE JUST LAZY"

Longerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #8441
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longerday
It's good to have little memories that remind you to respect your insurance deductible. But perhaps it is a better idea to just forget about all that day-dreamy stuff and focus all that energy on navigating the obstacles that continue to roll under your tire.
Well that's one way to go I guess.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #8442
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,738
Ride to Bear Arms

very nice footage tim.....i know that's a lot of work, and thanks for posting..

we met on orovista so we can do scd in the reverse order

jim, me, danny, and tim; that pressure suit saved my skin on this ride..

upper big t, hugging the inside

the 2 huskies brian and aaron waiting for the rest

dannyG was loaded

nowwhat's 8" hid doing the job

for the first time, my xr let me down.... a loose choke lever won't allow air to flow through. this i found out later on when xymotic was getting my ride

everyone stepped away as danny kickstarted my bike...

soon, sports bike showed up

after xymotic volunteered to ride back and get his truck, the FFs reluctantly left and continue on with the ride.

from hereon, tim's video will take you along for the ride....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #8443
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

after i got my bike to fire up, turned around to meet xymotic on his way up to get me. good he wasn't far from orovista, and we decided to leave the truck in the baseball park and catch the FFs by skipping lynx and 4n24

i was impressed how this bike hauler works

we hauled ass and directly got on scd. doing it in the reverse direction made it look different and unfamiliar

xymotic was smart to let me test the water....

having done scd a hundred times, i felt very confident, but i forgot we were doing the reverse order. the terrain was new to me and the dumber side of me didn't think of it. i entered this corner, hard pack dirt with silt on top of it, and OFF CAMBER......i didn't even slow down and the rear wheel slid away; low sided and skid about 10 ft away.

atgatt saved my butt, almost. the damaged, torn pressure suit, pants, bruised left elbow, cut in right palm, tweaked my left knee and swollen left ankle

this design is not the best, the 2 molded plastic armors are too far apart, instead of full coverage. check out xymotic and spafxer's alpinestar elbow protection from previous pics.

the result, the edges of the plastic cups scraped my skin

spend a little money, get the dainese or alpinestar....though i like the dainese since it was crash tested by nowwhat....
Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #8444
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
the result, the edges of the plastic cups scraped my skin

spend a little money, get the dainese or alpinestar....though i like the dainese since it was crash tested by nowwhat....
Or the Acerbis Koerta if you can find one.

Jeeze Joel! I asked you if you were ok and you said "Yah"

I guess you were in shock. Do you want your Alpinestars suit back? Say the word.

Were you wearing knee braces or shin guards?
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #8445
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Or the Acerbis Koerta if you can find one.

Jeeze Joel! I asked you if you were ok and you said "Yah"

I guess you were in shock. Do you want your Alpinestars suit back? Say the word.

Were you wearing knee braces or shin guards?

xymo, at the time, it was my ego that said ok...

i had the pdmx knee brace on, it could have prevented further knee injury by minimizing knee twist.

i like the alpinestar but it's not compatible with the leatt neck brace. the back support tends to pull the neck brace further back.

the good thing about riding on a sat, i was able to rest the whole sunday. i'm feeling a little better, though i doubt if i can do KM next weekend. i'll know by thursday afternoon.

another lesson learned and i hope those who read this got something out of it (at my expense... )