ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #11791
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
need windows Xp HOME edition disk

Quick hijack: i'm looking for a copy of XP home edition. I'm trying to reload my Dad's computer, but trying to avoid buying the "restore" disks. I tried my copy of XP pro, but doesn't work w/ the ID # on the bottom of laptop.
Or if someone has restore disks for a HP ZV6000.

Thx

Marty
Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #11792
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Pissed

There were a couple rides today,

Nowwhat activated the trackback feature on the GPS he didn't have and went back to that double top secret knarly singletrack that Trailtrick punished him on. He tried to be polite when he un-invited me telling me the 610 wouldn't be able to do the hill climbs.

Ya, it's the 610's fault

Them guys are prolly still out there in the mud.

Biggie, riddler, and Vern went to Mojave and I think Jawbone. I was gonna tag along but I woulda had to get up WAAAYYYYYYYY to damned early.

Plus I didn't have a taillight so I left them to their own devices.

I rolled out about 9 am and I wanted to go out in 'the desert' I started in Mojave and headed generally toward Jawbone. I've never been, and don;t know the trails so I got very lost.

I had a lot of firsts today.

First time I ever rode over a railroad track.
First time in deep mud
First time in snow.

Also, it was my first time getting stuck on a train track
First time falling in deep mud
First time falling in snow.

I couldn't find my camera, but I did take some shots with my iPhone. I think you'all will be suitably impressed/amused.

did 265 miles, when I got home after 100 miles @ 80 on the freeway the bike had a prolific oil leak. Which I guess is good that there's still something in there to leak! I also ripped to shit my Giant-loop bag, so as per usual an expensive day for Xymotic.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #11793
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
I was heading to mountain high for some snowboarding today and saw about 10 adv guys mostly bmw w/lugage at the 138/I15 over pass. Was it any of you guys?

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #11794
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

OK, so I left Mojave down the back side of the airport. After a ways I just grabbed some random road. It dumped me out near the railroad track, so I followed that generally south for a bit until I got corralled into the bottom of a V where two tracks intersected. There was a crossing, but it was marked 'private' and gated pretty thoroughly. So I looked both ways and went for it.

Got over the first rail no problem, but the front and rear hit the second at the same time and it just wasn't happening.

So I thought to myself "Hmmm, so this is how those idiots on the TV get themselves killed!" I was able to turn and get into the middle and then down at the switch there was a spot with enough bite to get over. I may need to practice these skills.

Next I came to some sort of OHV area on the N side of the 14, there were lots of toy haulers around. I decided to go up to the snow.

Before Nowwhat makes up some story about the bag weighing 4o pounds, it was kinda empty Had tools tube & a clutch cable in it. I only brought it so that I'd have a place to store my heated gear (yeah right!) This is when I discovered that the buckle on the Coyote Bag had let go, bouncing my tools into the tire Well at least I saved the tools this time

The road took me to the wind-farm, but you can get a lot closer up this side, so you can bet I'll be back with a SLR to get some real pictures.

The road sort of dead ended, There was some fairly steep single track of to the side, and so I decided to try that rather than back tracking

I was trying to shoot a pic of the windmill but the iphone's kinda hard to aim backwards, so I ended up with a shot of my face-shield. Still I think it turned out kinda cool.

Steeper than it looks!

I made it through some pretty impressive ruts and washes, but then I got a bit off-line hit a 45 degree root with the front and it all got wonky. I almost saved it but I lost my footing and bam. I had a HARD time lifting it back up, because I couldn't get a footing.

Never had the bike go in like 5 inches for a little drop

I came into a wash, the sand was just AMAZING But I came into a corner a bit to hot and hit a rut. I think this one was mostly me being tired. Either that or it really was the 610's fault

That hit bent the bars pretty good (the speedo is straight.)

I decided I better head home because I was tired and didn't want to ride in the dark, so I just picked a bunch of random dirt roads that headed generally the right way. I was doing pretty good, heck I even stopped to take this photo for you guys.

But then I hit a section that was WAY wetter and WAY deeper. The path was like a foot deep, and looked really wet. So I went off to the side on virgin mud. Big mistake! The bike hit a wet spot, reved and dropped straight down, at the same time The front caught a rut and the bike turned nearly 90 degrees in an instant!!

