ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #23506
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool
 
Woods Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Navarre, FL
Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2ride View Post
anyways....will be out and riding often soon...hopefully (fingers crossed)
PM me if you want to save money and buy a sweet 2009 530 exc.......!
__________________
2009 530 EXC - Dualsport Rocket Ship
2004 DL1000 VStrom - For the road

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #23507
TitaniumKaren
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Florida Panhandle
Oddometer: 81
The Place Beyond the Pines

This movie trailer brought me out of lurk-mode...check it out.

http://focusfeatures.com/video/ridin...yond_the_pines
TitaniumKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #23508
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,551
MC Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumKaren View Post
This movie trailer brought me out of lurk-mode...check it out.

http://focusfeatures.com/video/ridin...yond_the_pines
I try to see all movies with motorcycles in them. Unfortunately we probably saw all the mc footage in the entire movie on that trailer...

Still good woods rider scenes.

You and SuperDave gonna make it to the 2oth Ride.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #23509
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer
 
MadMax400's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Crestview, FL
Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Get the 500. You will not believe it. Lots of 5hunny experience here on par. Hope u join us for 20th ride.
I am actually torn between the two... I guess if most of your riding is dicing through the trees on single track here in the south, then the 350 is the heat. But if you plan on doing some street time with it and dicing the trees with some occasional mountains and desert thrown in, then the 500 is the ticket.. IMO.
Make no mistake, that 500 can do it all.. For wee seen it first hand with a few folks. Need to get Vic and the other gentleman with the new 350 and test ride them both and make a decision.. come on hook the man up fellas.. bring those bikes out and let man test them both..

HS two days away, looking forward to it..
__________________
06' KTM 400EXC (Sold)
MadMax400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #23510
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,551
Name for the 20th Ride

Well since there may be a few people show up for this ride I thought we might give it a simple name to remember it by.

The First Annual Pensacola Area Riders' Spring Forward No Fee Black Water and Conecuh Forest Dual Sport Extravaganza and Ride.

That seems nice and short and easy to remember.

TFAPARSFNFBWACFDSEAR
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #23511
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,551
MadMax on Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2ride View Post
Alright guys....I am going to the KTM dealership and am between the exc 500 and exc-F 350. I'm thinking I will come home with the 500. ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post
I am actually torn between the two... I guess if most of your riding is dicing through the trees on single track here in the south, then the 350 is the heat. But if you plan on doing some street time with it and dicing the trees with some occasional mountains and desert thrown in, then the 500 is the ticket.. IMO.

HS two days away, looking forward to it..
Even more basic. If you are gonna race ENDUROS or HS on a consistant basis and really want the best machine for that prupose- 350 baby.

It IS the same machine but not as much power so at the end of an LONG TERRIBLE day you will not be as tired. I rode 250F for 8 years in SERA I know.

For anything else - 5 Hunny Baby...

BTW anyone wants to ride my scoot just holler.... however, I require a written waver of responsibility for any adverse financial impact said ride may eventually require.

I rode a friends and it cost me 9k...
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #23512
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 271
vic i wasnt able to because of an event but it just canceled so i am going try and show up. it get about 180 miles before hitting the reserve with current setup...when and where is the meet up?
__________________
Dirty

Just_P_Dirty screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 06:46 PM
Just_P_Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #23513
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,968
BMW clutch life

Looking at a couple of R bikes. One is an '02 RT w/ 50K miles and the other is an '05 GS w/ 70K. Both look almost new from ten feet away and have been dealer serviced and taken great care of. The GS belonged to a guy in his late 60's who did IronButts for fun, so it has a lot of highway miles.

Would the local Beemer guys jump in and tell me how concerned I should be about clutch life and/or final drive issues (since both come w/ a big repair bill)? Are these things I/we could? Is there a good independent BMW tech around the area?

I know from my experience w/ the R1150GS that the final drive failure is pretty random and I never had any issues w/ mine w/ almost 40K on it. I've been kicking myself for getting rid of it, so I"m looking for another (plus my deal to get my old DR 350 back fell through when my buddy's wife found out about it and pitched one more fit).........

Any input appreciated..........
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.

AST236 screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 05:58 AM
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #23514
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer
 
bzrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: p cola
Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Looking at a couple of R bikes. One is an '02 RT w/ 50K miles and the other is an '05 GS w/ 70K. Both look almost new from ten feet away and have been dealer serviced and taken great care of. The GS belonged to a guy in his late 60's who did IronButts for fun, so it has a lot of highway miles.

Would the local Beemer guys jump in and tell me how concerned I should be about clutch life and/or final drive issues (since both come w/ a big repair bill)? Are these things I/we could? Is there a good independent BMW tech around the area?

