Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #24571
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
TETS Day 1

At Helen, we decided to grab lunch at, where else but Helen's Diner. Robin had the chicken fried steak while I had blackeyed peas, greens and of course French fries with gravy (diet food...lol).
Enjoying the report Rick. Had lunch there with Rich a couple years ago, guess what he had.

Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #24572
kurt78203
Batman

Oddometer: 6
Wicked Ride this weekend??

I would like to get my first ride under my belt but I am a novice rider at best. Would anybody want to meet up Sunday and do some riding? I would prefer somewhere that doesn't take a whole lot of skill and I can get a good feeling for my bike. Also, does anyone know the coverage of ATT on the range? (I have an iPhone5 if it matters) I would rather use my phone for a GPS instead of having two devices that do the same thing... Thanks!
kurt78203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #24573
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 257
First Ride

Just trying to be helpful and would love to have you ride with us but I would not recommend starting at Broxson Landing...this Sunday's starting location. Lots of sand.

The farther North you go the less sand there is...see Post #2 for starting locations and a description of the rides.

The trails directly around the Hutton Unit would be a good place to start...if you go in the gate at the Hutton Unit there are a lot of gravel, two lane, relatively easy to ride trails. The trails south of the blackwater river and North of boundary line road aren't too bad either.

I mention blackwater above because you don't need a permit like you do for Eglin.

Last time I checked, ATT didn't have the best coverage on Eglin.

Karick Lake is a good ride and there are some guys riding Monday, 5 Aug if you can make it.

Check out posts from VICO1...he is the unofficial asylum leader and has good info throughout the forum.
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #24574
SR56
Bullfrog

First Ride

If you are in Destin and have an Eglin Permit I'd cruise up Hwy 285 and start out on the paved roads, then clay roads, then sandy roads and as you feel more comfortable start hitting the two lane trails and then the single tracks. You could check your reception along the way. When you hit range road 213 it will be paved to the right (to DeFuniak) and dirt to the left (to hwy 85 and Duke field). Take your pick.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #24575
papa wheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
Enjoying the report Rick. Had lunch there with Rich a couple years ago, guess what he had.

Hey, who shampooed the buffalo?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #24576
SR56
Bullfrog

Eglin Permits

RJ,

Jackson Guard, for your Eglin Permit is open on Saturday 7:30-12:30 and you have to watch a short video, so I would recommend getting there by 12:15 at the latest. To save you a few bucks you could get the 10 day fishing permit which is $6. Assuming you'll only be riding on Eglin for the next 10 days. The lady that works at the desk is named Nancy, she seems a little gruff at first but if you are nice to her, she is extremely helpful.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #24577
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,528
N00b riding area

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt78203 View Post
I would like to get my first ride under my belt but I am a novice rider at best. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
The trails directly around the Hutton Unit would be a good place to start...if you go in the gate at the Hutton Unit there are a lot of gravel, two lane, relatively easy to ride trails. The trails south of the blackwater river and North of boundary line road aren't too bad either.
SR is correct on all accounts. The Hutton Unit (if the gates are open) is a great place to START your off road experience. Anywhere else has a lot of sand. Sorry but its whats around here... and lots of it.

But one you get over the huge ass pucker sand brings on ... we have great areas to ride and great folks to ride with..

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #24578
kurt78203
Batman

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
SR is correct on all accounts. The Hutton Unit (if the gates are open) is a great place to START your off road experience. Anywhere else has a lot of sand. Sorry but its whats around here... and lots of it.

But one you get over the huge ass pucker sand brings on ... we have great areas to ride and great folks to ride with..
Sounds good thanks for the input. I am going to do a little research into where to start. My only issue is I don't like riding alone is anyone from the Destin area that could go for a ride sometime and give me some pointers?? Also I was browsing around and these mounts for your phone are around $75, that seems a little steep to me so this is what I came up with. Its a military spec sealable waterproof bag plus my phone is in an outter box case. I think it will be fine for very light off road riding. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a tight budget? By the way how do you add a picture from your desktop.
kurt78203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #24579
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post

That's exactly what Robin ate! Sumbich, torturing me while I ate greens, blackeyed peas and FRENCH RIES WITH GRAVY,,,,,!

Thanks Inept! I know why you come up here for sure!

Steve, I was thinking about getting my mountain bike rims out and joining you and Barney...

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #24580
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,864
TETS Day 3 The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly on Wolfs Pen Gap..

Awoke this morning to a different scene than the last three days. It was cloudy, muggy and wet but that's just part of the fun.
We planned to head out at 8 and see if we could make it back to Ellijay in time to load up and drive home.
A quick gas up at an authentic Alpine looking BP and we were off wearing our rain suits as we headed out into the morning drizzle.

Guess what I had this time that I didn't have last year when I passed this sign at Wolfs Pen Gap??

4th gear!

There is nothing quite like riding in the mountain woods when they're wet and foggy. The traction was impeccable and the conditions a blast!

The thing that I liked most was the SMELL! You guys who have spent a lifetime in the woods know what I mean. The air as we climbed, cooled down and had a freshness that would make millions if we could just bottle it!

The mountain roads back to Ellijay were absolutely deserted so we had miles of wide turns and roosting.

We stopped a few times for photos and a quick snack.

Took us about four hours of riding to get the 92 miles back to the truck. We hit some heavy rain but it just made it more of an adventure.

Can't wait to go back in October. I think I'll take the motor home with both bikes so I can totally forget reality! Barbers and the mountains sounds good to me.....

It was great riding with our old friend Robin after his non-bike recent history.

Thanks to my good friend "nice-guy Barney" for loaning me the C60 and showing me the way last year. Your map was definitely better than mine!

It was a short trip, only four days total. But for those few days, all was well with the world from the ass-killing seat of my KTM in the mountains of NC and GA!

I look like a hunchback with my backpack under my rain suit jacket?......lol!

Rick

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!

Woods Rider screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 07:57 PM
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #24581
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Just got home and regretfully unloaded all the fun shit off the truck.

What an awesome, awesome, and awesome time! I am loving the DR. And it was perfect for this part of the TET.

Thank you Rick for letting me ride along!

Country Fried Steak is the breakfast of champions. Though I'm not much of a champion, I do aspire!

We need to do this again, as soon as possible!

r_bin screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 08:40 PM
r_bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #24582
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,967
Glad you guys are having fun. I'm looking forward to Barber's in October. Thinking about going up earlier in the week and riding Cheaha, taking in the Wellborn Muscle Car Museum and having lunch at the Rocket in J'ville!!

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #24583
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,528
Several have asked me about Sunday...

I am NOT going to be there.

Here is coords on Beaver Tank 30 35.902 & 86 48.710 This is just one creek crossing from the Helos .... if the helos are still there. They move em in and out. Only one there several weeks ago...

Yall have fun and dont wear out RJ... we are suppose to ride Monday...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #24584
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
RJ,

Jackson Guard, for your Eglin Permit is open on Saturday 7:30-12:30 and you have to watch a short video, so I would recommend getting there by 12:15 at the latest. To save you a few bucks you could get the 10 day fishing permit which is $6. Assuming you'll only be riding on Eglin for the next 10 days. The lady that works at the desk is named Nancy, she seems a little gruff at first but if you are nice to her, she is extremely helpful.
Funny you say "She is a little gruff"
I called the other day after Vico1 said they are open on Saturday.
I asked can I get a permit over the computer and watch the video?
Whoops wrong thing to say, she gave me the text book answer of what I will do to get the permit! Yes ma'am!
:)
I'm about as easy going as they get, makes my wife mad that nothing upsets me.
Except today !!! I wake up with a gout flare in my foot! Stupid red meat at the BBQ joint! Grrr you gout people understand my pain, who knows I might have riding boot on one foot and a unlaced tennis shoe on the other trying to throttle through the sand!!! Lol!
No meat or seafood until next Tuesday or at least try!
Bring on the cherry juice and baking soda!! 1/2 teaspoon in 8 oz water kills the pain take it at night :)

Sent from inside of my Man Cave to outer space then back to your space.
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #24585
Rusty Jug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Vico,
This big boy will be ready for Monday!
Hot tub Sunday night with my cherry juice flowing!

Sent from inside of my Man Cave to outer space then back to your space.
Rusty Jug is offline   Reply With Quote