Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #25906
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 799
I do not like green eggs and ham (well the ham is ok but those green eggs are another thing).

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #25907
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 259
Green Eggs

Most of you have probably done this but just in case...next time you read Dr. Seuss to your kids or grandkids, take a little blue food coloring and put in the scrambled eggs while cooking. You will have GREEN eggs.

Guess I am just still 5 years old mentally, too bad my body doesn't heal like it did when I was 5.
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #25908
RHM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Do you think this proposal is good for Blackwater?

PLEASE READ Do You Think This May Place BlackwaterForest is At Risk?
First and foremost I am Pro Military. I wanted to join the Navy flight progam straight out of college but was denied due to medical reasons.

The program they are proposing is called GRASI and it started out as an air corridor from around Apalachicola to Mississippi, perhaps further east or west I don't recall the details but I was 100% in support of it.

Now they are proposing ground operations and anyone who uses, lives in or adjoins Blackwater needs to know what is coming down the pipe. I recently attended a meeting by Tom Ledew, the Forester in charge of Blackwater and he outlined the plan. Neither he nor the recent article in the PNJ http://www.pnj.com/article/20131020/NEWS10/310200028/ said they tried the same thing in Franklin county and it was turned down stone cold.

The same proposal for Tates Hell (east of Tyndal) was shot down by the County Commissioners, the Chamber of Commerce and the Economic Development Commission. There was an overwhelming public outcry against GRASI when it came to light over there. Again, they want to take GRASI and expand it to ground based operations in Blackwater.

The link for GRASI can be found here: http://grasi.saiceemg.com/documents/...13_TOPRESS.pdf
http://grasi.leidoseemg.com/.

You will have to create an account to access the proposal (may have to copy and paste the link) which largely fcuses on the environment. Some of the highlights of what are proposed are as follows along with the reference pages on the GRASI documents:
  1. Nightime driving of ATV type vehicles and humvees. Roads used for this activity will be temporarily closed. Page 6
  2. Flying helicopters near treetop level. Page 5
  3. Forward air refueling point/Hot gas Operations. This involves transfer of aircraft to aircraft or or refueling to aircraft with the aircraft engines running.Page 6
  4. One existing airfield would be utilized (Munson Field behind Krul Lake which is currently designated for public use) and two dirt roads are proposed as airstrips. Page 5
  5. Establishing up to 12 radar, telemetry, and training emitter sites to throughout northwest Florida (note to be powered by existing electricity or generators). Pages 2-3
  6. Propose establishing helicopter landing and drop zones, airstrips and a number of different land and air training activities. Page 4
  7. Fixed wing aircraft takeoff and landing training. Aircraft would fly from the surface to approximately 3,000 feet. Page 5
  8. Movement of personnel on foot across land areas from one location to another, on or off roads or on unimproved trails, crossing of streams and wetland areas. Page 6
  9. Opposing forces, two teams competing to locate each other on established roads in a simulated urban environment. Personnel may exit vehicles to conduct search activities.
  10. Overwater hoist operations..involves hoist, rescue and recovery of personnel and watercraft over water, just above the surface of the water to a height of about 150 feet. Page 7
There is no mention as to the maximum number of operations, personnel, vehicles, times or dates when the forest would be utilized.The Forestry Service will have some say in operations. Page 4

There is a public hearing scheduled for this some time in December but the date has yet to be set. This may be the best thing since sliced bread but I can tell you the folks at McCranies store (Ruths) have no clue about this other than what I have casually mentioned to them.

Obviously I do not post much but I wanted to get the boards take on this. I hope I do not get flamed for this.
RHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #25909
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHM View Post
First and foremost I am Pro Military. I wanted to join the Navy flight progam straight out of college but was denied due to medical reasons.

The program they are proposing is called GRASI and it started out as an air corridor from around Apalachicola to Mississippi, perhaps further east or west I don't recall the details but I was 100% in support of it.

Now they are proposing ground operations and anyone who uses, lives in or adjoins Blackwater needs to know what is coming down the pipe. I recently attended a meeting by Tom Ledew, the Forester in charge of Blackwater and he outlined the plan. Neither he nor the recent article in the PNJ http://www.pnj.com/article/20131020/NEWS10/310200028/ said they tried the same thing in Franklin county and it was turned down stone cold.

