Oddometer: 5,529
Hey Skid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid=mark View Post
For the truly adventurous ADV'ers out there:

[/COLOR]
How's the new life?

Come on out and ride when you can.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #24257
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Jug View Post
Adv gang thanks for the fast responses and I'm pumped to go ride both places now! I plan to search more when I get home from work!! Sweet I'm excited!
Looking forward now to ride! My wife and daughter can cook their butts on the beach and me on the trails!!

Sent from inside of my Man Cave to outer space then back to your space.
Try this post for a video of some recent Eglin Action...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=24227

Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #24258
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 700
Thumb New digs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
How's the new life?
Come on out and ride when you can.
Finally closed on sale of my wife's previous residence yesterday (maintaining two and half residences "showroom ready" and mostly on the weekends for the last 4 1/2 months has been a bee-otch)! We're about 95% done getting settled in at the new place, really just trying to find some organization in garage/shop area--which has been the staging area for anything that did not know where it was supposed to go.

I am out in the Innerarity/Perdido area so I am farther from EVERYWHERE we ride ...

I am going to try to head over to the BMW place in about an hour or so, (10:30ish) and might even be up for a ride in the morning if it doesn't feel like 900 degrees at 6:00 a.m. ... we have had some relatively cool mornings this past week--could happen!
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #24259
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Love the fastburn video!

Hmm I guess I better go ride in my daughters sand pit!!

This big boy not a professional in the sand!

Sent from inside of my Man Cave to outer space then back to your space.
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #24260
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 257
Sand Riding

IMO the secret to riding sand is to go fast/gas it. When you go fast you stay on top of the sand and have some control...when you let off or hit the brakes you get down into the sand and all bets are off. Sounds a little scary at first but when in doubt, GAS IT!
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #24261
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
66.33N or bust

I have not yet set up a RR here on the forum for my run to the circle as internet is a bit doggy for the type of photo quality I want to post. If interested you can see a general RR over at my blog. SiegWelt as I'm only traveling with a cell phone it's easier to to keep it short when I find wifi at gas stations along the way.

And for those who are bitching about gas prices imagine what you hear coming from my mouth when I pump in 38 dollars a tank at fill up. Ouch!! I find the pain goes away using a debit card to pay for gas as it's not real till I check my account balance. I'll save that for when I get home.

Weather is great here sunny running mid 70's perfect riding weather. We are taking a R&R day in Stockholm before heading up 1000km to a town called Jokkmokk for the Arctic Circle photo in the morning.

It amazing the back roads they have here, (think WRC racing type of roads you see on Speed) I just turn off my GPS interstate and highway mode and it runs us all over the back country.

My SPOT tracker is linked in my sig at bottom of the page

A few teaser photos.
Gas fill up

The bike is running fine, but shifts like a freaking Harley, I get terrible thunks when I shift. Averaging 180 miles on a tank. I can get over 200mi if I keep the bike in rain mode which tames the engine down allot.

Stealth camping in Sweden, you can squat for the night anywhere 200m away from a structure here in Sweden as well as Norway and Finland.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #24262
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
IMO the secret to riding sand is to go fast/gas it. When you go fast you stay on top of the sand and have some control...when you let off or hit the brakes you get down into the sand and all bets are off. Sounds a little scary at first but when in doubt, GAS IT!
Standing up will help even out the weight on the tires as well, when able of course given the low trees on the Rez. Agree when in doubt punch that bitch full throttle.

I'm just saying...

10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
Old 07-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #24263
Down2ride
Dude

Oddometer: 40
riding tomorrow

Hey gang,

I have been riding the reservation off 85 and a little bit of moisture with some puddles. Dust has been down, but has been hot. Anyways, my brother is in from OK city on leave and brought his ktm 350.... We've been riding, but thinking of traveling a bit tomorrow. Any suggestions? I saw the river by the Bronx and look like it is overflowing quite a bit. I was thinking of off 20 east of Blue Water Bay or going to Blackwater. Anyone have reports on those areas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Down2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #24264
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
and it never hurts to have a huge pizza in your ruck in case you need to stop and fill up. and don't forget a vcr a battery backup, a laser range finder and oh course a kitchen sink.
thus the name "ruckedup"
fbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
Standing up will help even out the weight on the tires as well, when able of course given the low trees on the Rez. Agree when in doubt punch that bitch full throttle.

I'm just saying...

Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #24265
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebornman View Post
and it never hurts to have a huge pizza in your ruck in case you need to stop and fill up. and don't forget a vcr a battery backup, a laser range finder and oh course a kitchen sink.
thus the name "ruckedup"
fbm
You forgot two sigg bottles of gas and snake bite kit and gator repellent
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #24266
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Guzzi test ride reports? What's the Racer like?
r_bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #24267
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
the secret to sand is balance. you only need to go fast enough to keep your balance . size of the bike doesn't matter either.. just my opinion .
Old 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #24268
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

More Sand Shit ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzrider View Post
the secret to sand is balance. you only need to go fast enough to keep your balance . size of the bike doesn't matter either.. just my opinion .
BZ and all of you guys are correct, but let me try and clarify.

Its not SPEED but ACCELERATION that matters. Eglin is nothing but big sand washes. Many of them I stop and make sure the pack is together and THEN accelerate through super deep sand starting from 0. Acceleration is the answer not SPEED. If you see a super sand area coming and get your speed up to 90 MPH it aint shit if you have to back off the throttle which throws the weight forward, forks compress and little Johnny get thrown on his head....

When you see the sand remember- slowly accelerate and let the bike go where it wants too ... get your ass off the seat and let the bike dance...the balance thing... and our lord god and savior of all dirt bikes "Momentum" will see you through.

BTW - Blackwater is saturated. I was out there this morning and it was flooded in most areas. You gotta go North to get dry (meaning not underwater) ground.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #24269
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Thumb Sunday ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post

BTW - Blackwater is saturated. I was out there this morning and it was flooded in most areas. You gotta go North to get dry (meaning not underwater) ground.
So I am guessing with all the rain today it will be pretty cool in the morning. I just got back from a pedal/paddle boat ride and am not even sweating.

I'm not interested in fording any 6' deep creeks--is there a ride plan for tomorrow? Otherwise, I think I'm gonna hit Brox/Powerstation/ATV trail which is always do-able.
Plus I haven't ridden in months, so I gotta get back in the game...
Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #24270
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Wink Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzrider View Post
I'm with BZ in regard to the size of the bike; if you are under 160-170 pounds, you can pretty much get by with anything if the tires are decent. I could haul ass on a 200--in fact, it was a lot less weight to throw around--I may even go back to a [KTM] 200.

Some of the heavier guys (I'm a lightweight) might need a little more ooomph, but I find that if I am not standing, sliding back on the seat to load the drive wheel and lighten the front (similar effect to WFO) will work fine for me in any sand conditions, but for turns I will move forward to work the balance/slide thing.