Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #20461
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 444
Vic, they make a reciever hauler that "pivots". It tilts down, as you roll on it it returns to horizontal, then insert a pin & its locked. Maybe that would help.....
Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #20462
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 741
Laugh Weekend ride

Confirming what looks like the only off-road ride this weekend is Blackwater on Sunday?
Or is it a beastie/mostly paved? Trying to decide what bike to pull out to play on what day...preferring dirt...
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #20463
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,733
Dirt Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid=mark View Post
Confirming what looks like the only off-road ride this weekend is Blackwater on Sunday?
Or is it a beastie/mostly paved? Trying to decide what bike to pull out to play on what day...preferring dirt...
Bring the 450... very little pavement, lots of bad ass twisties.

Dont know who all is going just yet. May want to break up in small groups if dusty...and it can get dusty...

Last couple of rides out there have been awesome...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #20464
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
I've carried my 525 all over Hell's kitchen with this rig, and $100 to your doorstep is hard to beat. It requires, of course, a 2" receiver. I got concerned about the 0.150" walls of the main square tube recently, as I'm planning to take my bike to the yoop. I'm gonna strengthen it some by cramming smaller square tube inside the main hunk you see there. As it originally leaves the factory, however, it's rated at 400# (by whom and with what set of incentives I can't say) Incdentally the chain idea came from our local mechanical genius, Buzztail. Chains were not included with the original item.

Do you compress the suspension to put the chains on? I have a similar setup on my hauler but I use these and still have trouble pulling the bike down far enough to get them hooked over the pegs.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #20465
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,823
Yes sir. Lean the bike inward and hook up the inner chain, then pull it towards you to compress and hook up outter chain.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #20466
Mini Trail
nb

got it, I don't have near that much space to lean the bike toward the vehicle on my Jeep or motorhome. I also throw an extra cable around the bars for good luck.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #20467
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,946
Ive seen jack racks at alot of races
Old 07-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #20468
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,823
I don't reckon it cares if you start on the outside peg first, it's just easier if the second chain is right there in front of you and not on the inside.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #20469
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Yes sir. Lean the bike inward and hook up the inner chain, then pull it towards you to compress and hook up outter chain.
Yup. Buzz,as the inventor, is right. It takes very little space to lean the bike forward, since the chains are nearly vertical. I use the links with the nut on 'em so as to ensure that they don't turn a-loose when bouncing around,

Oddly enough, I had a deputy sheriff stop me this am, I thought so as to lecture me on an obsucred tag, but it was to look at the rack and see would one support his KLR. I discussed with him my plan to strenththen it some and he seemed happy.

Made me feel old. I remember the days when interaction with deputies was not pleasant. Now the more of 'em I see in my 'hood, the happier I get.

Don't scorn, kids: same thing's gonna happen to you.

BTW, I'm crapped out with tits-up wheel bearing on my 525, waiting on my buds here at the bradenton branch of the Leon County Library, farting about on the 'net.

I've had less hospitable surroundings while waiting to be rescued. Sunsabitches have been over an hour and a half tho, and I've finished the internet completely.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #20470
Mini Trail
nb

The other problem is that it is hard as a bastard to reach the back peg. I think your carrier sticks out further than mine (that's what she said). I have to hook the back first or it would fall over because I cant get behind it to pull.

I have the Harbour Freight version of the rack. I also use those magnet trailer lights you can get for $10 with a super coupon. I had to put steel plates on it for the magnets to attach.

I would post pics but my pic hoster got tired of me freeloading.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #20471
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Assuming of course your last ride was the time 9 of us rode out of Karick lake then YES. I have ridden it three times since then and added more bad stuff and removed some boring stuff. Everytime I go out it gets cobby-er.

BTW JDturner is great. But Im thinking I need to play with low end some...maybe just a tad leaner...

I am beginning to hate my seat! Are you having a bottoming problem?
The stock seat is crap, I bottom out of the seat rails quite a bit. I'm looking into either a seat concepts or gutz racing saddle... What time on Sunday is the meet up happening?

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #20472
Vico1
The Maestro

Week End Ride

No one has posted up for tomorrow so I guess its Sunday from Karick Lake to join two old dirt dogs but ADV n00bs for early morning Slow to Medium burn through Blackwater.

Figure a 70 mile ride. No gas. No food (bring trail food). Very little pavement. Water crossing stops to cool off.

This is not a big bike ride. I know James and Skid could ride their 650s but they are the exception. Several areas are pretty bad ass...

Wheels out at 8:AM.

PLEASE respect the calm and quiet of the area. WAIT until we are ready to leave and then start you bike... and limp out of campground, plenty of time to clear out bikes and adjust once we get away from camp. This aint Brox or Spec or even Hutton. Trust me these campers will (and did) blow the wistle just seeing MCs.

For those who want to join us - Karick Lake is 8 miles north of Baker (traffic light) on 189. Go to SECOND enterance (big red forrest sign to campgrounds NORTH) and follow it to Day Use Area. You will cross two narrow bridges before you get there. Remember - NORTH enterance.

MAD MAX got that!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #20473
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
The stock seat is crap, I bottom out of the seat rails quite a bit. I'm looking into either a seat concepts or gutz racing saddle... What time on Sunday is the meet up happening?
I have the Gutz Racing seat and it's awesome, soft and supple on the back side....but the only downside is that you have to use your original seat pan and build the seat...which isn't that big of a deal, but if you were looking for a plug and play, the Gutz isn't it....it is really nice and soft though.... Bottoming out the seat rails??? You need to stand more...young grasshopper......

BBBBBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

Going to miss riding with the fastburn crew, but I'm out till after the CO trip...probably late August, early September.......too many things going on/prep inbetween...you guys be safe!!
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #20474
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt View Post
I have the Gutz Racing seat and it's awesome, soft and supple on the back side....but the only downside is that you have to use your original seat pan and build the seat...which isn't that big of a deal, but if you were looking for a plug and play, the Gutz isn't it....it is really nice and soft though.... Bottoming out the seat rails??? You need to stand more...young grasshopper......

BBBBBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP

Going to miss riding with the fastburn crew, but I'm out till after the CO trip...probably late August, early September.......too many things going on/prep inbetween...you guys be safe!!
Sorry you didnt get to ride BW but it will still be here in August and September when you will be craving something SOFT to ride on.

Take plenty of pics and vids...

Remember Trot IV in October this year...

Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #20475
aaronc70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Sorry you didnt get to ride BW but it will still be here in August and September when you will be craving something SOFT to ride on.

Take plenty of pics and vids...

Remember Trot IV in October this year...
Let me know how the seat foam turns out. Mine on my 2012 450XCW sucks as well. I put GUTZ in a YZ250 and was happy with it for years. (I won't need the seat foam for awhile but when I'm back riding it will be time!)

aaronc70
aaronc70 is offline   Reply With Quote