I know from my experience w/ the R1150GS that the final drive failure is pretty random and I never had any issues w/ mine w/ almost 40K on it. I've been kicking myself for getting rid of it, so I"m looking for another (plus my deal to get my old DR 350 back fell through when my buddy's wife found out about it and pitched one more fit).........

Any input appreciated..........
I baby mine .. those bmw's are fragile .. don't worry about a clutch or final drive .thes bikes are bullet proof.
__________________
A GS IS A DIRT BIKE, U CAN'T RIDE>
bzrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #23515
papa wheelie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
papa wheelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Mountain City Fla.
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post
I am actually torn between the two... I guess if most of your riding is dicing through the trees on single track here in the south, then the 350 is the heat. But if you plan on doing some street time with it and dicing the trees with some occasional mountains and desert thrown in, then the 500 is the ticket.. IMO.
Make no mistake, that 500 can do it all.. For wee seen it first hand with a few folks. Need to get Vic and the other gentleman with the new 350 and test ride them both and make a decision.. come on hook the man up fellas.. bring those bikes out and let man test them both..

HS two days away, looking forward to it..
Well in my humble opinion as if anyone cares, I think the 450 xcw would make a better all rounder if you want to ride single track or race HS or endure and still dual sport around, belive or not the 450 though the same weight as 500 makes a mo beta single tracker and dose every thing the 500 can do fast track'n. And yes they can be made street legal. Word to ya Grandma! P.S. have a nice hodaka road toad for sale.
__________________
If'n ya don't pop a wheelie ya might blow an o ring
papa wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #23516
papa wheelie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
papa wheelie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Mountain City Fla.
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa wheelie View Post
Well in my humble opinion as if anyone cares, I think the 450 xcw would make a better all rounder if you want to ride single track or race HS or endure and still dual sport around, belive or not the 450 though the same weight as 500 makes a mo beta single tracker and dose every thing the 500 can do fast track'n. And yes they can be made street legal. Word to ya Grandma! P.S. have a nice hodaka road toad for sale.
I think any of the newer 4stk ktm's would be great but what ever you do DON'T BUY A 400!
__________________
If'n ya don't pop a wheelie ya might blow an o ring
papa wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #23517
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Looking at a couple of R bikes. Would the local Beemer guys jump in and tell me how concerned I should be about clutch life and/or final drive issues (since both come w/ a big repair bill)? Are these things I/we could? Is there a good independent BMW tech around the area?

Any input appreciated..........
Im sure BZ is correct - however - Phil has an 02 R1150R with about 50k and we think his main seal is leaking and causing the clutch to slip really badly. Its almost unridable now and we need to address the issue.

We havent approached the BMW shop yet to see what they would charge.

Any ideas. We have posted this before and got some good feed back then.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #23518
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Im sure BZ is correct - however - Phil has an 02 R1150R with about 50k and we think his main seal is leaking and causing the clutch to slip really badly. Its almost unridable now and we need to address the issue.

We havent approached the BMW shop yet to see what they would charge.

Any ideas. We have posted this before and got some good feed back then.
I"ve been told by the BMW dealership in P'cola that it would be in the neighborhood of $1400 to replace the clutch on the '05 GS. I know that is a ballpark figure, so YMMV. From what I"ve read, it's a pretty labor intensive job, so I"m guessing half of that is labor costs.

In your case, add whatever it will cost to replace the offending leaking seal.

Tell Phil I'll give him $368.47 and a cat for the bike and remove that stressor from his busy life........

Once I get back on some wheels, let's schedule a beast ride up this way and I'll throw some Conecuh Sausage and burgers on the grill......
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #23519
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool
 
Woods Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Navarre, FL
Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
I"ve been told by the BMW dealership in P'cola that it would be in the neighborhood of $1400 to replace the clutch on the '05 GS. I know that is a ballpark figure, so YMMV. From what I"ve read, it's a pretty labor intensive job, so I"m guessing half of that is labor costs.

In your case, add whatever it will cost to replace the offending leaking seal.

Tell Phil I'll give him $368.47 and a cat for the bike and remove that stressor from his busy life........

Once I get back on some wheels, let's schedule a beast ride up this way and I'll throw some Conecuh Sausage and burgers on the grill......
Frank you need a new stable of bikes! You've been laying low lately... Lol
__________________
2009 530 EXC - Dualsport Rocket Ship
2004 DL1000 VStrom - For the road

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #23520
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
Frank you need a new stable of bikes! You've been laying low lately... Lol
I agree buddy. Let me do some accounting.....

Wifey and daughter at the beach for a week: $$$$
Daughter has prom tonight: $$$
Daughter finds new stray cat who must visit the vet: $$
Treated my self to a new S&W target pistol pretty wife doesn't know about: $$$

Just kidding! I've managed to save $62.28 for a downpayment on a new ride, so I'm lookin' hard!!!!!
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014