Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #151
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
Nope, leans just fine!
Sorry, missed the part where you added the 2 inches.
Very professionally made, looks like the real thing. HPN also make this for the Adventure and Sport models.
Dustdevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #152
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Importance of a sidestand

I feel the need to explain: I have found the sidestand to be very important on my travel especially when the luggage was too high to swing my leg over to unmount. In those case the sidestand has proven very valuable in order not to drop a loaded bike. I am no longer 35 and my flexibility is not what it was. So although I am tall and can swing the leg over a 35kg duffle, a tent and a sleeping bag behind me, I prefer the safety of a sturdy sidestand where form follows functions. If that causes some other minor inconveniences in other areas so be it. But it didn't. The wider shift lever with the roller is great in conjunction with the lowered footpegs and the sidestand. I don't do steep inclines very much so standing position is not my highest priority. I'd rather do 80mph on gravel!

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #153
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Quote:
I feel the need to explain: I have found the sidestand to be very important on my travel especially when the luggage was too high to swing my leg over to unmount. In those case the sidestand has proven very valuable in order not to drop a loaded bike. I am no longer 35 and my flexibility is not what it was. So although I am tall and can swing the leg over a 35kg duffle, a tent and a sleeping bag behind me, I prefer the safety of a sturdy sidestand where form follows functions. If that causes some other minor inconveniences in other areas so be it. But it didn't. The wider shift lever with the roller is great in conjunction with the lowered footpegs and the sidestand. I don't do steep inclines very much so standing position is not my highest priority. I'd rather do 80mph on gravel!
The problem is not your side stand but rather the Touratech foot-pegs and shorter shift-lever.
I found a set of brackets that lower the foot-pegs with 2 Inches directly in line with the foot-peg position. I have found this setup to be perfect for sitting and standing except that the heel of my boot touches the exhaust. It does not interfere with the shifting. I will post a picture of these brackets soon.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #154
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

I like the fact that the footpegs move forward AND downward by about 1.25in: relaxes the angle between my thigh and lower leg to nearly 90deg.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #155
mgman269
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
wonder brackets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevill
The problem is not your side stand but rather the Touratech foot-pegs and shorter shift-lever.
I found a set of brackets that lower the foot-pegs with 2 Inches directly in line with the foot-peg position. I have found this setup to be perfect for sitting and standing except that the heel of my boot touches the exhaust. It does not interfere with the shifting. I will post a picture of these brackets soon.
Can you tell us more about those brackets? Do you know if they are available in the USA? I think I may need a set.
mgman269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #156
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,499
Quote:
I like the fact that the footpegs move forward AND downward by about 1.25in: relaxes the angle between my thigh and lower leg to nearly 90deg.

let me get this straight- these actually LOWER the pegs?
Thats awesome. Wasnt the common knowledge that there was nothing commercially available to actually Lower the pegs?

I have been thinking, and have basically determined that I need to raise both the bars and the seat height in order to feel right standing and sitting. However the added bar height really messes with the ability to whack it in corners for me.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #157
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Jason,

When I was working for CTI 2-3yrs ago I offered these lower pegs in NA, search for CTI Fahrzeugtechnik in the vendor forum. CTI sold their business to Boxer Toko in NL. TT and some other companies in Europe had lowered pegs in their portfolio for the longest time ... Lowered pegs and 36in seat height on my G/S made all the difference. Boxer Toko now sells under bmwboxersupplies.com.

(no affiliation)

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #158
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,499
Quote:
Jason,

When I was working for CTI 2-3yrs ago I offered these lower pegs in NA, search for CTI Fahrzeugtechnik in the vendor forum. CTI sold their business to Boxer Toko in NL. TT and some other companies in Europe had lowered pegs in their portfolio for the longest time ... Lowered pegs and 36in seat height on my G/S made all the difference. Boxer Toko now sells under bmwboxersupplies.com.

(no affiliation)
Thats very interesting.. I dont know how I got that in my head. There isnt any real difference between the GS and the G/S footpeg brackets, is there?

I could have sworn TT's didnt actually lower the pegs, or lowered them insubstantially. I'm only 5'9, but still am not standing correctly with the current fastways/handlbar setup.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #159
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
There isnt any real difference between the GS and the G/S footpeg brackets, is there?
Not only is that true, the R11xxGS's use the same pegs as well

Quote:
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #160
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Quote:
There isnt any real difference between the GS and the G/S footpeg brackets, is there?
There is, but not in the actual footpeg dimensions. The footpeg need the GS footpeg spring to work right. You can make them work with the G/S springs but then, they don't retract correctly. Was never a problem ... the springs can be bent back when the inevitable happens . I do believe the footpeg brackets are identical between the GS and the G/S.

I am pretty sure all currently offered lowered foot pegs models are for the GS where you re-use the existing springs and it all works right out the box. That IS definitely the case with the Boxer Toko ones.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 06-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #161
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Courtesy of smithy1 (Shawn in PA):

another shift linkage and footpeg idea for G(/)S:

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #162
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Quote:
The 5cm dropped straight down relaxes my legs with more than a 90 deg angle. In fact I made a comparison of the foot-peg to seat-hight distance of the HP2 and it is within the centimeter almost exactly the same. The HP2 has the most relaxed leg position of all the BMW's.
I have been riding this machine lately on a few trips and it is fitted with the TT lowering kit. Although I much appreciated it's better positioning than the stock items I was having a lot of trouble shifting up especially when standing. The result was that I ended up in false neutrals sometimes and when on some tricky technical sections or deep sand it is not much fun when you twist the throttle expecting the back-end to erupt and nothing happens.

On this model I have the 5cm lowering bracket that makes use of the standard or wider foot-peg of your choice. When standing I feel so much more in control from this much lower position.

Looking at the following image; it is clear that the sitting and standing position of the GS with standard bar and foot-peg position is very compromising.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #163
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgman269
Can you tell us more about those brackets? Do you know if they are available in the USA? I think I may need a set.
I have been searching high and low for them but have finally decided to take them to an engineering shop, PSP, specializing in making all sorts of special stuff for motorcycles.
We used the basic design and came up with our own version. I am shooting some pics and will post those here. They will be available on the vendor section for sale with all details.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #164
Dustdevill
Adventurer

This is what the PSP bracket looks like...

I will post another image with the bracket fitted to a bike in due time.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #165
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,336
Tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevill
This is what the PSP bracket looks like...

I will post another image with the bracket fitted to a bike in due time.

Quote:
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote