ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #14371
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Back home w/ a little more than 200 more miles on the brokeback beemer.
Thanks to Jim and Roger.

Interesting day w/ a little disappointment thrown in. Locked gates suck!
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #14372
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,270
did 269 miles today on my dr650. San pedro to lake arrowhead to visit with the folks. lots of water flowing up there, couple of water crossing over the footpegs. then on the way home i hit the 138 to the 2 and took the twisties all the way to tujunga. stopped at newcombs ranch for a warm beer, maybe 20 bikes there all together. no one on the road. fun day!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #14373
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
ben, everyone rides fast and i always end up riding alone...no wait a minute, there were hikers along side.....
You should come ride with the Orange County Slowpokes since Dennis is just about to graduate to the Orange County Intermediates

Geoffster, Dirtdadx, and I did some exploring south of Big Bear today but were thwarted by a closed gate. We attempted to portage the bikes around but failed. Anyway, we ended up finding an awesome "GS" dirt track which we all loved. Hell, I even got it into 2nd gear and caught air We also passed through our first real water crossing.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #14374
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rider
did 269 miles today on my dr650. San pedro to lake arrowhead to visit with the folks. lots of water flowing up there, couple of water crossing over the footpegs. then on the way home i hit the 138 to the 2 and took the twisties all the way to tujunga. stopped at newcombs ranch for a warm beer, maybe 20 bikes there all together. no one on the road. fun day!
WTF
thats just not right
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #14375
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
just lucky, and not exactly got slammed, the wind pushed me towards the rail and was in the pinned position for about 2 - 3 minutes waiting for help. eventually the wind died down, pushed the bike away and able to pry my leg out.
When I lived in Chicago I would take trips out on the great plains I would get blown on the shoulder all the time

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #14376
johngil
Reseda, CA

Not really any good photos. Had Momma's camera so it stayed in my pocket mostly.

Jim was hungry right from the start. This place was good. The hot sauce was HOT.

Not a bad view heading up to the trail.

Partners in crime. Thanks guys.

Jim returning from the clothing optional area.

Nice views and a great road, but it led to a couple of locked gates.

Probably won't do this ride again, but it still turned out to be a great day on the bike.

Next week...

johngil screwed with this post 05-30-2010 at 03:48 PM
Old 05-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #14377
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
WTF
thats just not right
i dont think they keep the kegs cold. they are only open fri-sunday, take a few day to get it cold i bet.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #14378
johngil
Reseda, CA

650L for sale

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...ad.php?t=38079
Old 05-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #14379
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,818
those are cool pics john...

someone need to buy this bike or else....

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #14380
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Nice ride report John. That food court tri-tip joint is great. I would be happy to spend all day riding in the Santa Barbara area even if it was all on pavement. I used to do a lot of those dirt roads in my Honda CRX when I was in school. Was the clothing optional shot in the Red Rock area? I would have expected that shot to be from behind. Jim, if you want to ride up there some other time, let me know.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #14381
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Nice ride report Joel. I think I would have turned around after getting blown off the road. After seeing the snake, I would have definitely taken that as a sign. You take your assignments very seriously. How did the drills go? You can do most of them in that parking lot by your house. You must really want to work on your hill climbing. Here's a new assignment for you. Get that KTM dirt bike together. Much lighter and much more nimble than the XR and has electric start. The air cooled thing is nice, but don't get hung up on it. I'm still on my original radiators and they're all bent up. Probably dropped and crashed my bike more times than you.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #14382
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieFalls
Nice ride report Joel. I think I would have turned around after getting blown off the road. After seeing the snake, I would have definitely taken that as a sign. You take your assignments very seriously. How did the drills go? You can do most of them in that parking lot by your house. You must really want to work on your hill climbing. Here's a new assignment for you. Get that KTM dirt bike together. Much lighter and much more nimble than the XR and has electric start. The air cooled thing is nice, but don't get hung up on it. I'm still on my original radiators and they're all bent up. Probably dropped and crashed my bike more times than you.
My XR is actually for sale as I bought a DRZ400s...I am tired of kicking f@$%^ing bikes!!!

By the way nice segway....... 2002 XR400R CA plated for sale!
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #14383
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:

someone need to buy this bike or else....

I already have one and am VERY happy with it. The thought of buying another one and motarding it did cross my mind!

These are great all around bikes and can handle freeway speeds with ease. It took me only 30 minutes to adjust the valves yesterday, not having Fing radiators to take off for access to the valve covers was terrific! My only complaint is the deeply recessed spark plug and the special wrench that's need to get to it.
Yamaha WR250 (2 Smoke X Country/Trail/Desert)
Yamaha YZ426 (Plated!)
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #14384
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl999
I already have one and am VERY happy with it. The thought of buying another one and motarding it did cross my mind!

These are great all around bikes and can handle freeway speeds with ease. It took me only 30 minutes to adjust the valves yesterday, not having Fing radiators to take off for access to the valve covers was terrific! My only complaint is the deeply recessed spark plug and the special wrench that's need to get to it.
I love mine but they could be a bit lighter and your right the spark plug is a pain to get to.

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK
jamin_mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #14385
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,228
My wife saw this in the paper yesterday. Seems like some progress in the ANF.

"Over the weekend, about 10,000 people will flock to the Angeles National Forest, including the 97,848 acres that were reopened Monday, said Stanton Florea, spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service. The Magic Mountain Wilderness, the vast majorities of Pleasant View Wilderness, West Fork of the San Gabriel River, Rincon Shortcut Road, Millard Campground, Chilao, Bandito, Horse Flats, Meadow Loop, Manzanita Loop and Coulter recreation areas reopened for the first time since the Station Fire devastated the region last year, Florea said."

Linky
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_15185098?IADID