Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #27076
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 377
Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid=mark View Post
What the latest scoop on the lightweight batteries? I think the Hussie batt is getting a little weak--didn't hold a charge worth a crap on Monday's ride...

I have gotten mixed reviews on the performance of those batteries. Some need a special charger as well? And then there is the $$$ factor.

Just my two cents from researching batteries recently...I would recommend a Sealed Lead Acid "SLA". Advantages: No special charger required, just about the least expensive option available, reasonable discharge rate when not in use, good capacity to start your scoot, etc.

There are lighter and more powerful batteries out there but none that match all of the advantages of the SLA IMHO.

I found a web site that had a great deal on SLA batteries recently and they used a picture of a YUSA on their site although they didn't actually ship a YUSA brand when you ordered. I unknowingly sent a price match request to Bike Bandit and they matched the low price and sent me a YUSA battery (actually I bought 2). Might be worth a shot if you need enough stuff to avoid the shipping fee.
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #27077
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 475
If you want to lose weight and forget about the battery, lithium is the way to go. I've had mine in two motorcycles now and have never put it on charge; over a year and a half now.

The dis-charge rate is ridiculous. 10% a year when static. At a max charge of 14.4 volts you'll lose 1.4 volts over the year. Who can't crank their bike on 13 volts after it sits for a year. If you can't it won't be the batteries fault.

If you need to charge it you can use a normal charger but you have to monitor it and you can't charge it in any automatic mode. Auto mode in normal chargers cuts off at around 12.8 volts, you're lithium will never charge because the resting charge is 13.2-13.7. Use your normal charger and a volt meter to turn it off at the batteries max, usually around 14.4.

The battery instruction will tell you everything you need to know.

As for price, yup they're up there. Rocky Mountain is the cheapest I've found at $143. No that was not a typo, $143. If you go that route I'd stay away from Ballistic. Gimmee and Mike each had one fail. Mine has been okay but Ballistic has bad reviews compared to Shorai. If I could do it again I'd get the Shorai.

On a side note, I think I'll try to use one more Smilie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid=mark View Post
What the latest scoop on the lightweight batteries? I think the Hussie batt is getting a little weak--didn't hold a charge worth a crap on Monday's ride...

I have gotten mixed reviews on the performance of those batteries. Some need a special charger as well? And then there is the $$$ factor.
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #27078
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
If you want to lose weight and forget about the battery, lithium is the way to go. I've had mine in two motorcycles now and have never put it on charge; over a year and a half now.

The dis-charge rate is ridiculous. 10% a year when static. At a max charge of 14.4 volts you'll lose 1.4 volts over the year. Who can't crank their bike on 13 volts after it sits for a year. If you can't it won't be the batteries fault.

If you need to charge it you can use a normal charger but you have to monitor it and you can't charge it in any automatic mode. Auto mode in normal chargers cuts off at around 12.8 volts, you're lithium will never charge because the resting charge is 13.2-13.7. Use your normal charger and a volt meter to turn it off at the batteries max, usually around 14.4.

The battery instruction will tell you everything you need to know.

As for price, yup they're up there. Rocky Mountain is the cheapest I've found at $143. No that was not a typo, $143. If you go that route I'd stay away from Ballistic. Gimmee and Mike each had one fail. Mine has been okay but Ballistic has bad reviews compared to Shorai. If I could do it again I'd get the Shorai.

I knew Mike had one fail, didn't know Gimmee did too, hmm
Old 02-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #27079
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,909
Great bike for my Pemsacola FF's

This is my sons bike. It's only got about 70 hours on it and suspension from Bob Riker. I figured I'd let you guys have first crack at it before it goes on ebay and elsewhere.

Has a Missouri title that does not say off road only so it can be titled and dualsported.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/4344276329.html

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #27080
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 804
Eh? Batteries Batteries and more Batteries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
If you want to lose weight and forget about the battery, lithium is the way to go.

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! U Funny RH!

I am leaning towards the LiFePO4 batts. --Studying up on them today since it's the monsoon from hell ALL DAY!!!

PS: Nice bike Rick! Good price for tagable 450!
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #27081
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 377
More Batteries

Here is a good thread with some info, including LiFePO4...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757934.

I remember now why I went with SLA instead of AGM back when I was looking for a battery for "My" scoot. I have a 6V system and that severely limited my options. Lots of options for 12V bikes...and one day I'll get me one of those new fangled bikes with twice the voltage. Stayed with the 6V to keep everything original.
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #27082
mikej55
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 71
Hey Hatch, how about a report on the Cherokee Enduro. How was it and how did you do!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #27083
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej55 View Post
Hey Hatch, how about a report on the Cherokee Enduro. How was it and how did you do!
Hey Mike!
I posted in the chuckleheads thread but I'll recap: durhamtown sucks, and the cherokee enduro was TOUGH because of muddy roots, managed a 4th place where many DNF'ed.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #27084
mikej55
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
Hey Mike!
I posted in the chuckleheads thread but I'll recap: durhamtown sucks, and the cherokee enduro was TOUGH because of muddy roots, managed a 4th place where many DNF'ed.
Hey, its always good just if you can finish! I see Dan Walker went with you. He is definitely "hard core"!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #27085
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,091
You aint kiddin! Unfortunately he banged his knee pretty good so he didn't get to finish..
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #27086
GDUB77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Ride this weekend??

Anyone what to go to HLC this weekend???

'09 KTM 400 XC-W. Sold
'13 KTM 450 XC-F.
GDUB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #27087
alanparrott2526
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'll be camping/riding hlc all weekend!
alanparrott2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #27088
GDUB77
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanparrott2526 View Post
I'll be camping/riding hlc all weekend!
Sweet. Not sure which day I will be heading up. Let me know what spot or what ever and I will come by

'09 KTM 400 XC-W. Sold
'13 KTM 450 XC-F.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #27089
alanparrott2526
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Cool, I have a white jeep Cherokee ridin an xr650. Meeting some other guys too. Get a little race goin on one of the tracks.
alanparrott2526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #27090
GDUB77
Adventurer

I have a white F250 and a lil orange 400. Think I'm leaning more towards Saturday what time do u think u guys will start?

'09 KTM 400 XC-W. Sold
'13 KTM 450 XC-F.