User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #24436
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
:) ;)

Sent from inside of my Man Cave to outer space then back to your space.
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #24437
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartohob View Post
hey thats just a figure of speech i say. im sure that you dont cobble be back after the weekend going on boat fri around noon wont be back till mon
waysherr's work is better than OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
I am thinking about a new scoot mainly for riding Eglin and Blackwater...which one is better if my choices were limited to the Suzuki DRZ400S or Yamaha WR250R? I am particularly interested in hearing from those who own or have ridden them. I have all the specs printed in front of me. Thanks for the input!
I quit riding my DRZ as a dualsport. TOO goddamn heavy and unweildy. It's a great supermoto though!

WRR is a weakling.

That being said, I cut my teeth at EG and BW riding on a '95 xt 225 with egg shaped front wheel....

but for those of you with money enough to afford a good bike buy something you'll be happy with for more than one month.

BW/EG main concern is SAND. for sand riding you need a LIGHT POWERFUL bike. enough power can overcome some weight IE the big KTMs. it's kind of a balancing point thing. you need to keep in mind that whatever you buy you need to get the suspension set up by R&R for your weight, as that will be the best bang for your buck and smiles per dollar than anything else.

The husky TE bikes would be great PAR bikes, and obviously the KTMs are the go to weapon of choice. husa and gas gas also make some good taggable dirtbikes.

All that being said, i've seen just about everything on PAR rides.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #24438
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,916
To me the WRR feels as heavy as the DRZ, and very wide. After giving one several chances to come home with me I could not do it. The Sumo version is fun in town, and not too spunky to put a drivers license in danger every time you hit the street... but as a dirt bike it's just not there. You can make the DRZ into whatever bike you want (except a light one) with aftermarket stuff.

If you are really limited to one of those two bikes I'd go DRZ. If not there are plenty of options out there. If a real dirtbike is what you're after then Hatch laid it out for you. If you want a true DS bike that you can easily keep up in the EG sand and the goodies in BW as well as ride it on the street, mountains, commute, have a button, EFI, tons of power, and good suspension- there really is only one option- 690. Trust me on this. I've spent the coin to test almost everything available by actually buying it and riding them over the years...

You should have seen Inepts eyes light up when Mr.Guns told him that he had 60k on his stock DRZ- Tony now has visions of riding his well into his retirement
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #24439
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,251
DRZ all the way.

For Christ sake,,,,,,Eglin and Blackwater are DIRT ROADS.
DIRT ROADS.

Need to spend $8-10k to ride a dirt road on a bike with a air box cover that they call a "seat"?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #24440
Gimmee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
orange ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
DRZ all the way.

DIRT ROADS.

Need to spend $8-10k to ride a dirt road on a bike with a air box cover that they call a "seat"?

HEY!!! I LIKE MY AIR BOX COVER
Gimmee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #24441
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
DRZ all the way.

DIRT ROADS.
Well there are dirt roads and then there are "dirt roads"

There is also a speed (fun/adrenaline) factor to consider.

But to each his own.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #24442
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmee View Post
HEY!!! I LIKE MY AIR BOX COVER
It's obvious.
I see you ridin side saddle after a few dozen miles so there's gotta be a lot of "like" to endure that.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #24443
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Well there are dirt roads and then there are "dirt roads"

There is also a speed (fun/adrenaline) factor to consider.

But to each his own.
This guy speaks the truth. (or at least he's got some of us convinced)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #24444
slomo510
what to ride today?

Oddometer: 200
I completely forgot to mention, my brother is selling his TE250... PERFECT for Eglin/BW and its street legal!