The same proposal for Tates Hell (east of Tyndal) was shot down by the County Commissioners, the Chamber of Commerce and the Economic Development Commission. There was an overwhelming public outcry against GRASI when it came to light over there. Again, they want to take GRASI and expand it to ground based operations in Blackwater.

The link for GRASI can be found here: http://grasi.saiceemg.com/documents/...13_TOPRESS.pdf

You will have to create an account to access the proposal (may have to copy and paste the link) which largely fcuses on the environment. Some of the highlights of what are proposed are as follows along with the reference pages on the GRASI documents:
  1. Nightime driving of ATV type vehicles and humvees. Roads used for this activity will be temporarily closed. Page 6
  3. Forward air refueling point/Hot gas Operations. This involves transfer of aircraft to aircraft or or refueling to aircraft with the aircraft engines running.Page 6
  4. One existing airfield would be utilized (Munson Field behind Krul Lake which is currently designated for public use) and two dirt roads are proposed as airstrips. Page 5
  5. Establishing up to 12 radar, telemetry, and training emitter sites to throughout northwest Florida (note to be powered by existing electricity or generators). Pages 2-3
  6. Propose establishing helicopter landing and drop zones, airstrips and a number of different land and air training activities. Page 4
  7. Fixed wing aircraft takeoff and landing training. Aircraft would fly from the surface to approximately 3,000 feet. Page 5
  8. Movement of personnel on foot across land areas from one location to another, on or off roads or on unimproved trails, crossing of streams and wetland areas. Page 6
  9. Opposing forces, two teams competing to locate each other on established roads in a simulated urban environment. Personnel may exit vehicles to conduct search activities.
  10. Overwater hoist operations..involves hoist, rescue and recovery of personnel and watercraft over water, just above the surface of the water to a height of about 150 feet. Page 7
There is no mention as to the maximum number of operations, personnel, vehicles, times or dates when the forest would be utilized.The Forestry Service will have some say in operations. Page 4

There is a public hearing scheduled for this some time in December but the date has yet to be set. This may be the best thing since sliced bread but I can tell you the folks at McCranies store (Ruths) have no clue about this other than what I have casually mentioned to them.

Obviously I do not post much but I wanted to get the boards take on this. I hope I do not get flamed for this.
I hate to be the cynical chucklehead to respond but... the decision will be based upon which one of the gubmint (local, state, and federal) assholes decides to provide the maximum gain for the county on which the said area is affected. **NOTE: This can be copy/pasted on any of the states facing the same BS concerning local riding areas. I know the areas are supposedly owned by the "taxpayers" but... that's a bunch of crap. I wish I could be less cynical but observing WTF has been going on... well... you decide for yourself. I reckon the only way we "the people" can get our way is to vote the jackasses out of office. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has OK'd the use of unlimited corporate funds to be routed to the jackasses that are currently in office. Soooo... in the short & long term we're fooked! Enjoy the riding areas while we have them. I'll be tearing up the BW area in a couple of weeks with Buzz and a few other chuckleheads. that fooker better show up or else i'm buying the wee for 1/2 of retail

BTW... welcome!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #25910
RHM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Dr. Z posted:

I reckon the only way we "the people" can get our way is to vote the jackasses out of office. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has OK'd the use of unlimited corporate funds to be routed to the jackasses that are currently in office.

Yep and the Department of Agriculture is all in so is Gov. Scott.

IF there is enough public outcry it may could be stopped like in Tates Hell but I ain't holding my breath. I've had to take on FDOT a few times and there is nothing like a room of people opposed to a project to get their attention. I am afraid we may be too late on this.

RHM
RHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #25911
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHM View Post

Excellent post sir! Thank you for the info!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #25912
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,532
Cheaha Weekend

Just got back from another 4 day weekend at Cheaha State Park. Great riding and great weather. Short video will follow later this week after I recover.

Looks like things were quiet around here.

Ok guys TT V is in two weeks so everyone get ready.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #25913
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Just got back from another 4 day weekend at Cheaha State Park. Great riding and great weather. Short video will follow later this week after I recover.

Looks like things were quiet around here.

