ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
fllafl OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Shipping a Bike

Hi All --

Hoping for some advice.

Found a bike and setup that I really like. Problem is it is ~11 hours away. If gas money and time weren't a problem, I'd drive down to look at it and if everything is as it appears would buy it on the spot.

Wanted to explore possibly shipping the bike:

- Can anyone recommend a shipping company (going from WV to Northern Illinois/Southern WI. I could go down to Chicago if that would make things easier).

- Has anyone ever bought a used bike unseen (other than pictures)? The bike is only a year old (2007) and the seller has sent me a copy of the title as well as pictures of the odometer reading. Anything else I should ask for?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
fllafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
kz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Uship

You can try www.uship.com If you go to the motorcycle section, there is a box where you can get an estimate to ship you bike.
kz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
try federal freight. they have a site and give reasonable quotes
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
dabracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Try ForwardAir.com
dabracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
TVtommy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I've used Haulbikes.com

Good firm...
Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
sperkins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
hey you should probably check with the seller and see if they have sold anything else before, without the buyer seeing the item in person ,just so that you will know.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
You might want to ask if anyone who lives nearby can go and see the bike for you.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
CapoGreg
Felonious Helmet Cam

Oddometer: 614
Where in WV is the bike located?

2006 Aprilia Caponord "L'Altra Donna"
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S "Bear"
1978 Yamaha DT 125E "Pig Pen"
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Kawasaki Mule 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzirider
The GS is, on paper, a better bike, but I don't buy bikes made of paper.
Save $5 on SmugMug account with code: L4im8C7MUjvgQ
CapoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1
You can try www.uship.com If you go to the motorcycle section, there is a box where you can get an estimate to ship you bike.
+ 1 I've used them before and would reccomend them. Works kinda like fleabay, you can checkout the shippers feedback.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,454
Go over to KTMtalk.com and search for "ship a bike." Lots of guys buy bikes and have them shipped over there. Forward Air is a popular choice. If you can, you might see if an inmate can check the bike out for you. If not, see if you can have the seller bring the bike to a dealer and have the dealer check it out. You will probably have to pay the dealer, but it would be worth it. If it checks out at the dealer, they could probably also prepare the bike for shipping.

Good luck

Tom B
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
my 2 cents

i believe most people are good people who aren't out there trying to screw you. that being said, i'd never buy a bike like this again.

i bought an airhead without seeing it and then paid a lot of money to have it shipped, and it was the worst money i've ever spent. buying a modern bike site unseen makes a little more sense though. i'd still never do it because of my experience.

before my dad turned 60, i wanted to do something really great for him for his birthday. i tracked down his first bike (a bmw r75/6) to a barn in new hampshire. the guy that bought it from my pops rode it up there, parked it, and told me he's been riding it every summer since. he claimed it was in perfect running order, with a few paint imperfections. overall, he called it an '8'. i told him why i wanted to buy it, and he gave me a "good deal".

by the way, he knows my dad and is the brother in law of a family friend. he lives 2 miles from my house. i figured there's no way this guy would screw me, right? by the time i had it shipped down, i was in the hole $2500 which is a lot of jack for a college student.

the former owner, for some reason took the spark plugs out years ago, and never filled the holes with anything. there's no way on earth he had been riding the bike because the cylinder heads and walls had rusted together, so the engine had seized. not sure why there was no oil in it.

the rust was so bad, i couldn't even read the vin number off the neck to get a salvage title. the entire bike was thrown out like a piece of garbage. it broke my heart, and my dad's too.

you can imagine how the coversation went. "hey dad, remember your first bike, the one you talk about all the time? the one you say you wished you never gave up? the good news is that i now own it. yeah, crazy huh? well, the bad news is that we have to go pick it up and take it ot the scrap yard. i hope its the thought that counts, happy 60th pops."

what i'm trying to say is this: i'm sure you probably won't have a problem. i'm sure many people have done this without an issue. do i think buying a plane ticket to pick it up, or buying one closer is a better idea? absolutely. i'll never do it the same way again. flying there would have been the best insurance policy i ever bought.

NativeSon screwed with this post 03-10-2008 at 06:01 PM
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,363
Daily Direct

I've sold two bikes that were shipped......one to Ca and another, just two weeks ago, to Ct. Both times I've used Daily Direct, who is HQ'd in the Milwaukee area. Both times everything went fine. My dealer uses them all them all the time to ship bikes he has sold on E-bay....never a problem.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
I just had a very positive uship.com experience. There are some good folks out there moving bikes around for some really great prices. The auction w/feedback model seems to work well and third-party insurance is inexpensive.
David_Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_motorrad
i believe most people are good people who aren't out there trying to screw you. that being said, i'd never buy a bike like this again.

i bought an airhead without seeing it and then paid a lot of money to have it shipped, and it was the worst money i've ever spent. buying a modern bike site unseen makes a little more sense though. i'd still never do it because of my experience.

before my dad turned 60, i wanted to do something really great for him for his birthday. i tracked down his first bike (a bmw r75/6) to a barn in new hampshire. the guy that bought it from my pops rode it up there, parked it, and told me he's been riding it every summer since. he claimed it was in perfect running order, with a few paint imperfections. overall, he called it an '8'. i told him why i wanted to buy it, and he gave me a "good deal".

by the way, he knows my dad and is the brother in law of a family friend. he lives 2 miles from my house. i figured there's no way this guy would screw me, right? by the time i had it shipped down, i was in the hole $2500 which is a lot of jack for a college student.

the former owner, for some reason took the spark plugs out years ago, and never filled the holes with anything. there's no way on earth he had been riding the bike because the cylinder heads and walls had rusted together, so the engine had seized. not sure why there was no oil in it.

the rust was so bad, i couldn't even read the vin number off the neck to get a salvage title. the entire bike was thrown out like a piece of garbage. it broke my heart, and my dad's too.

you can imagine how the coversation went. "hey dad, remember your first bike, the one you talk about all the time? the one you say you wished you never gave up? the good news is that i now own it. yeah, crazy huh? well, the bad news is that we have to go pick it up and take it ot the scrap yard. i hope its the thought that counts, happy 60th pops."

what i'm trying to say is this: i'm sure you probably won't have a problem. i'm sure many people have done this without an issue. do i think buying a plane ticket to pick it up, or buying one closer is a better idea? absolutely. i'll never do it the same way again. flying there would have been the best insurance policy i ever bought.
Wow...Ouch, man! Sorry to hear that.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_motorrad

Hope you at least sued his ass in small claims court.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote