User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
THEHERDER OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Speed Wobble / Head shake 990 Adventure

With my side cases and top case loaded i get a wobble at about 105mph but i can feel the instability at around 95. With only the top case it's only a few mph better which leads me to believe this a weight issue not an aerodynamic(sp) issue.
With zero cases i have zero wobble.

Would a sterring dampner fix this or can I make a suspension adjustment or do I have to find another touring bike?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, hating it right now.
THEHERDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,576
Did you change the tires recently?
or anything done with the forks?
KTM 990 ADV 07 sold Member #68,893
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
THEHERDER OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Nope, the bike is brand new with less than 2,000 miles
THEHERDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Sorry I misread your 1st post.

Quote:
side cases and top case loaded i get a wobble at about 105mph but i can feel the instability at around 95

What you expected? like a Ducati???
Those boxes add Too much weight & aerodynamic drag. The front is lifting.

I wouldn't be happy to ride at that speed with bike loaded.
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
damper will mask the problem. check tire pressure, steering head and swingarm torque,axle nut torque and chain alignment and tension.

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
dsherod
El Siocho

Oddometer: 241
And you did read the part in the User Manual about not exceeding 80 mph when the bike has luggage moutned. Right?
------Rekluse (for the little creep)

dsherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
gabrielu
who's a berg?

Oddometer: 440
First of all: Dsherod, I love your avatar , now can you make it an animation ?

Re: the wobble I believe it is a fundamental problem with the 950/990s, I had the problem on the 950A, and I have it on the 950SE-

The SE I understand more: high fender, knobbies, no fairing, so it's ok if above 90 it starts to wobble, it's a good remonder to slow down. My therapy for that is either more gas, if you am still accellerating, or a minute amount of fornt brake to load the front a bit.

On the 950A there were no excuses: factory tires, correct pressure, no play in the steering head. Lots more wobble when releasing power w/no front brake. Never got used to it really, got to be a bit of a game of feeling it coming up and staying on the edge of it without letting develop it in something scary. I tried a friend's 950 and his was a little better, but still there. He had TKCs at 38 psi's , I kept my tires in the low 30s.

Does anybody run their 950/990 on full street gearing (17/42 or so) and thus be able to go in 120s? does the wobble disappear after 100?

Also, I am a big guy, 190cm (6'3''), 245lbs in the birthday suit, so I wonder if the combination of weight and wind resistance combine to change the optimal rake/trail. However more rake should promote stability up front so, I do not get it...

Would love hear the wisdom of the forum on this...

Gabriele-
Old 03-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
JohnEric
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Have you adjusted the preload to compensate for the extra weight?
JohnEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielu
First of all: Dsherod, I love your avatar , now can you make it an animation ?

Re: the wobble I believe it is a fundamental problem with the 950/990s, I had the problem on the 950A, and I have it on the 950SE-
I too love DSherod avatar.... the issue is that I can never read any of his posts

NOTE:
Quote:
THEHERDER: With zero cases i have zero wobble.
I have stock - No vibration at all.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
dsherod
El Siocho

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi
I too love DSherod avatar.... the issue is that I can never read any of his posts

NOTE:

I have stock - No vibration at all.
What? Why not? Distracted, maybe?

Oh, and with respect to the avatar, new model, no vibration there either
------Rekluse (for the little creep)

dsherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHERDER
With my side cases and top case loaded i get a wobble at about 105mph but i can feel the instability at around 95. With only the top case it's only a few mph better which leads me to believe this a weight issue not an aerodynamic(sp) issue.
This sort of problem is pretty common on bikes fitted with topboxs (not just KTM's) - the extra weight behind the rear axle and the aerodynomic drag have the effect of unweighting the front end, making the bike unstable.
You could try winding up the rear preload, dropping the forks in the yokes be 5-10mm, or just slowing down

The deceleration wobble that Gabriele is experiencing was discussed at length a while back - it's probably a front tyre issue. The first 2 scorpions I had fitted to my 950 caused the problem - getting worse as the tyre got worn, or with luggage on. The tyre I'm running at the moment is fine.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Rear springload

Best bet, other than just exceeding the design capabilities, is the rear spring load needs to be jacked up.

I'd make sure that all of my base settings are correct, SAG front and rear etc. If you run all (most of) the time with the bags loaded, you are traveling, then set it up as such. If you take them on and off and they are well loaded then you will probably have to adjust at least the rear every time you load up.
BUT you could try and setting up your unloaded sag to as little as possible within the recommended range.
Also these bikes are supposedly sprung lightly on the front from the factory so that is something that you sould probaby take care of as well. If you are a big guy and with the bike loaded may have to respring the rear also.

Obviously a damper will help although it is sort of a masking the problem, a help nonetheless. I'd get the damper but I'd get my suspension dialed in first.

Also are you packing heavy stuff on the bottom and in the bags and lightweight in the top case??
www.moto-loco.com

motolocopat screwed with this post 03-09-2008 at 10:40 AM
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsherod
The one place some headshake would be welcome

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsherod
What? Why not? Distracted, maybe?

uhmmmm? excuse me what did you said?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
boyd32450
Dirt Newbie

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHERDER
With zero cases i have zero wobble.

Would a sterring dampner fix this or can I make a suspension adjustment or do I have to find another touring bike?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer, hating it right now.
Well I haven't had my 990 very long but I have a HB aluminum topcase and I have gone 100 plus in short spurts just having fun and have found no instability but it wasn't carrying over 10 llbs. My suggestion is test them empty and loaded and see what happens. I have to ask ........ did you own beemers before you got your 990?? Maybe its me but I can't see why you would want to ride that fast on a bike made to run offroad in a rally situation. My guess is that you are too heavy in the bags, but you would have to test it to make sure.

Oh and about the beemer comment ...it wasn't meant to be mean I used to ride with another beemer when I still had my R-80RT and he had 2 speeds .....parked and the speed limit X2
Boyd Reeder DoD #115
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't."
- Ben Franklin
2013 URAL Gear Up, "Forest Fog"OLGA
boyd32450 is offline   Reply With Quote