Ok guys TT V is in two weeks so everyone get ready.
It was a great trip, broken ignition cover and all!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #25914
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,717
After riding the Dragon and it's 318 curves in 11 mile's. I have decided that we needed some thing like that in South Alabama. (ROLL TIDE)
So I have come up with what I'm calling the --Yard Stick --.
Gulf Shores to Stapleton it's has 14 gentle curves in 36 miles, but you only really
only notice 4 of them if your'e paying attention and know were they at.

Probably going to have t-shirts and stickers made up and set up a road side stand and have photographers at the curves to take action shots that you can buy online.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #25915
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 701
Latest on Whiting Field/Clear Creek Riding Area

Here is the latest info on the Whiting Field OHV/Clear Creek Riding Area:

From Wayne Briske:
"As we are nearing completion of the Clear Creek Off Highway Riding Area we are in DIRE NEED of volunteers!! We have been asked by the Forest Service to complete the North Trail section by the end of November. So we will be working every weekend in November and are asking that each of you consider giving a little bit of your time.

This Sunday 11/3/13 starting at 9:00AM we will be working on these trails. I know some of you have requested Saturday hours or later Sunday hours. We offered a couple of Saturday's and unfortunately the turnout was very low so we are going to stick to Sunday's. I know many people attend church on Sunday morning so that also creates a conflict. To that I would say that we will be working well into the afternoon in an effort to get these trails completed.

Please DO NOT BRING ATV's or MOTORCYCLES to these workdays. The Forestry Service has a lot of heavy equipment on site and are concerned about liability and accidents since the park isn't completely finished and open to the public yet. We CAN however use our trucks to access the property. There are enough access roads and fence-line roads that we should be able to get the trucks very close to the work area. (Which will actually work out better for carrying our tools, water and other materials with us)

AN UPDATE AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON!!

Many people have asked what is going on and why have we started, stopped and changed direction so many times. The simple answer is that there were "too many chief's and not enough Indians" in the process to use an old saying. At this point we have been assigned a Project Manager (Keith Bettcher) from the Forestry Service and our group has appointed me (Wayne Briske) to be the OHV representative. By having ONE person at the Forestry Division and ONE person from our group we can stay focused and discuss things in a more controlled manner. The North Trails need to be completed, the FFS is currently working on all of the signage for the property.

Once all of that work is completed there must be an inspection by the representative from the Recreational Trails Program (grant coordinator). Since these are Federal gas tax dollars that support the grants and it is administered through the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) we must comply with the standards that were established when we originally applied for the funding.

This FEDERAL agency (The RTP/DEP) MUST sign off on the park as being "completed" before the Florida Forest Service can move forward. I know it is somewhat confusing and has been MUCH SLOWER than we all hoped for but we really do have the finish line in site. The fact that we have a deadline of trail completion of the end of November is actually a good thing. IN ORDER TO MEET THAT DEADLINE WE ABSOLUTELY NEED SOME HELP. PLEASE CONSIDER COMING OUT FOR A FEW HOURS TO HELP.

You can email me with any questions or concerns.

Thanks in advance for your help."

OK peeps. Lets see some folks that have been complaining about no place to ride STEP UP and do the right thing--SHOW UP to help.

Also, when this park is open, it will be an area to ride a motorcycle that does NOT have to be street legal, or have a license plate, but WILL have to be titled and noise compliant.
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #25916
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
[QUOTE
Also, when this park is open, it will be an area to ride a motorcycle that does NOT have to be street legal, or have a license plate, but WILL have to be titled and noise compliant.[/B][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I can see this always being an issue. When you say noise compliant, are certain decibel limits going to be imposed? And if so, how will you measure it? I can only hope that a decibel meter will be used since this can be grounds for someone filing a complaint or lawsuit that this is not being met.. The human ear will not have any legal weight in the courtroom. So I hope that we (florida) will ensure that we test properly. Noise is the number one problem that can kill this OHV project in an instant.

What we need to bring for working on the trails?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #25917
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #25918
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post

oh and the dB meter has already been purchased.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #25919
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestrider View Post
After riding the Dragon and it's 318 curves in 11 mile's. I have decided that we needed some thing like that in South Alabama. (ROLL TIDE)
Gulf Shores to Stapleton it's has 14 gentle curves in 36 miles, but you only really

Probably going to have t-shirts and stickers made up and set up a road side stand and have photographers at the curves to take action shots that you can buy online.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #25920
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestrider View Post

Solid business plan with unlimited potential. When is the IPO scheduled?

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote