Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #106
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
Yah, mines an 86. Built 10/85 and right in the danger zone.
Sheesh, it was bad enough worrying about the $39 KLR doohickey.

Maybe I'll get that 5th "overdrive" gear put in this winter when I have the circlip done

Think I'll go for a ride.
later...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 AM   #107
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Sorr, in french...
but a lot of pics avverts prototypes etc

http://bmenduro.free.fr/
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #108
DucatiPete
In denial

Oddometer: 162
Does anyone know where I can get an acerbis rear guard (fender) for my g/s?

I can vaguely remember seeing a (shop) site with them offered in a catalogue but don't know where that was/is...

I'm on OZ so it's better for me if it can be ordered online.

thnx
1973 R75/5 - Black Beauty - love @ 1st ride
1972 Ducati Sport - must look at the 'ol girl again soon
DucatiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #109
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiPete
Does anyone know where I can get an acerbis rear guard (fender) for my g/s?

I can vaguely remember seeing a (shop) site with them offered in a catalogue but don't know where that was/is...

I'm on OZ so it's better for me if it can be ordered online.

thnx
Is that the Acerbis "baja" rear fender?

http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/product_in...ducts_id=10941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #110
cenji OP
out4fun

Oddometer: 169
been a while, but back on topic with new questions

Last half a year was struggle to get everything under one helmet, so I opted to lay low and to reemerge with contributing to this thread now. Insurance was just purchased and I am looking at my bike. Pictures to follow.I'd appreciate if someone can fill me in how to sign-up for smug mug?, and what costs are.

Current questions:
Looking for a new way to attach the sidestand. Previous owner has one that is welded to the left crashbar which moves the pivotpoint not only too far forward, but makes it difficult to get it all the way out when sitting on the bike. SO what have you done ? What seems to be functional, meaning holding up a bike that is packed to the brim for two -up riding.WHere can one purchase your sidestand-version, what are cost and how/where is it attached to the bike.Schneider is out of business, boxxerworks version for $250 shipped seems to be too
expensive.
I am aware of dougs thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...estand+options
THey all mount at original point.I saw but can't find a version that is attached behind the shifter and if I remember correctly behind foot-peg.
Your help , as always, is appreciated. Safe and good riding season to all.
Cenji
Attached Images

cenji screwed with this post 04-21-2009 at 01:44 PM
cenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #111
cenji OP
out4fun

sidestand options for G/S +front turnsignal to be moved

Was wondering if someone has relocated the front turn-signals on a G/S, they are in the way for larger tank and tank panniers. Suggestions are appreciated, what have you done that works and didn't work? Pics to show modification would be great. Homemade solutions preferred to keep it simple and inexpensive.If there is an after-market option, please include price and where you ordered it. Thanks for sharing your solutions.

For sidestand -questions see previous reply 109.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #112
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
(GS downgrades or G/S upgrades, does it matter?)

It isn't completely finished yet, couple of things here and there, but this is what I have been working on for the last 2 years. It can be considered a heavily mod'ed G/S or a downgraded R100GS (which is what I had in mind):

(Click for higher resolution)

