Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #26596
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Some JB weld & safety wire and your good... the rest you can buff out! i reckon you're not supposed to power wheelie on a Ural
Agreed !
Saving those supplies for non-warranty issues though.
VERY glad this did NOT happen while Vic had it with his grand-daughter riding shotgun..... There is a God.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 AM   #26597
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,670
Polar Bear Rally

Big turn out. Will post vids soon. Only 5 PARs here.
Great riding so far.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #26598
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Tstorms here, lots more heading this way. Those guys at HLC are going to get slammed today with rain/mud.

On a sad not, one motorcycle rider was killed on the Dakar yesterday.
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/daka...3482--spt.html

Everyone be safe out there.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #26599
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Big turn out. Will post vids soon. Only 5 PARs here.
Great riding so far.
Vico1...where is the Polar Bear rally? Always looking for future outings, Thanks.
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia
SR56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #26600
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
Vico1...where is the Polar Bear rally? Always looking for future outings, Thanks.
Not Vico1 (of course), but you can find all the info and more here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920957

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #26601
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 294
Polar Bear

Thanks...looks like a possibility next year.
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia
SR56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #26602
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Decided to take advantage of the nice weather and go for a ride on the FJR. Nice 60 mile loop......:)

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #26603
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Didn't want little bike to feel neglected. Easy dirt loop near the house....:)

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #26604
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post
Those guys at HLC are going to get slammed today with rain/mud.
So YOU'RE the one who cursed us!

It was indeed a sloppy mess out there. Rain or shine the show went on, even with one squall line pushing rain sideways and so loud we couldn't hear anything. That's how you know we love this sport.

All in all a good day, a good refresher for me, and a reminder that I am still terrible at wheelies. Working on that.

Now to sleep like the dead.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #26605
OrangeGarrett
Ride'n With Rupert

Oddometer: 425
Riding School

Yeah, I'm afraid MM400 put the mo jo on us. Or maybe it was the mo fo. Anyway, I learned alot at my first ever dirt riding school. Let's see...

I learned that: my mind is alot younger than my body- after seven hours of being wet, cold, hot, sweaty, wet, cold, tired, hot, fatigued, it's hard to just hold onto a steering wheel to drive home. There is "no such thing as mud in Florida" That when I continue to ride in a fatigued state, shit happens. That pretty much ALL injuries from 58 years of abuse WILL show up. That "serious" pain killers where used on the drive home. That my mind can replay certain thoughts like, "WTF was i thinking?" over and over and .... That people from Wales talk funny.

But hey, other than that, I had a great time and enjoyed hanging with Hatch, Etingelefunts, Rotor, Dirtwoman, Morris and all the other FF's.

Oh Yeah! And I don't keep my right foot over the brake, I don't keep a finger on the controls at ALL times, I look just beyond my front wheel, I don't have my elbows out far enough when standing and leaning toward the bars in a "press-up" position. (push-up if you aint from Wales) I sit down 90% of the time and should stand 90% of the time. I can't "rail a log" in a standing position worth a shit. (Hatch can) (little bastard) All in all, I got my monies worth and then some.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #26606
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeGarrett View Post
Yeah, I'm afraid MM400 put the mo jo on us. Or maybe it was the mo fo. Anyway, I learned alot at my first ever dirt riding school. Let's see...

I learned that: my mind is alot younger than my body- after seven hours of being wet, cold, hot, sweaty, wet, cold, tired, hot, fatigued, it's hard to just hold onto a steering wheel to drive home. There is "no such thing as mud in Florida" That when I continue to ride in a fatigued state, shit happens. That pretty much ALL injuries from 58 years of abuse WILL show up. That "serious" pain killers where used on the drive home. That my mind can replay certain thoughts like, "WTF was i thinking?" over and over and .... That people from Wales talk funny.

But hey, other than that, I had a great time and enjoyed hanging with Hatch, Etingelefunts, Rotor, Dirtwoman, Morris and all the other FF's.

Oh Yeah! And I don't keep my right foot over the brake, I don't keep a finger on the controls at ALL times, I look just beyond my front wheel, I don't have my elbows out far enough when standing and leaning toward the bars in a "press-up" position. (push-up if you aint from Wales) I sit down 90% of the time and should stand 90% of the time. I can't "rail a log" in a standing position worth a shit. (Hatch can) (little bastard) All in all, I got my monies worth and then some.
That last part sounds somewhat suggestive..

the "grinding" exercise is one of the best things in that class - once you learn to apply that to ruts, you'll have an infinitely easier time dealing with ruts.. unlike morris

I definitely think ya got your money's worth - fact is you learned a lot about where you are in your skillz standings, and a good idea of where you'd like to be, and how to get there. may require more "prescription strength painkillers."
the ones that get the most from the classes are the ones who really push themselves outta their comfort zone - and by push I mean completely throw out all reservations..

I know there was interest in holding a "refresher" type class where we all get together and try to recreate the exercises we did yesterday - maybe the 25th when we go back to HLC?

The pressups confused me too. at least he wasn't speakin pikey

btw, ol JT is a fast mofo
http://youtu.be/WRK6-kEWefY
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #26607
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 725
Thumb Snatch!

[QUOTE=Hatch;23200452]That last part sounds somewhat suggestive..
The pressups confused me too. at least he wasn't speakin pikey

Hah! One of my favorite movies.

Sounds like you guys got some good stuff! Excellent! Wish I coulda partaken.
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #26608
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeGarrett View Post
Oh yea I remember that from my MX days, stand up in the straights and sit in the corners.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #26609
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 800
What did I learn....?
  • Stand up for so long so often that the empirical value of sitting becomes deeply reinforced.
  • Ride even though something aches, do it right and ride hard, hurt something new that helps you forget allllll about your previous aches. Lather rinse repeat next ride thank you please drive through.
  • Tinted goggle suck in rain
  • You can have all the chocolate covered almonds you want if you sneeze on the container.
  • I rode so good I got TWO certificates, and got renamed studly Jeremy on the other one.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #26610
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,670
Lessons learned!

You guys are a hoot.

I love the self induced misery driven from the innate desire to achieve and overcome (you may want to insert dominate and win). You were exposed to TWO things... riding techniques and (most importantly) a riding mind set. You have been challenged and you know what it takes to achieve. While you may have sharpened your riding skills more on a sunny dry day... you would not have learned the really important thing... you can fucking do anything!!!

When the pain killer skick in, and the shower warms the body, and the mind relaxes - you can smile and KNOW you have achieved something truly worthwhile.

BRAVO to all you who endured.

At some point you will have to LEARN about racing! That is quite another story.

BTW - there was an old story about a one of the famous long endurance races where rains DNFed hundreds. A writer from Cycle News interviewed the overall winner and asked "What skill would you say helped you finish such a grueling race?"

The rider looked at him in amazement and said "SKILL had absolutely nothing to do with it?"

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote