Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #2506
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This one will be the same.. beauty in the eyes of the beholder and all..
I'm still searching for my 1200 Madura with knobbies photos.
MacMcMacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #2507
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Monster2013Azaleas by Shooter158, on Flickr
As the gentleman said to the lady, "that's quite a bush you've got there",
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #2508
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
I owned an '87 Magna 700 bought new. I sold it to get married. Not such a bright thing to do. But while I like it a lot, the best looking street bike of all time, not including limited production and custom built, would have to be the 1968 Triumph Bonneville. Second would probably be the 1969 Honda CB750K0.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #2509
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Shoreview View Post
That is something special....very nice!

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
Yes it is. Too bad it isn't mine. I lifted that pic from the Classic American Iron forum (caimag.com). I've always had a thing for the K models, but never managed to own one yet. Good ones are rare and pricey, but I may get lucky someday.

davevv screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 06:51 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #2510
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
So far the RC30 is winning.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #2511
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I owned an '87 Magna 700 bought new. I sold it to get married. Not such a bright thing to do. But while I like it a lot, the best looking street bike of all time, not including limited production and custom built, would have to be the 1968 Triumph Bonneville. Second would probably be the 1969 Honda CB750K0.

I think this is the way God himself intended for a motorcycle to look

HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #2512
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post
That's a beauty!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #2513
natez1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77

This has always been what a motorcycle looks like in my mind. In fact I'm shocked when I see that my shadow on the road never reflects my minds eye!
natez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #2514
CaribooBC
life is an adventure

Oddometer: 232
The only thing close to that RC30, would be a 916 series Ducati.
CaribooBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #2515
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFanatic View Post

Yep, that is a motorcycle for sure. Nothing fake or over styled about it. That is what Honda should have built instead of the CB1100. With today's technology, it would have been easy to design and build a modern version, with new up to date technology in places where you couldn't see it, and still keep the original look intact.

While I don't like it, I have seen a lot of vintage cars with modern engines, drivetrains, brakes, suspensions, pretty much all the mechanical parts, while they were still all original on the outside. Triumph did pretty good with the new T-100, but just didn't get the lines quite right. The gas tank looks fat, the engine looks blocky, and then there is that kink in the exhaust that didn't need to be there. Kawasaki actually came a lot closer with the W650, other than the cam drive.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #2516
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That's a beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Yep, that is a motorcycle for sure. Nothing fake or over styled about it. That is what Honda should have built instead of the CB1100. With today's technology, it would have been easy to design and build a modern version, with new up to date technology in places where you couldn't see it, and still keep the original look intact.
It's a work of art to me. And JerryH, I felt the exact same way you do. I remember at 10yrs old walking 3 miles up to the Honda dealership just to look through the window at the new CB's. To me, it was like looking through a hole in the sky...straight into Heaven. Those beautiful bikes with their shiny chrome fenders, 4 big pipes jutting out of that cast inline motor, sweet wire wheels, gleaming bright paint colors, and huge green gauges looked like they were going 100mph sitting still. The manager was a nice guy and would let me come in and sit on one occasionally (as long as I would buy a bottled Coke from his machine lol). Before I left I'd always stick my head in their dumpster and grab all the one page brochures they'd throw away, then go home and plaster my bedroom walls with them.

So when I read about "Honda's return of the UJM" I was thrilled...until I saw the pictures. Why the hell didn't they stay more true to their own form that was so pure, purposeful, muscular, and clean to begin with? I was angry. Actually cursed my beloved Honda for failing the memories I had held so dear!

Then I started to read the forums. I started to see where people much younger than I were actually excited about this returning standard. They called it "retro", but just the right amount of "retro". They were digging the chrome fenders but also liked how the new tank narrowed at the seat. I remember reading one guys post where he said "I've got to own this bike! I love the lines and the motor. Plus if I squint just right, it looks kinda like my Dads old bike, without looking too much like an old guys bike!" And that kind of said it all to me.

If Honda would have copied the original more closely (regardless of how beautifully perfect it was), they would have boxed themselves in more as to who they could have sold it to. Personally, I would have mortgaged my home to own an exact copy of the original in every color (and maybe you would have too)! But there's only so many of "me's" in the market place, and I'm getting older by the day.

At least the essence is still there in this new CB. And anything that gets a new generation on a standard UJM Honda inline four is a good thing!

***Before anyone gets onto me saying "Well, Triumph has managed to do it successfully!" That's a cheaper motorcycle to produce. The parallel twin engine, simpler exhausts, and smaller dimensions immediately come to mind. If you are lucky enough to actually have ridden the early 70's CB's, they were very substantial motorcycles. No one could touch Honda's parts quality at the time. Hell, Harley wasn't even in the top 10 back then. So in order to actually please the purists (the new Bonneville's DO NOT please the purists), modern Honda would have to charge high teen's or more for what looks on the surface to be a relatively simple design. And I'm not sure that's where the market is heading in this new economy.

But for the record, I'd beg, borrow, and steal to have one in my garage
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #2517
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #2518
G 981
www.clublaverda.com

Oddometer: 56
I like Italian.
G 981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #2519
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,678
For a LONG time, I considered the Suzuki Intruder 1400 to be the best looking bike available in the USA. This is a 1991 example. I like how simple and clean it looks, and they way the did the fade between the two tone paint....

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #2520
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,093
Suddenly the room went silent...

I always find these kind of threads entertaining.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote