Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #24451
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Nice bike, wish my wife would break loose of some money, she needs a plated bike to ride the dirt roads.
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #24452
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,760
Tony, You're 100% correct. You don't need a ktm to have fun, but whack the throttle open on the 690 and let loose roughly twice the hp as a DRZ, and you'll be for sure smilin'.
The DRZ is the better of the two choices laid out here and that's a fact. I put a bunch of fun miles on mine (now Hatch's) in the ANF, but there were many, many times I wished for more bike when I was not on an actual road. The orange bikes fill that need to a T

I've owned and ridden a slew of bikes in the past seven years since I started back, and I'll tell ya one thing you can take to the bank... ANY of them are better than sitting here in my office typing, but dual sporting by design is a compromise. The key is to look for the least ammount of compromise in the direction that you wish to ride.
I have seven miles from my house to the ANF.
KLR650
XT225
KTM200
DRZ400s
KDX220
KDX200
KLX250s
DL1000
DL650
R1200GS
KTM 450EXC
DR350
KTM690
I "think" that's a pretty complete list of the dual sport bikes I've owned in that time. If I were going to ride EG, BW, and ANF I'd look at HOW I planned on getting there. If hauling in and unloading there the 450 hands down, but that bike was not practical to ride on the street. If I had more than a 5-6 mile ride to get there I'd be on the 690 It's the easy winner- six speeds, and 60+ hp, and great suspension= no brainer. I like the little DR350 in the dirt, but a street ride of 20 miles or so would not be the highlight of the day. The KLX250 was weak on the street and not much more than lackluster in the dirt- I could not keep up with the pack when I rode it in EG at TT2(?) with the throttle pinned it didn't have the nuts to stay on top of the sand. A WR250R would be in the same boat. DRZ a step better power wise until the sand gets deep.

Vic has made mention several times that sand riding is about acceleration. Other than the three #200 40+hp two smokes the 450, and the 690 are the only two that easily out power whatever you get into.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #24453
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,091
Yes he does and I do too.
All the years of riding Eglin/Blackwater, nothing compares to some of the rocky, washed out, inclines, downhill dirt roads of Cheaha.

DRZ does fine there too and for a lot less money.
Not trying to piss off the Orange/ yellow and Red riders, but yawwl ought to come back to earth just a wee bit.
Having ridden a few Ktm's, ect,to me the view just ain't worth the price.
To each his own.

DRZ does fine down here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
This guy speaks the truth. (or at least he's got some of us convinced)
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #24454
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,760
I agree Tony, You can haul the mail on the DRZ, and make it look easy

You do have to admit though that you (much like some of the other older riders/racers over there- Vic, Barney, etc) guys could make us mere mortals cower in fear as you passed the orange bikes on a REFLEX. I have sawr'd it.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #24455
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,538
n00bs pay attention

all this banter about bikes is based on over 200 years of experience and not just BS (combined experience for all us "Old Timers" and untold miles of dirt and memories....

so listen and even then you will not LEARN until you do your own thing and decide...

One thing for sure .... there is no ONE answer...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #24456
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
You can make the DRZ into whatever bike you want (except a light one) with aftermarket stuff.

If you are really limited to one of those two bikes I'd go DRZ.

You should have seen Inepts eyes light up when Mr.Guns told him that he had 60k on his stock DRZ- Tony now has visions of riding his well into his retirement
Between the WR-R and DRZ, I think the DRZ narrowly wins out because of the additional HP, cheaper price on the used market, and the ginormous aftermarket support.

If yer trailering over to BW/EG, that's a whole nother ballgame and there are lighter/more powerful bikes to choose from. But if yer gonna ride the mofo out there and back like I do (and for me it's a ~35 mile ride to get there), then either the WR-R or DRZ will get the job done. Long maintenance intervals for both of 'em, and mild states of tune mean long engine life. I've been running my DRZ out there for 5 yrs now, and at almost 22K on the odo (with all original internals), no signs she's tired yet. Cam chain's noisy, always has been, there's very little oil consumption, I've never had to do a valve adjustment, and the bike runs exactly like it did when I bought it with 4K on the odo.

Buzz--correct me if I'm mistaken, but Guns said his 60K-mile DRZ never needed a valve adjustment, had all its original bearings and engine internals, and he was still on his original stator (known failure point on high-mileage DRZs). I knew they were tough machines, but that's almost

So there's that. Plus, there's also this one other factor in the DRZ's favor to consider:

Hard to believe that was a real ad from the 60's. A Different Time in America, no doubt!

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #24457
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
all this banter about bikes is based on over 200 years of experience and not just BS (combined experience for all us "Old Timers" and untold miles of dirt and memories....

so listen and even then you will not LEARN until you do your own thing and decide...

One thing for sure .... there is no ONE answer...
Well said, Vico. It really depends on what each individual wants out of their bike. And the jury is still out on my decision as well because I simply haven't had enough time on the bike yet. I went from 250 four strokes to the T800XC with a few street bikes in between. Had the tiger one year and after multiple off road excursions and 500 miles of two track in the Ozarks it was apparent that I would have more fun on a lighter bike. So now the tiger is gone and I have the 690E. Its not as capable as the tiger in the touring department but it will surely be better off road. There are a ton of choices in the endure market. It all depends on what type of endure capabilities you expect.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #24458
Gimmee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Between the WR-R and DRZ, I think the DRZ narrowly wins out because of the additional HP, cheaper price on the used market, and the ginormous aftermarket support.