Featuring
  • 1990 BMW New Zealand R80GS Frame, legally registered in Ontario, Canada
  • 985cc rebuilt engine with '77 R100S pistons+barrels (A-bore), 1980 R100CS big valve dual-plugged heads, 1983 R80RT bottom end
  • Overhauled 40mm Bings, SLS system removed, jetted with160 main jets, 2.66 needle jets (new needles 3rd notch) and 45 idle (initial setting)
  • Low mileage stainless steel R100R exhaust system, de-"chromed" and weight relieved, seems to work very well with the rest of the engine
  • OMEGA Electronic Ignition with two dual tower Dynatek high-energy ignition coils (backup: points-in-beancan ignition with 2.8Ohm HD dual coils)
  • 450W voltage regulator/rectifier combo (backup: BMW stock components)
  • remanufactured 280W altermator stator and new rotor (Rick Jones) (backup: known good spares)
  • 1982 G/S gearbox, completely rebuilt and modified with a complete set of late design 17.5 Helical gears, mod'ed with a long 5th (HPN)
  • 1987 R80RT monolever 37/11 4-lug final drive
  • Monolever swingarm with 1 1/4 in extension
  • EXCEL tube-type rims 21x1.85 and 17x2.50 super-laced to refurished, low mileage 1993 GS front and rear hubs with extrastrong stainless steel spokes/nipples (Woody's Wheelworks)
  • Stock 1989 GS Marcocchi 40mm forks with RaceTech Gold Valve
  • CC Products fork brace from SJBMW
  • New Ohlins Rear Shock, setup for 220lbs and 1 1/4 in swingarm extension
  • Brake modification to a 4-piston Brembo caliper (1999 BMW K1200S) with 13mm m/c and Spiegler SS brakeline
  • Large single beam 9" Clearglas Chrome Headlight with Xenon HID conversion (triples light output)
  • Trailtech Vapor Motorcycle computer with digital voltmeter
  • BMW Speedster windscreen
  • Hyperlite Flashing Brake Light
  • original GS Krauser luggage racks for equal size bags
  • GS soloseat and rack (or Corbin Gunfighter alternatively)
Where is it going to go? This year it will be gravelracing (sorry: off-roading) in CO, NM, TX and OK and it will go to Alaska within the next 3-4 years.

Click here for "The Making of ...": http://www.stephenbottcher.net/BMW/R100ST_2.htm
Changes after the first season (it became a G/S with a GS frontend):
  • From 450W Voltage regulator/rectifier combo back to stock diodeboard and voltage regulator (backup: known good spare)
  • From 37:11 to 32/10 final drive (lower rpm and hopefully improved mileage for this years riding season, mostly street)
  • From rear 17in EXCEL to BMW tubeless X-lace 2.50x18 rim (stock R100R front), super-laced (Woody's Wheelworks).
  • and a not so dented tank ;-)

Currently setup for gravel with a 21" Pirelli Scorpion upfront and a Kenda 270 (4.50x18) (50/50) on the rear.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #113
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
$250 for the sidestand from Boxerworks is spendy, but man it's worth it. I've got it on my G/S since my stocker broke Found my bike upside down laying half in the street. I'll try to post up some pics.

what tank is that?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #114
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

I have replicated the R100R sidestand to fit my bike, it attaches to the front engine mounting bolt, not the crashbar. I'll post pictures when it's finally done.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #115
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
[QUOTE=StephenB][*]From 37:11 to 32/10 final drive (lower rpm and hopefully improved mileage for this years riding season, mostly street)

I'm confused. I thought there was no such thing as a 32/10 3 lug? I know one person that has it , but i know he paid a lot for it from germany, and I was told that this isn't something that was ever readily available. please educate me stephen.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #116
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
StephenB is so cool that he has FOUR lugs on his G/S. Check the sideways pic where you can see his hub. Now go to his website and see what it took to make that thing--you'll feel better about how much work you've done on your ST

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #117
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

[quote=hardwaregrrl]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
[*]From 37:11 to 32/10 final drive (lower rpm and hopefully improved mileage for this years riding season, mostly street)

I'm confused. I thought there was no such thing as a 32/10 3 lug? I know one person that has it , but i know he paid a lot for it from germany, and I was told that this isn't something that was ever readily available. please educate me stephen.
Bgoodsoil is right: I used the 4-lug monolever final drive as a basis for my monolever G/S. That provides me with 3 choices of final drive ratios: 37:11 (R80RT Monolever), 32:10 (nekkid R80 Monolever) and 33:11 (R100RT Monolever). Needless to say, I have all three!

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net

StephenB screwed with this post 05-30-2009 at 07:00 PM
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #118
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
The R80ST was available with a 3-lug 32:10 final drive (part no. 33 11 2 302 422) ... most likely not in NA.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #119
cenji OP
out4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
$250 for the sidestand from Boxerworks is spendy, but man it's worth it. I've got it on my G/S since my stocker broke Found my bike upside down laying half in the street. I'll try to post up some pics.

what tank is that?
Tank is homemade, 'cause I had a lot of time on my hand, I needed the extra mileage capacity (8 gallons),didn't feel like paying $800 +for PD tank or aftermarket version,....

Looking forward to the side-stand options.

How about front- turnsignal mods??
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #120
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,787
I'm always impressed by homemade stuff like that. Did you make it, cenjii? How?