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/3899730561.html

and you dont have to drink the orange kool-aid

best of all worlds, power, E-start, tagged, light

you can thank me later!
WERA#510
2013 R1200GSW
slomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #24445
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Nice bike, wish my wife would break loose of some money, she needs a plated bike to ride the dirt roads.
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #24446
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Tony, You're 100% correct. You don't need a ktm to have fun, but whack the throttle open on the 690 and let loose roughly twice the hp as a DRZ, and you'll be for sure smilin'.
The DRZ is the better of the two choices laid out here and that's a fact. I put a bunch of fun miles on mine (now Hatch's) in the ANF, but there were many, many times I wished for more bike when I was not on an actual road. The orange bikes fill that need to a T

I've owned and ridden a slew of bikes in the past seven years since I started back, and I'll tell ya one thing you can take to the bank... ANY of them are better than sitting here in my office typing, but dual sporting by design is a compromise. The key is to look for the least ammount of compromise in the direction that you wish to ride.
I have seven miles from my house to the ANF.
KLR650
XT225
KTM200
DRZ400s
KDX220
KDX200
KLX250s
DL1000
DL650
R1200GS
KTM 450EXC
DR350
KTM690
I "think" that's a pretty complete list of the dual sport bikes I've owned in that time. If I were going to ride EG, BW, and ANF I'd look at HOW I planned on getting there. If hauling in and unloading there the 450 hands down, but that bike was not practical to ride on the street. If I had more than a 5-6 mile ride to get there I'd be on the 690 It's the easy winner- six speeds, and 60+ hp, and great suspension= no brainer. I like the little DR350 in the dirt, but a street ride of 20 miles or so would not be the highlight of the day. The KLX250 was weak on the street and not much more than lackluster in the dirt- I could not keep up with the pack when I rode it in EG at TT2(?) with the throttle pinned it didn't have the nuts to stay on top of the sand. A WR250R would be in the same boat. DRZ a step better power wise until the sand gets deep.

Vic has made mention several times that sand riding is about acceleration. Other than the three #200 40+hp two smokes the 450, and the 690 are the only two that easily out power whatever you get into.
Quote:
My bad
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #24447
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Yes he does and I do too.
All the years of riding Eglin/Blackwater, nothing compares to some of the rocky, washed out, inclines, downhill dirt roads of Cheaha.

DRZ does fine there too and for a lot less money.
Not trying to piss off the Orange/ yellow and Red riders, but yawwl ought to come back to earth just a wee bit.
Having ridden a few Ktm's, ect,to me the view just ain't worth the price.
To each his own.

DRZ does fine down here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
This guy speaks the truth. (or at least he's got some of us convinced)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #24448
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

I agree Tony, You can haul the mail on the DRZ, and make it look easy

You do have to admit though that you (much like some of the other older riders/racers over there- Vic, Barney, etc) guys could make us mere mortals cower in fear as you passed the orange bikes on a REFLEX. I have sawr'd it.
Quote:
My bad
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #24449
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,944
n00bs pay attention

all this banter about bikes is based on over 200 years of experience and not just BS (combined experience for all us "Old Timers" and untold miles of dirt and memories....

so listen and even then you will not LEARN until you do your own thing and decide...

One thing for sure .... there is no ONE answer...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #24450
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Oddometer: 5,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
You can make the DRZ into whatever bike you want (except a light one) with aftermarket stuff.

If you are really limited to one of those two bikes I'd go DRZ.

You should have seen Inepts eyes light up when Mr.Guns told him that he had 60k on his stock DRZ- Tony now has visions of riding his well into his retirement
Between the WR-R and DRZ, I think the DRZ narrowly wins out because of the additional HP, cheaper price on the used market, and the ginormous aftermarket support.

If yer trailering over to BW/EG, that's a whole nother ballgame and there are lighter/more powerful bikes to choose from. But if yer gonna ride the mofo out there and back like I do (and for me it's a ~35 mile ride to get there), then either the WR-R or DRZ will get the job done. Long maintenance intervals for both of 'em, and mild states of tune mean long engine life. I've been running my DRZ out there for 5 yrs now, and at almost 22K on the odo (with all original internals), no signs she's tired yet. Cam chain's noisy, always has been, there's very little oil consumption, I've never had to do a valve adjustment, and the bike runs exactly like it did when I bought it with 4K on the odo.

Buzz--correct me if I'm mistaken, but Guns said his 60K-mile DRZ never needed a valve adjustment, had all its original bearings and engine internals, and he was still on his original stator (known failure point on high-mileage DRZs). I knew they were tough machines, but that's almost

So there's that. Plus, there's also this one other factor in the DRZ's favor to consider:

Hard to believe that was a real ad from the 60's. A Different Time in America, no doubt!

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote