Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Bodhos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
How easy is it to to remove 'gear-up' sidecar?

I would love to get a Ural, I love the look of them and the concept of a sidecar has me hooked..But before I decided on pitching out the money that would otherwise go toward a 800gs this fall, I wanted to know how easy is it to romove the side car from the 'gear up' model.

I would most likley have it on 90% of the time, but incase I just wanted to cruise around without it or not get hop ons I was wondering if its a pain or not..
Bodhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Tomas LeChat
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhos
I would love to get a Ural, I love the look of them and the concept of a sidecar has me hooked..But before I decided on pitching out the money that would otherwise go toward a 800gs this fall, I wanted to know how easy is it to remove the side car from the 'gear up' model.

I would most likley have it on 90% of the time, but incase I just wanted to cruise around without it or not get hop ons I was wondering if its a pain or not..
I believe you'll find that neither is it hard to remove nor practical to do so. The bike is specifically designed to ride with the car attached and the general rule of thumb is that once a bike has had the steering geometry changed for sidecar use it's no longer practical to try riding it solo. The Retro model can be ridden solo once the car is detached but then too the Retro has a lot of other features that other models of Ural do not share.
Tomas LeChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Bodhos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas LeChat
I believe you'll find that neither is it hard to remove nor practical to do so. The bike is specifically designed to ride with the car attached and the general rule of thumb is that once a bike has had the steering geometry changed for sidecar use it's no longer practical to try riding it solo. The Retro model can be ridden solo once the car is detached but then too the Retro has a lot of other features that other models of Ural do not share.

So should I just avoid narrow trails all together with it?
Bodhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
It's not that easy, I don't think.

But the leading links of the GearUp will not allow you to ride it "normally" like a two-wheelie.

I vote for just avoiding the narrow trails!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
TonCat pretty much got it. But you can ride it without the chair. It won't be the best handling bike out there, but it will do. But it will be heavy, clunky, and difficult to corner more from the square tires than from the leading link forks.

But not that hard to take off. Just a real pain to reinstall.
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
You could always look around for a Troyka. Better on the trails than a Retro, and can be ridden solo.
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
R71
From central NH

Oddometer: 137
I have a Chang Jiang 750 and it takes about 15 minutes to dismount the chair, it only has four attachment points which consist of two ball and claw mounts and two tuning fork type mounts. I took the bolts out of mine and used a couple of clevis pins. The Chang have a normal set of forks so I do not have any experience with the leading link suspension of the gear up. I saw thread on a Ural forum where a guy said he rides his Tourist without the chair and he says it handles fine.

I am not sure what you would do about the drive for the sidecar wheel as I am not familiar with how that is connected and how easy it is to disconnect.

I am thinking about getting a G/U this year and plan on trying it without the chair if I do. The ural street tires look like they have a pretty rounded profile at least when new anyway, so they shouldn't be a problem.

Somebody with a G/U should try it and give us a ride report! you know your curious about it!

Dan

R71 screwed with this post 03-09-2008 at 09:53 AM
R71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
There's just very little point, as everyone said. Yes, your tires will be round initially, but after a thousand KM any notion of symmetry will be gone from them.

I am one of the few people who drove around without a chair with the LL forks and triangular tires and didn't feel completely terrified. But it is a bit queer. These bikes don't have a lot of suspension travel, and what there is, isn't particularly progressive. The front-end lifts on braking (instead of diving).

On the Sportsman, taking off the sidecar is impossible, since I would have to block up the output to the sidecar (it's a full-time 2WD). It's also something you have to safety wire when you put it back together or you might have a bad time. On the Patrol, the shaft is rarely actually spinning, so it might be easier to deal with the ramifications.

Bottom line, if the idea of being able to ride it solo makes you want to buy a Ural, you probably won't regret the purchase when you find yourself never doing that.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhos
So should I just avoid narrow trails all together with it?
Yes.

The Gear Up is slightly narrower than the standard ATV. I found I could not get it through the barriers on our ATV trails.

Get a small, cheap trail bike for single track and use the Gear Up on jeep trails and dirt roads.