I've never experienced crap like this. I fell twice just walking in it! It was like glue. It was so-bad I could not even move the bike. I mean nothing! No movement whatsover!! Eventually I found a discarded 4x8 and was able to use it as a lever. Once the bike made a sshhhhhtk sound I was able to gradually lift it and then walk it to higher ground.

It's like the bike was covered in poo!

The stuff would cling to anything, and soon everything was covered.

I stopped to adjust my iPod and a local stopped to ask if I was ok
He really wanted a picture of this idiot covered in mud so I obliged. He was nice enough to take a photo of me with the phone.

Here's a KML if you're interested in the locations.
http://ontheboat.net/gallery2/main.p...2_itemId=23106

All the pix are located at http://ontheboat.net/gallery2/v/moto...242010-mojave/

I came back via Lake Elizabeth and San Fransicuito Canyon, Surprisingly it seemed like the gates were all open there.

When I got home I noticed the bike bleeding oil pretty badly. I think the chain used the mud to sand away the epoxy I used to fix the hole I punched in the case on my Yuma trip. Scary that I went like 100 miles on the 5 @ like 90 before noticing it. The sight glass is pretty empty, but it is still leaking pretty good so hopefully I didn't hurt it too badly. I guess I gotta get that sucker welded up. If any of you spot a 610 motor for sale Septic and I are both gonna need one Biggie too probably.

The desert be FUN right now!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 10:28 PM
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #11795
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,429
bwhahahahahaha.....great report Xymo....you are a madman....

The Husaberg did 100 miles of madness today with no naps...I am not entirely comfortable on it yet but the bike is very....very intuitive....point and shoot...needs bar risers and a better seat....

10 thumpers...no injuries....no broken equipment...no headlight for 2 bikes on the ride home in the dark...no problem...

Snow...check
Deep Snow....check
Mud....check
2000 giant ass puddles on the backside of every whoop....check
A+ Hillclimbs....check
sand washes...check
running stream beds....check

pictures....none...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #11796
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
bwhahahahahaha.....great report Xymo....you are a madman....

The Husaberg did 100 miles of madness today with no naps...I am not entirely comfortable on it yet but the bike is very....very intuitive....point and shoot...needs bar risers and a better seat....

10 thumpers...no injuries....no broken equipment...no headlight for 2 bikes on the ride home in the dark...no problem...

Snow...check
Deep Snow....check
Mud....check
2000 giant ass puddles on the backside of every whoop....check
A+ Hillclimbs....check
sand washes...check
running stream beds....check

pictures....none...
As muddy as the desert was I thought you guys would still be up there!

I thought about your berg a lot today. losing like 80 pounds off the 610 with the same power would be 'neat'

Seriously, get a camera man! Heck I didn't have no dang camera today you slacker! Glad you're all safe, I was a little worried. Anybody got Eric's Spot address?

Oh and one other thing, your hills and mud were little pussy ones. I am king.
Prove me wrong.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #11797
toast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Mojave area ride pics

It was a long day, great riding and some time in the snow which is a bit challenging.
No flats, nobody hurt too bad (how is the arm Sito) , no breakdowns, great traction, some night riding, great group of guys, nobody lost.
And I am so glad to be back on a thumper, she saved me on 2 occasions.

Sorry no time to post the pics the normal way, these slide shows are just too easy to do.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1024" height="768" id="ssidx">

YouTube
Spot
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #11798
terranova
slow and steady

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
I thought about your berg a lot today. losing like 80 pounds off the 610 with the same power would be 'neat'
That would be awesome in the dirt. But what about on those long rides on the freeway that you do? There's always that trade off . . .
Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #11799
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
congrats on the 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast
It was a long day, great riding and some time in the snow which is a bit challenging.
No flats, nobody hurt too bad (how is the arm Sito) , no breakdowns, great traction, some night riding, great group of guys, nobody lost.
And I am so glad to be back on a thumper, she saved me on 2 occasions.

Sorry no time to post the pics the normal way, these slide shows are just too easy to do.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #11800
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG
congrats on the 690
Jeesh... am I the only left with a full sized bike?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #11801
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,951
Thumb beentheredonethat

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
No.

I know exactly where you were xymotic...

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 06:53 AM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #11802
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
xymoting, you're the man!

stop dreaming on a lighter bike...you're what you are...

nice rr....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #11803
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #11804
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:

Soon, maybe this week!
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 AM   #11805
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
Soon, maybe this week!
Oh no... not another one!!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote