ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #24031
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 2,003
Yep, you know it's a bad day when the wrecker needs a wrecker. Sorta' like when Jim Cantori or Mike Sidell show up for lunch.

Knock on wood, our '03 Suburban handled the camper w/o any problems. We didn't fly, but we didn't hold traffic up too much. I'll have my local wrench help me determine if I need an additional trans cooler or not. I may even start looking for an older 3/4 ton pickup. An inmate just sold one in Colorado that would have done the trick......

I'll probably just keep my eyes and ears open around here for a little dualsport bike. Now that I have the FJR, I have the street side covered and the dualsport rides we do around here are pretty short and can easily be done on a 350 and maybe even a 250. Lots of local dirt roads connected by county roads.

One of my all time favorite dirt bikes was a little XR250. Lightweight, easy to start, hard to kill, enough power for my meager skills. The XR250L is kinda' gutless, but then I"m getting mail from AARP, so................
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #24032
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,974
Camper

great looking rig. Im sure you will enjoy it.

Funny, you travel down here to camp and we travel up there (to Open Pond and Karick Lake)... grass is always greener I guess.

BTW I have been told that it is not a good idea (or even legal?) to mount a motorcycle on the back of a bumper pull. Something about tongue weight? I have been wanting to do that my self but haven't really gotten into it yet...

I can carry the dirt bikes in the truck but not my big bike. Just a thought.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #24033
freebornman
pointman
 
freebornman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: where abouts unknown
Oddometer: 1,230
7 hrs.away

I thought I would offer that I am going between Navarre and west palm bch. quite often now so if you were to find a bike between I may be able to pick it up for you.
fbm







Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Yep, you know it's a bad day when the wrecker needs a wrecker. Sorta' like when Jim Cantori or Mike Sidell show up for lunch.

Knock on wood, our '03 Suburban handled the camper w/o any problems. We didn't fly, but we didn't hold traffic up too much. I'll have my local wrench help me determine if I need an additional trans cooler or not. I may even start looking for an older 3/4 ton pickup. An inmate just sold one in Colorado that would have done the trick......

I'll probably just keep my eyes and ears open around here for a little dualsport bike. Now that I have the FJR, I have the street side covered and the dualsport rides we do around here are pretty short and can easily be done on a 350 and maybe even a 250. Lots of local dirt roads connected by county roads.

One of my all time favorite dirt bikes was a little XR250. Lightweight, easy to start, hard to kill, enough power for my meager skills. The XR250L is kinda' gutless, but then I"m getting mail from AARP, so................
__________________
Life is a journey,,,So take some trails.
freebornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #24034
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebornman View Post
I thought I would offer that I am going between Navarre and west palm bch. quite often now so if you were to find a bike between I may be able to pick it up for you.
fbm
I appreciate the offer and will keep that in mind.


The one I"m looking at now is near Nashville, though......
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #24035
MadMax400
Beastly Adventurer
 
MadMax400's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Crestview, FL
Oddometer: 1,017
Aufwiedersehen

In just a few days it will be Bier, Schnitzel, Autobahn with lots of cool cars/bikes and fun with family and friends.

I plan in checking this place out while I am there...
http://ktm-dresden.de

Tschuss
__________________
13' KTM 450 XC-W
MadMax400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #24036
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,974
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post
In just a few days it will be Bier, Schnitzel, Autobahn with lots of cool cars/bikes and fun with family and friends.

I plan in checking this place out while I am there...
http://ktm-dresden.de

Tschuss
Sounds like a good time ahead. Be safe over there and share you fun with us.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #24037
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,709
There's a street legal XR250 on tally Craigslist. 2004, I believe. Has a lot of nice farkles, but says it needs a new top end. Then again, with air cooled motor, could do it in about 2 hours.
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #24038
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
There's a street legal XR250 on tally Craigslist. 2004, I believe. Has a lot of nice farkles, but says it needs a new top end. Then again, with air cooled motor, could do it in about 2 hours.
Thanks but these days, my idea of a 'fixer upper' is a bike that needs gas.......
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #24039
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ogre_fl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Cook Bayou, FL
Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
BTW I have been told that it is not a good idea (or even legal?) to mount a motorcycle on the back of a bumper pull. Something about tongue weight? I have been wanting to do that my self but haven't really gotten into it yet...
Not illegal, but yea you have to watch the tongue weight.

I might be wrong, but supposedly if you stay within the great state of Alabama you can even get away with tandem towing.
I met a couple recently with a Hornet Hideout that towed a bike trailer behind their bumper pull
I asked about sway and they said they did not have an issue with it.
FWIW their camper had a spec tongue weight of around 1000# so it might just have been their set up.

Here is a cool site on the subject of bumper mount bike carring.

http://www.everymilesamemory.com/mot..._&_carrier.htm

I am thinking of doing the same for the DRZ, even though I have plenty of capacity to take bikes in my truck.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #24040
Just_P_Dirty
Its more fun when Dirty!
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 272
there is an xt225 in that price range on eglin lemon lot. pm me your email and i will send you some pics with info
__________________
Dirty
Just_P_Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #24041
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low
 
ElusivePedro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Oddometer: 2,588
Question

AST:
http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/mcy/3859371913.html
???
__________________
Pete
Wet Compass & Depends
"Frank" - '89 XL600V Transalp
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #24042
AST236
Beastly Adventurer
 
AST236's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Alabama
Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusivePedro View Post

Sweet! Anybody close by that could lay eyes on it for me? I'm gonna' give the guy a buzz...........oops, he didn't leave a number.

I emailed him and hope I get a response..........

thanks, Pete... You are da' man.....
__________________
I usually run out of talent before I run out of horsepower.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #24043
rotorhead511
Live and let live.
 
rotorhead511's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Lower Bank, NJ
Oddometer: 475
Anyone know if one can plate an xc-w in Florida??
__________________
'12 450 XC-W
'11 300 XC
'04 GasGas TXT Pro 280
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #24044
r_bin
Studly Adventurer
 
r_bin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Pensacola
Oddometer: 705
I don't think a newer one would be a problem.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
Anyone know if one can plate an xc-w in Florida??
__________________
Seemed like a good idea at the time...
r_bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #24045
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
Anyone know if one can plate an xc-w in Florida??
I know several people who have had two stroke xc-w plated. All depends on the MSO or registration if not tagged and titled.
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014