ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #11896
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis
I guess you where right xymotic I should have got a husky, at 9 months and 4500 mile and 4 oil changes it looks like my bike has developed piston slap I should have known this would happen when it burnt more than a quart of oil during the break in so its a top end rebuild and possibly a fight with Honda for the warranty on the way. The worst part is I'll never trust the bike on long trips, the very reason I got it in the first place...FFFUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK I'm really bummed. I was just starting to getting back to riding regularly, this is my 6th bike and my 4th Honda and I've never had to do a top end rebuild but the first time I buy a new bike it doesn't even make it a year. Sorry just having my pity party
I have only heard of this happening to the 08 models. What year is xr650l? How long is a xr650l warranty for anyway? Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #11897
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1
I have only heard of this happening to the 08 models. What year is xr650l? How long is a xr650l warranty for anyway? Ben
It's an 08 with a 1 year warranty and a 3 year extended warranty that I'm glad I paid for now. I just got back from the shop where it was already apart with big old scoring marks on the piston the cylinder doesn't look to bad, should be able to hone it out. It sounds like Honda is going to honer the warranty so thats good.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #11898
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Jm. That good news that they are going to honor the warranty. Who is going to do the repair work? I still have that blinker when your ready. Ben
Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #11899
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Ben sorry I've been flaky, the bike has fuked up my week, I'll stop by for real tomorrow.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #11900
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 898
Jawbone Ride

Is the Jawbone ride going to be Sat or Sunday? I can probably make it if it is on Sunday.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #11901
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin_mathis
It's an 08 with a 1 year warranty and a 3 year extended warranty that I'm glad I paid for now. I just got back from the shop where it was already apart with big old scoring marks on the piston the cylinder doesn't look to bad, should be able to hone it out. It sounds like Honda is going to honer the warranty so thats good.
You need to find the root cause of the problem (oil pump?), otherwise, there's a good chance it will happen again.

But, that would be strike 2 and a good reason to exercise the Lemon Law.
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #11902
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
My last change was first with Rotella, I think it was 20/50
No noises or problems whatsoever.
Rotella Syn, or Rotella dino?

I use Mobil 1 15W-50 (auto) in all of my 4 stroke bikes and have never had any issues. (Not that I'm impuning Rotella oils.)

I recall seeing these 3 failure modes on SMJ in the Husky section for 610s; 1) broken bits of reed valve from excessive cam chain wear, 2) a loose cam oil splash plate that was chewed up, and 3) loose primary drive gear nut.

Do you have a 610 service manual? I have a soft copy and can email it to you if you PM me your email address. If covers the TE and SM, everything is the same except the wheels.
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Old 01-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #11903
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Thanks for the help Earl. It was Dino.

I'm 70% sure it's not #3 as I have checked that recently.

The other two I could live with, George suggested it might be a small chunk of the stator, which I could deal with too.

Have you done a cam chain Check? I'm a little scared to do it cuz I dunno what I'm doing, and don't have a garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999
Rotella Syn, or Rotella dino?

I use Mobil 1 15W-50 (auto) in all of my 4 stroke bikes and have never had any issues. (Not that I'm impuning Rotella oils.)

I recall seeing these 3 failure modes on SMJ in the Husky section for 610s; 1) broken bits of reed valve from excessive cam chain wear, 2) a loose cam oil splash plate that was chewed up, and 3) loose primary drive gear nut.

Do you have a 610 service manual? I have a soft copy and can email it to you if you PM me your email address. If covers the TE and SM, everything is the same except the wheels.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #11904
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999
You need to find the root cause of the problem (oil pump?), otherwise, there's a good chance it will happen again.

But, that would be strike 2 and a good reason to exercise the Lemon Law.
From what I could find on the 08 problem. Its pointing to the oil pump not being primed right. What sucks Honda knows about it. It seems that the production time of the bad 08 has been around the same time. I came across a post of engine # with bad engines. It was freaky how close the #'s were. Ben
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #11905
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
Thanks for the help Earl. It was Dino.

I'm 70% sure it's not #3 as I have checked that recently.

The other two I could live with, George suggested it might be a small chunk of the stator, which I could deal with too.

Have you done a cam chain Check? I'm a little scared to do it cuz I dunno what I'm doing, and don't have a garage.
I was thinking about the magneto side too, since the debris didn't make it to the oil filter, but was stopped by the screen bags, which is a good thing.

I was trying to think of what could fail on that side, but George could be right on. I've seen one other case where the epoxy sealant on the magneto coils dislodged and made it's way to the screen bags, but those particles are non metallic, unlike yours. Good thing is that screen bags did their job!

Try running syn oil next time, your engine will run so much smoother, shift better, etc, etc.

Yes, my Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) was fine, that problem was fixed from '07 on.
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #11906
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
From what I could find on the 08 problem. Its pointing to the oil pump not being primed right. What sucks Honda knows about it. It seems that the production time of the bad 08 has been around the same time. I came across a post of engine # with bad engines. It was freaky how close the #'s were. Ben
That's freaking pathetic!

If Honda knows about the problem, they should step up and recall those engines and replace them.

I'm surpised no one has sued the fukers, or filed a complaint with the NHSTA! That could've caused a serious injury or death if the engine seized at freeway speeds!

Be sure to have your shop prime the oil pump!
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #11907
purelick
DIRTRIDER

Oddometer: 747
purelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #11908
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 523
Uh Yeah, were riding Saturday.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #11909
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990
Uh Yeah, were riding Saturday.
Sorry for bring this here. We should start a LA shoot the shit thread so it doesn't bury the rides.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #11910
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ben do you have a link to those #'s? I read about the 08 oil pump priming memo but haven't found the original posting, I'd really like to see it to see for myself.