Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #23671
Moabman
Ironman

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt View Post
HA! Let's make it a 1230 meet-up at Brox.
See you then....
Old 04-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #23672
Down2ride
Dude

Oddometer: 40
So.....picked up the KTM 500...loved it, until I got home. Found it leaking oil....fixed after finding loose bolts on clutch cover piece. It needed the oil change after the first hour of riding anyways, so I figured whatever....changed the oil and went riding... It seems so easy to get lost on the range and having fun doing it. So, the problems persist....I get home and now find I am leaking green fluid (coolant??) from airbox. What a crock...it's like having your cake and.....hmm...not.....ah, whatever it's bs!
Down2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #23673
Down2ride
Dude

Was going to add picture of problem, but don't know how....anyone tell me how to upload pictures? Also, I saw another website with a KTM with fluid in the airbox that was also the same green...still not uneasing, but....guess we'll see
Old 04-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #23674
Down2ride
Dude

Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #23675
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Option 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2ride View Post
Was going to add picture of problem, but don't know how....anyone tell me how to upload pictures? Also, I saw another website with a KTM with fluid in the airbox that was also the same green...still not uneasing, but....guess we'll see
Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #23676
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
So.....picked up the KTM 500...loved it, until I got home. Found it leaking oil....fixed after finding loose bolts on clutch cover piece. It needed the oil change after the first hour of riding anyways, so I figured whatever....changed the oil and went riding... It seems so easy to get lost on the range and having fun doing it. So, the problems persist....I get home and now find I am leaking green fluid (coolant??) from airbox. What a crock...it's like having your cake and.....hmm...not.....ah, whatever it's bs!
I'm not up to snuff on the 500, but I believe the stock overflow dumps into somewhere strange; see a lot of guys set up different coolant overflow bottles. Vic is the resident 500 expert.

My older exc400 has its overflow going to the frame; I redid that, along with crankcase breather. Like Vic said, a few simple things you will probably need need to do to correct EPA regs by KTM factory.

Also, good chance it had too much oil in it from shop; motors are super picky on oil levels. Make sure you top it off properly.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #23677
Down2ride
Dude

Just found a website for Husquvarna that says if your air filter probably is coated with to much oil, which happens from factory and unable to dry out will leak......IDK.. ?

Down2ride screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 07:31 PM
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #23678
Spike Paddy
Space Cowboy

Oddometer: 117
Just moved up to Crestview and had a nice wipeout coming down a big hill into some swamp land. Got the bike stuck trying to get out. It was fun though!

Spike Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #23679
MadMax400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Since you just picked it up, is there some sort of warranty with it? That is if it was a new purchase..

Would love to join you all for a fast burn but duty calls this weekend..
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #23680
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmy21b View Post
Just moved up to Crestview and had a nice wipeout coming down a big hill into some swamp land. Got the bike stuck trying to get out. It was fun though!

Great another crestukian who doesnt mind gettin dirty! when we ride bw you will have to join us- less swampy...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #23681
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 946
I know that guy. Yes, we can hit some trails now that you made the big move from Niceville.
DB
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #23682
Down2ride
Dude

*clock work

Well, I was supposed to ride and meet on the Bronx...was running late and showed up at 1245....anyways, did a solo and bike no longer having any issues. found the green fluid to be oil on air filter..wiped, clean, and no more leaking. I do now realize why people tow their bikes to the Bronx. The KTM is not a dual-sport, but a street legal dirt bike. It took me 42 miles from Shalimar through the range to the Bronx and took me one hour. I had a long day of riding then the nephew wanted to go out and ride his DRZ.. Anyways, I will be looking at picking up a cheap "beater" 4 cylnd. pick-up for such occasions. Unfortunately the Soob can only do so much, but is a blast to drive. ---I guess I may catch you guys some other time.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #23683
Down2ride
Dude

KTM owners...does anyone know of the differences in frame of the KTM between the years. I am curious for the fact I am looking at GPR steering stabilizers and they do not have it updated for the years...may have to call the company for fits, but looking for input reguardless.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #23684
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
KTM owners...does anyone know of the differences in frame of the KTM between the years. I am curious for the fact I am looking at GPR steering stabilizers and they do not have it updated for the years...may have to call the company for fits, but looking for input reguardless.
Go to KTMtalk.com...lots of information on there about frame changes. There is actually an entire thread devoted to yearly updates, down to each bolt that changed.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #23685
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,974
5 Hunny info

Quote:
Down2Ride,

Congrats on your new ride. I live in FT Walton near Mary Ester cut off. We need to ride sometime and I can show you some pretty good stuff starting at Timberlake area.

GPR - The mounting for the new 5hunny is the same as for the 2008 thru 20011 excs.

I moved mine from the 2008 530 to the 500 with out problems.
WARNING - Be very careful and check the clearance between the mounting colar and the wiring for the odo etc. Make SURE you have clearance before moving the handle bars and slicing off your wires!!!

The bike stock has problems with running lean from factory. Does yours pop of decell? Best way to cure is to remove a Smog devices and canister. Its about a 15minute process. You may even have the right plugs in you took kit from factory... check that and see.

You can go online to see procedure. Or bring it over one day and we can strip off.

The final fix for me was install of JDTuner with 500 settings ($200 ouch!). If you think you bike is stong now wait until you do these mods.

There are options to this online. Check the 2012 ktm 500 exc thread for lots of info.... use search since this is a hugh thread.

You bike sould not leak anywhere. Sounds like you may have fixed those problems.

This bike is step up with soft suspension. Depending on weight and agressive riding style you may need stiffer springs and adjustments. This can come later once you get use to the bike. I would play with clickers until you get use to the bike before changing springs. I did NOT do that on mine and it seems ok. But then I am an old man and not very fast...

You are correct in that the 500 is NOT a street bike. It can be but it aint is stock trim. Most of us truck to ride spots. Save knobbies too.

Hit me up if you have any questions and I will try and answer...

Look forward to riding with you.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote