ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #11116
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains

cathy, tell us it's nothing serious
nothing serious, just banged up a little, hit my head both times I fell though....

these guys are failures as photo-documentarains.....they picked me & the bike up without taking a single pic
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #11117
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito

When Man is beat by Machine!
isn't it the same ending on every ride... this time, it didn't cost xymo $500 (AT LEAST!)

sorry bro, i could not help it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
Yeah, woulda been great if the heated vest wasn't keeping my workbench warm.... After all it was 80 degrees in L.A.! And I was going to the desert.

Still getting compliments on that jacket though..... Notice the helmet to go along with the orange jacket...

My prayers to the KTM gods were answered,,,, I did have a GRREAT ride!

jim, you just joined the ranks of sito and nowwhat!..
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #11118
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat
nothing serious, just banged up a little, hit my head both times I fell though....

these guys are failures as photo-documentarains.....they picked me & the bike up without taking a single pic

next time add a little acting, don't get up until it's fully documented...

good to hear you're ok...

how's that new gps? did it survive? you like?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #11119
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:

sorry next time i'll take a pic be4 i help.... the problem is the if the person under d bike not moving it get me thinking about heli ride
Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #11120
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG
sorry next time i'll take a pic be4 i help.... the problem is the if the person under d bike not moving it get me thinking about heli ride
Thanks Danny, I really do appreciate it.......
I actually have no recollection of that crash
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #11121
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Quote:
acting wasn't within my capabilities at that moment
Quote:

afraid I didn't even try it on the bike, I need to figure out if the mount they got for it is going to be secure enough
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #11122
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I wasn't going to come on this ride, because I'm Riding to Cabo in a few days. But I woke up inexplicably at 4:30am and figured I should test out some of the Farkles I've been adding to the bike.

I got caught behind a CHP cleaning a bunch of clothes of the freeway.

I Remembered Someone mentioning Denny's for breakfast, but I couldn't remember which Denny's. I passed one by and decided to turn around and see if anybody was there. Good thing I did because my new rear tire was thrashed. I thought DOT Rated was kind of a performance benchmark like SNELL. A not rated helmet still works. But Non-DOT tires do not work on the highway, at all I'm sure you knew this but I didn't

I was going to turn around and drive home super slowly, but Bouncing billy wouldn't have it and Nowwhat said I could ride the dirt all day on that tire. So we loaded it up in BB's Truck.

Here's my new tire:

After we waited several hours Sopascat, Rrugger, and DannyG strolled up. I think they might have picked up spafixer along the way?

Then we waited a bit more because Vern's DRZ wouldn't start. Eventually they towed him for a push (pull?) start.

Soon after it died again and this time Razor stepped up and re-ignited the DRZ

I went off ahead and found a neat little jump to take some pictures. I'm sorry guys, I missed most of them, some of you had some pretty cool Wheelies and jumps and my little camera just couldn't keep up
bouncing Billy

Sito

DuneRat

Spafixer and FNG (FNG is a friend of Riddler990, and I forgot his name... He's not a member of the Board so FNG it is )

Sopascat (I think)

Tbarstow

rrugger and I think DannyG

Again, My apologies to All, I didn't even get a shot of Razr cuz he went through so fast. I dunno if it's shutter lag or operator error, but I don't seem to be real good with timing shots on the new Camera.

We headed off in a general direction, when there was no road going where we wanted we just went that way anyway.

Razr stopped to pixelate some FF's going up a hill climb.

Razor made it look easy on the tanker.

Once we got to the top we discovered that the other side was way steeper and looser.
Bouncing Billy and Dunerat didn't bat a eye and just kept going.

While the rest of us had time to contemplate our impending doom

This was not NowWhat's most graceful descent, but to his credit he did keep it mostly upright.

The rest of the crew made it down without much drama

I dunno what happened here, but Riddler990 like forgot how to ride, or fell into a weird gravity well or something

Take 2, same as before

We went UP that steep assed hill that tried to kill me and biggie a few weeks ago.

Vern went up and made it. Boucing billy got to the top and stopped to congratulate himself and fell back down.
Then I went, and the bike made it to the top though it was upside down on the lip.

Vern and Sito got to know each other a little better

Vern Saw Nowwhat's lame assed attempt and decided he'd better stay put to help.

Vern Told everybody else to stop, NowWhat was the only one who thought he was still gonna make it

Yup

Sure I had to roll my bike over the lip, but when all is said and done Vern and I were the only two standing on the top of the hill. They all gave up so we waved.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I made it up that sucker... With this...

The Pumkin Twins

Bouncing billy had a nasty crash and got pinned under the bike with the throttle stuck and in gear. Eventually Vern got the wire off the plug (after getting bit by the coil) and billy was able to crawl out without getting eaten by the tire.

He ironed his brake pedal pretty good.

After passing inspection,

BB is deemed good to go

When we headed back the truck decided it didn't like one gas tank, and the other was empty. After driving forever on a empty tank, we pulled into the first gs station, and the place was crawling with flashing lights. they had everything... fire truck, ambulance, CHP's local cops. It looked very much like a shooting in progress , but we wuz on fumes to Billy wailed on the horn and in his best jersey accent told the fire truck driver to 'move dat ladda fore I shove it up yer @$$! The firemen realized they was outclassed and moved out of the way obliginly.

The last time we rode this area there was a hill climb that gave biggie some problems. I went charging up it thinking I'd done it before how bad could it be? I didn't make it 1/3 the way up and my front deflected off a rock and I went down hard on my head. Broke the visor off the Shoei, and put a nice scratch in the brand new Shield
Today my Wrist is killing me, I'm calling it a bad sprang, I have full movement and the swelling has gone down since yesterday, but honestly I think I might have cracked something in there. 7 day trip to Baja in four days. Smart
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker

xymotic screwed with this post 12-21-2009 at 10:41 AM
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #11123
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
isn't it the same ending on every ride... this time, it didn't cost xymo $500 (AT LEAST!)

Yeah, think again

How much is a shoei Hornet and a 606?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #11124
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Yeah, think again

How much is a shoei Hornet and a 606?

hornet @ $429 + 606 @ $70 = $499

sorry dude, you didn't make the $500 mark..

but no matter what, your pain is mine too...

i think you should call the dealer about this one; not the first time i've seen this on 606s. there's a whole thread out there about the knobs breaking off. imagine if that's on a 950/990...

ka chunk, ka chunk, ka chunk...not good.

good ride report and thanks for the pics!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #11125
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,180
Quote:
not the first time i've seen this on 606s. ...not good.

not a 606,that was a non speed rated non DOT tire,and most of all not a DunlopPS i run that same tire on my YZ....its a good tire.just not for 80 plus on hwy
Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #11126
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat
Thanks Danny, I really do appreciate it.......
I actually have no recollection of that crash
So, what happened with the other crash? Lost front end, endo'd, slid out, etc? Not remembering a crash means you took a pretty good jolt to the head, like a mild to moderate concussion.

When I was an up and coming dirt biker, I always analyzed my crashes to see what I could improve; my riding style, ability to read the terrain better, bike set up, etc.
CR250R
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #11127
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
That maxxis looks like the desert IT right? The 3 guys I was with at the ADVpit in El Coyote all ran those front and rear. A 625, a 450 rxv and a 250x honda, and NONE of them chunked. I even lead them back through ensenanda and all the way to tecate on pavement up to 70/75mph and the tires looked new when we split up in ensenada.

2004 KTM 525 exc
2006 Beta Rev3
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #11128
dunerat
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx
That maxxis looks like the desert IT right? The 3 guys I was with at the ADVpit in El Coyote all ran those front and rear. A 625, a 450 rxv and a 250x honda, and NONE of them chunked. I even lead them back through ensenanda and all the way to tecate on pavement up to 70/75mph and the tires looked new when we split up in ensenada.

the tires in question were reportedly used at close to 100mph for about an hour alledgedly of course i too run the tires and had no such issues..the guys an animal.meow
Old 12-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #11129
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerat
the tires in question were reportedly used at close to 100mph for about an hour alledgedly of course i too run the tires and had no such issues..the guys an animal.meow

100 for maybe 10 mins. 70+ for over an hour.
Yeah, totally my fault for not knowing, and it was a desert IT not a 606
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #11130
dunerat
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
100 for maybe 10 mins. 70+ for over an hour.
Yeah, totally my fault for not knowing, and it was a desert IT not a 606
i stand here sitting corrected