User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #46
cenji OP
out4fun

Oddometer: 169
Tesch replaces Plastic BMW cases

So where are we with this idea of establishing a dedicated G/S thread with sticky?
Who is deciding on the sticky?
Who implements it?
How does one add existing threads to this dedicated G/S page?
I am willing to do it if someone explains me how.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #47
cenji OP
out4fun

Oddometer: 169
headlight protector lexan

Anybody that sourced a lexan protective shield for headlamp, like they offer for the oilheads? Or the old style with metal?
how did you attach or mount them?

Checked in Touratech catalog to see if they are offering a replacement that moves up the rear brakelever on final drive. Anybody has done it and knows what is involved in the change?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #48
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,686
Mr. Cob did a "do it yourself" version or the brake repositioning... I remember seeing pix in his smugmug account a while ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #49
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
There is no brake cam from another model available that does that trick (rear brake lever mod) for the G/S or any monolever finaldrive. Different on the paralever where you just need the 91-95 brake setup (shoes and brake cam) and the high double offset brake lever (BMW part no. 35 21 1 230 308, used on all /5/6/7 until 1984).

I am digressing, sorry: I just have the brake cam of the monolever finaldrive modified, another one of these nice little gimmicks, will post pictures when done, probably next week ...

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net

StephenB screwed with this post 03-15-2008 at 06:02 AM
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #50
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,414
Quote:
GString as opposed to GSpot is still a pretty good idea
GSpots no good. We'd never find it
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #51
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
GSpots no good. We'd never find it
Old 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #52
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
funny!

I can't find it again, but I sent Putts a link to someone who has the real R80G/S telescopic fork repair manual on-line as a download.... he should post that link here, or I will look for it.
Here you go:

http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/~petrie/...rontXForks.pdf
Old 03-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #53
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,314
Ok guys, I have a question. Maybe a couple. What are you guys looking for in terms of hard to find parts? Specifically plastic parts or parts that can be made from plastic? The reason I ask is that I'm taking a business class and one of my projects is actually what you guys are discussing. My area of expertise is fiberglass and I'm doing a feasability study for the small scale production of hard to find older motorcycle parts. My notion is to make parts that might have small production runs and limited appeal. That seems right up this group's alley. 10 gallon gas tanks, custom mudguards, side panels, stuff like that. So, can you guys help me out? What would you want? How much would you pay? My instructor says I need at least 40 replies. Can you PM me? If this is viable, I may consider actual production. I can share some of my ideas offline if any of you want them. There has been much talk of $400 tanks lately. That seems like a lot. If any of you are really interested in tanks, I have some ideas that I think can circumvent that price point.
Just to qualify myself, I'm not a troll trying to steal your money. I'm just trying to do a feasability study for a class. However, like I said, I'm also doing this with an eye to actually implementing it if I think it is worth it. So, what kind of pain can I resolve. I would love to hear ideas for parts.

Thanks, Dan
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #54
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts

I've got the whole factory workshop manual that that came from. I can scan it a section of a time if anybody is interested.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #55
shinysideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Help with GSPD Bulb

Can anyone tell me an "easy" way to get to the dash bulb that illuminates the speedo and tach on a airhead GSPD? I have cut the crap out of my hands, and can't get at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
I've got the whole factory workshop manual that that came from. I can scan it a section of a time if anybody is interested.
shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #56
shinysideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Brake Lever Offset

Yes they do sell one and it mobes the pivot point so that the linkage comes down from the top of the drive instead of up from the bottom. My only grip is that the instructions are in German only, no diagram and I had to "figure it out"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenji
Anybody that sourced a lexan protective shield for headlamp, like they offer for the oilheads? Or the old style with metal?
how did you attach or mount them?

Checked in Touratech catalog to see if they are offering a replacement that moves up the rear brakelever on final drive. Anybody has done it and knows what is involved in the change?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #57
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysideup
Can anyone tell me an "easy" way to get to the dash bulb that illuminates the speedo and tach on a airhead GSPD? I have cut the crap out of my hands, and can't get at it.
Pull off the side fairing(s) by removing the turnsignal, ts stalk, windhshield and the two mounts that thread into the sidefairings, the center allen bolt below the headlight, the allen next to that and the single small one inside the side fairing..... then you can reach in there and remove the two white knurled plastic nuts that hold the speedo and tach retainers in their places, remove the retainers, and pull up on the speed and tach to remove...

make sure to do all of the idiot lights while you are in there as well, and check the bottom "foot" of the plastic headlight support as the do crack and give way...

Quote:
Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #58
shinysideup
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh Of Course!

So two hours in and out to replace the bulb eh? (At east for me) Oh well, it's raining anyway. Thanks Solo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Pull off the side fairing(s) by removing the turnsignal, ts stalk, windhshield and the two mounts that thread into the sidefairings, the center allen bolt below the headlight, the allen next to that and the single small one inside the side fairing..... then you can reach in there and remove the two white knurled plastic nuts that hold the speedo and tach retainers in their places, remove the retainers, and pull up on the speed and tach to remove...

make sure to do all of the idiot lights while you are in there as well, and check the bottom "foot" of the plastic headlight support as the do crack and give way...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #59
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysideup
So two hours in and out to replace the bulb eh? (At east for me) Oh well, it's raining anyway. Thanks Solo!
It's only two hours the first time.... look at the bright side

Quote:
Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 AM   #60
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

I've seen a couple of posts mentioning cartridge emulators for the G/s. I'm looking to start rebuilding my Monos front end over the next few weeks, I was going to ship the forks off to Maxton racing for re valving. The emulators may be another option though. Have you got a link to the supplier or any other info?