If yer trailering over to BW/EG, that's a whole nother ballgame and there are lighter/more powerful bikes to choose from. But if yer gonna ride the mofo out there and back like I do (and for me it's a ~35 mile ride to get there), then either the WR-R or DRZ will get the job done. Long maintenance intervals for both of 'em, and mild states of tune mean long engine life. I've been running my DRZ out there for 5 yrs now, and at almost 22K on the odo (with all original internals), no signs she's tired yet. Cam chain's noisy, always has been, there's very little oil consumption, I've never had to do a valve adjustment, and the bike runs exactly like it did when I bought it with 4K on the odo.

Buzz--correct me if I'm mistaken, but Guns said his 60K-mile DRZ never needed a valve adjustment, had all its original bearings and engine internals, and he was still on his original stator (known failure point on high-mileage DRZs). I knew they were tough machines, but that's almost

So there's that. Plus, there's also this one other factor in the DRZ's favor to consider:

Hard to believe that was a real ad from the 60's. A Different Time in America, no doubt!
yeah but you get a better ride on K T M !!! AROUND THE WORLD
Gimmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #24459
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
I am thinking about a new scoot mainly for riding Eglin and Blackwater...which one is better if my choices were limited to the Suzuki DRZ400S or Yamaha WR250R? I am particularly interested in hearing from those who own or have ridden them. I have all the specs printed in front of me. Thanks for the input!

There is a TE250 Husky on craigslist in Gulf Breeze with only 700 miles for 3700 OBO. While the WR & KLX (250's) are "nice" bikes the TE SMOKES em in motor & suspension. If u r wanting a 250 that one would be hard to pass up & its FI

Are you the Bullfrog that posts on SEV site??
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #24460
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waysherr View Post
there is a te250 husky on craigslist in gulf breeze with only 700 miles for 3700 obo. While the wr & klx (250's) are "nice" bikes the te smokes em in motor & suspension. If u r wanting a 250 that one would be hard to pass up
r_bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #24461
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Quote:
Originally Posted by waysherr View Post
There is a TE250 Husky on craigslist in Gulf Breeze with only 700 miles for 3700 OBO. While the WR & KLX (250's) are "nice" bikes the TE SMOKES em in motor & suspension. If u r wanting a 250 that one would be hard to pass up & its FI
+1 to all that

Also, that TE belongs to fellow ADVer, mucho skilled rider and all-around Good Guy sallad:

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #24462
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
You know what's strange? I've been on this epic trip with great weather and great luck, and still I must confess missing blackwater at times. I guess its because my first offroad was there, but I'm looking forward to ripping it up there again..

Its weird how your mind adjusts to things. At first I was mouth agape at all these beautiful places, but eventually it becomes "oh look another beautiful mountain vista" or "oh look another rock formation". Not that I don't appreciate it or that I don't love every minute, but it goes to show you ole blackwater can be awesome in its own right. Rip it up sandfleas!
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #24463
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 263
DRZ/WR, Bike Rentals, Vintage MX Race

OK guys, I appreciate the opinions and thoughts on the DR vs WR question...everyone has a valid point from their perspective. The beauty of it all is that everyone has a different perspective. I figure the forum just saved me about $25K since I don't have to buy all of the possibilities now.

A little related information...if you are in the Smokey Mt National Park vicinity, this guy rents bikes and I have rented from him several times with great results:

www.gsmmotorent.com
8459 St. Hwy. 73
Townsend, TN 37882

And there is a MX race at Monster Mt in Tallassee, AL on 24 and 25 Aug where they will be racing on a vintage style track that is like the ones prevalent in the early 70s e.g. no double, triples, etc. just a little sand and anyone from here should do great with that...you can race either day or both days. Tom Brinkman the track owner is super friendly and helpful, call him if you have specific questions. The link for the race is, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
and the link for Tom's info is http://www.monstermx.com/live/?page_id=155. It is close enough that you could drive up in the morning, race, and spend the night back at home.
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #24464
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
You know what's strange? I've been on this epic trip with great weather and great luck, and still I must confess missing blackwater at times. I guess its because my first offroad was there, but I'm looking forward to ripping it up there again..
I understand, and am glad to hear it. I remember this one local guy a few years ago who rode the TAT and came back from it completely disenchanted with riding BW or anything else in the FL Panhandle for that matter. Glad you ain't that guy. Blackwater's a beautiful place, and I love it.

It'll be here waiting for ya. Ride safe mang!

Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #24465
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
OK guys, I appreciate the opinions and thoughts on the DR vs WR question...everyone has a valid point from their perspective. The beauty of it all is that everyone has a different perspective. I figure the forum just saved me about $25K since I don't have to buy all of the possibilities now.

A little related information...if you are in the Smokey Mt National Park vicinity, this guy rents bikes and I have rented from him several times with great results:

www.gsmmotorent.com
8459 St. Hwy. 73
Townsend, TN 37882

And there is a MX race at Monster Mt in Tallassee, AL on 24 and 25 Aug where they will be racing on a vintage style track that is like the ones prevalent in the early 70s e.g. no double, triples, etc. just a little sand and anyone from here should do great with that...you can race either day or both days. Tom Brinkman the track owner is super friendly and helpful, call him if you have specific questions. The link for the race is, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
and the link for Tom's info is http://www.monstermx.com/live/?page_id=155. It is close enough that you could drive up in the morning, race, and spend the night back at home.
My sons have raced there many times. They use to have an event called "Top Kid Showcase". Met the Alessi brothers there once.