User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #25471
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 321
Hutton Gate

I think the Hutton Gate closes 1 Oct...can't remember for sure but almost everything else in the Blackwater State Forest is open year round so don't let the closure of one small area stop you from riding.
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #25472
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
I think the Hutton Gate closes 1 Oct...can't remember for sure but almost everything else in the Blackwater State Forest is open year round so don't let the closure of one small area stop you from riding.
Good to know- I believe I asked here earlier and someone mentioned Oct 1st. Ive ridden in Blackwater a bit and love it there, so no worries there

That one small area ive heard is great and ld like to give it a shot before she closes up.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #25473
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,741
Black Water Riding

When I first starting riding Black Water I rode south of HW4 and was not that impressed. Lots of sand and boring roads. However, I discovered that the further north you go the better it is. Try riding up around Hurricane Lake and you will see a very different forest road. Mostly clay and hardpack rather than deep sugar sand. Yes a little more prone to mud (watch out for the gray owl shit) but a blast to ride and some great places to rest by the lakes and many creek crossings.

Hutton is a GREAT place for n00bs who need to get some basic dirt riding experience. Gravel rather than sand etc. But Hutton is also a good place to start and then head NORTH for the good stuff.

I prefer starting up at Karick Lake (north east part of BW) where you are already in the good stuff...

IMHO

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #25474
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Cooler temps forecasted for this weekend. If all goes well I could make my return on the range with you FF's... Look out..
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #25475
Down2ride
Dude

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Now I remember. He was with Scott ... another long time rider from the past. I was surprised to see a KTM parked at Sea Side. Then I looked an saw Scott (on a KLR) and Ted drinking a beer. That's the way to dual sport. We ate at Bud & Alleys watched the sunset and when we left they were still there drinking beer - maybe the same one since Scott is a KLR rider.

Small world.

Come on out and join us. If you don't have a way to haul come over to my house and ride with me to meet up. You would LOVE Blackwater.
Well, I am feeling way more confident in my riding...not a pro, but should be squared away. Finally got myself a bike hauler for cheap price with ramp, so destinations are endless. Let me know a time and date and if availability is good will be there.
Down2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #25476
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
... Im thinking about a DR/WR or DR/KLX350 combo myself.

Anyone here have the tools to split the case of a DR650? Gonna rebuild before SA..
If the WRR is in your sights, and you have any questions...

What tools would you need for the DR650 Case ?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #25477
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
If the WRR is in your sights, and you have any questions...

What tools would you need for the DR650 Case ?
There isnt much to ask really- the bike is a compromise like anything else but it isnt spoken so highly of by those who ride them for no reason. It has it all, but it does have a power output that I am not used to. I have always been a lugger in cars and on bikes, so that is really the only question mark I have. I love my DR and it was perfect for my trip, but id like to have a lighter compliment for a trip to colorado next season and for when the DR is tore down for rebuild and inevitably waiting on parts. As to whether or not it will work for me, only plonking down the cash and giving it a shot will answer that question. If it doesnt, im sure I could sell it for not much less than I paid for it. I am a slowburner so a KTM would be wasted on me.

As for the splitting the DRs cases, I know I will need a flywheel puller and some contraption to actually split the cases. I figured if anyone around here had rebuilt one theyd know what I need, but I still need to look into it. I have no cars now and only have my two bikes, so I need to make sure I have everything straight before I tear one apart.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #25478
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Last time at R&R they had a used '08 WR250R in the back they were selling for a customer. They said it was very low miles, unmolested, owned by a man in his 70's.
Don't have a flywheel puller and never split a case, so not sure if I could improvise or not, like you having not done before scratching my head.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #25479
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,173
Quote:
Last time at R&R they had a used '08 WR250R in the back they were selling for a customer. They said it was very low miles, unmolested, owned by a man in his 70's.
Don't have a flywheel puller and never split a case, so not sure if I could improvise or not, like you having not done before scratching my head.
Wonder if that is Melvin's WR250
He's mentioned to me for a couple years about selling it to thin his fleet of motorcycles a bit because it hardly ever gets ridden.

If it is,,,it's in great condition.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #25480
Gimmee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
down2ride pm sent
Gimmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #25481
SingleTrackJeff
Lurker and Hangaround

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
There isnt much to ask really- the bike is a compromise like anything else but it isnt spoken so highly of by those who ride them for no reason. It has it all, but it does have a power output that I am not used to. I have always been a lugger in cars and on bikes, so that is really the only question mark I have. I love my DR and it was perfect for my trip, but id like to have a lighter compliment for a trip to colorado next season and for when the DR is tore down for rebuild and inevitably waiting on parts. As to whether or not it will work for me, only plonking down the cash and giving it a shot will answer that question. If it doesnt, im sure I could sell it for not much less than I paid for it. I am a slowburner so a KTM would be wasted on me.

As for the splitting the DRs cases, I know I will need a flywheel puller and some contraption to actually split the cases. I figured if anyone around here had rebuilt one theyd know what I need, but I still need to look into it. I have no cars now and only have my two bikes, so I need to make sure I have everything straight before I tear one apart.
Not sure if you have checked this thread but if there is an answer out there to what you need to split your cases I would try this.

DR 650 thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295

If you don't mind let me know what you find out may need to get into my 650 soon ( shifting issues )
SingleTrackJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #25482
slomo510
what to ride today?

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Wonder if that is Melvin's WR250
He's mentioned to me for a couple years about selling it to thin his fleet of motorcycles a bit because it hardly ever gets ridden.

If it is,,,it's in great condition.
Yes, that's Melvin's WR...

Sperz - You have a PM
WERA#510
2013 R1200GSW

slomo510 screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 09:23 AM
slomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #25483
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Heads up.

Ural, KTM, guns for sale.
Will be a pretty labor intensive affair to liquidate much (most) of my belongings, so please serious inquiries or referrals only.
Pretty diversified mass of belongings. Ask I might have it.
Will be hard to reach and busy sorting out related details, PM works best.
Everything is OK. No not dying.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #25484
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Ural, KTM, guns for sale.
Will be a pretty labor intensive affair to liquidate much (most) of my belongings, so please serious inquiries or referrals only.
Pretty diversified mass of belongings. Ask I might have it.
Will be hard to reach and busy sorting out related details, PM works best.
Everything is OK. No not dying.
KTM?

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #25485
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomike14 View Post
KTM?
2013 350 EXC-F with about 360 miles. Lots of upgrades. PM for details. Will try to reply this evening after I dig up receipts and narrow down a ball park figure.