Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #106
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,985
Two IT 400s just popped up on the Grand Rapids Mich Craigslist. Been sitting for years, one of them only has 200 miles. Sad........If I wasn't the exoff roadgoat I would snap them up.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #107
FJ_Kevin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
The mighty IT490. Guaranteed to move you!

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #108
FJ_Kevin
Gnarly Adventurer

My 490...

Here is my brute! It's street legal and runs fantastic!

Me pretending I am 17 ...

Unfortunately, it only takes 10 minutes or so of this before I feel 51 again !

At least it only spit me off twice today !

Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #109
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post
Here is my brute! It's street legal and runs fantastic!

Me pretending I am 17 ...

Unfortunately, it only takes 10 minutes or so of this before I feel 51 again !

At least it only spit me off twice today !
Wow, Nice IT. I ride a TT 600. Do, you know about the movie the IT 490VS TT600? Just look up IT 490 VS TT 600 on U-Tube. Why the 2 tool bags? Ones for spark-plugs??? . BIG ED XT&TT 600 Fan!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #110
FJ_Kevin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Wow, Nice IT. I ride a TT 600. Do, you know about the movie the IT 490VS TT600? Just look up IT 490 VS TT 600 on U-Tube. Why the 2 tool bags? Ones for spark-plugs??? . BIG ED XT&TT 600 Fan!!

Hi Ed,

I saw that match up some time ago. I seem to remember the IT coming up on top... is that right ? It is a very cool video, those guys really went at it as I recall!

The extra tool bag was to cover up holes in the fender the previous owner drilled to mount a license plate. This allowed me to retain the original fender which is no longer available from Yamaha. I got both bags off ebay. They are pretty nice and very reasonably priced. The big bag holds my tools while the smaller bag holds my registration and insurance papers and sometimes a cell phone.

Now, I have to tell you, my bike is well jetted and does not foul plugs. It even starts easy and does not ping. Haha, nor has it ever dropped a valve !

I admit though that, although heavy and rather under powered , I like the TT600 too . Do you have a pic of yours posted somewhere?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #111
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 731
I did 2500 miles on my IT490. never fouled a single plug despite running it out of oil at the end of those 2500 miles and burning up a bearing.

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #112
e28rusty
Fool

Oddometer: 70
I just picked up a klr250 with an it465 motor in it, and have been blasting on it all week. I pulled it apart to replace the kickstart spring and when I got it back together the shaft feels like it's binding/scraping on something.. Does anyone know where I screwed up? I tried 3 times tonight with the same results. Is there a trick I don't know?
I did pull the gear out but I think I got it lined back up, the starter seems to work except it binds and still doesn't return on its own.

e28rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #113
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,336
Holy hell, that is not a hybrid I would have thought of

Sorry. I know you were looking for help, but couldn't help it
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #114
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Right-side engine case

I recently got ahold of a '82 IT465 that's really a diamond in the rough. It appears that early in the bike's life someone advanced the ignition timing too far and lunched the piston, then just parked the bike. I'm pretty excited to get it back on the road, but the right-side engine case has some damage to the kickstarter area. It looks like someone must have dropped it on the kicker shaft and knocked the whole assembly out of the boss on the engine case. They JB Welded up the hole and kept using it causing more damage to the case. I might be able to repair it, but I thought that I'd check to see if anyone here had an extra that they might sell me. The same case is used for all years IT and YZ 465, and the '82 YZ490. I just need the right side. I checked Ebay and there's nothing.
I'd really like to get this machine back together, so I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #115
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Cush-drive rear hub

Hey Subzero, am I correct in thinking that I see a cush-drive rear wheel on your street IT? If so, what bike is it from and did you have to do any mods to make it work? It looks like the unit from an XT500, which is what I was planning on putting on my IT465 that will see some road miles. I haven't really looked too closely at it yet, but I'm hoping it's a simple swap. Care to shed any light?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #116
FJ_Kevin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
I recently got ahold of a '82 IT465 that's really a diamond in the rough. It appears that early in the bike's life someone advanced the ignition timing too far and lunched the piston, then just parked the bike. I'm pretty excited to get it back on the road, but the right-side engine case has some damage to the kickstarter area. It looks like someone must have dropped it on the kicker shaft and knocked the whole assembly out of the boss on the engine case. They JB Welded up the hole and kept using it causing more damage to the case. I might be able to repair it, but I thought that I'd check to see if anyone here had an extra that they might sell me. The same case is used for all years IT and YZ 465, and the '82 YZ490. I just need the right side. I checked Ebay and there's nothing.
I'd really like to get this machine back together, so I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

Can you post a picture of the damaged area?

Also, if you replace the case, I would consider replacing both right and left side so there is no chance of mis-match in the machined base gasket area or crank bearing alignment (in theory Yamaha allowed replacement of one side only though). And if you are willing to replace both sides you can then use any set of 490 cases. I used a set of 85 490 cases on my 465. It requires use of the later clutch pressure plate and clutch arm but other than that works just fine.

I would keep looking on ebay as I see them fairly often and usually at reasonable prices.

That is a fine bike you have there and well worth repairing!

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.

Kevin

Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #117
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the advice on the possibility of using the later 490 cases. That will certainly make things easier if I can't get my case repaired to my satisfaction. I'm learning that damage in this area of the case is a common problem on this bikes. Here's some pictures of the damage. The first picture shows the epoxy repair as I got it and the last picture shows the area under the epoxy after I took it off. I understand that the kicker shaft was prone to breaking the stopper part off, but my kicker shaft doesn't show any damage. It looks like the stopper broke through the case, though. I'm not sure what that area of the case is supposed to look like, but it seems doubtful to me that whatever is supposed to be there to stop the kicker at the bottom of its stroke would be strong enough to do the job.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could repair this? I could obviously have the cracked section that was epoxied welded up for a more permanent repair, but what about the part that the kicker shaft stopper has been tearing up. Do you think it would be possible to still use this case as long as I made sure not to kick the kickstarter all the way to the bottom of its stroke when starting? Perhaps I could even make a mechanical stop of some sort built into the frame. Other than the damage to the kicker area these cases are pristine. They've never been apart before and all the gasket surfaces are perfect. There's no chain damage to the sprocket area, etc. They're REALLY nice cases and I'd hate for them to be scrapped due to the kicker damage. I'd also hate to replace them with a set that didn't have the kicker damage but otherwise wasn't as nice, but I'd also hate to pay big money for another perfect set. What are my chances for a good repair? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #118
RoyVanas
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Fun Fun Fun!

RoyVanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #119
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Can anyone elaborate a bit more specifically about the difference between the 465 and early 490 kickstart shaft that is prone to failure and the later 490 shaft that is an improved design? Even better might be some pictures comparing the two types.
As you can see from my above photos, my cases were totally wrecked due to a kicker problem. However, the kicker shaft that came out of the motor looks brand new. There is no indication of damage to the stopper tab at all.
I'd like to determine if perhaps the old shaft broke and caused all the damage and was then replaced, maybe with the improved part if I'm lucky. Or maybe my engine just had a different type of failure. I'm assuming that since I have the engine apart I should make sure that I have the improved kicker shaft to avoid any future problems. Any insight would be appreciated. I have big plans for this machine.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #120
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 8,827
Thumb

Wow, those white ones must be pretty rare? I'd sure like to take a spin on one. Owning one and taking care of it is another story. I've ripped my XT apart so many times it isn't fun anymore.

Saweet!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote