Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,994
one way to spend easter...

Old 04-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #27632
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,831
What part of Texas... I used to live in Ft Worth and that country looks similar.

Looks like you had fun.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #27633
C-note4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
KTM for DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-note4 View Post
I'm getting into more trail riding than street riding so I'm thinking about replacing my KLR 650 with something from KTM. I'm leaning toward the 500 exc because it's a lot lighter than the klr but still street legal. Does anyone have direct experience on the 500? Or can the KTM 450 be made street legal? I'd like to ride Eglin, Blackwater, or even just hit some of the trails and jumps at the local atv park but my beloved KLR is way too heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Yes there are 5 or 6 of us with the newer KTMs. You will not find a better street legal dirt bike. However, if you need transport on the street they are minimal IMHO. Oh there are some on the thread that say the 500s are good on the road too....but they are still dirt bikes no matter how much you try.
That is why almost all KTMs are TRANSPORTED to the riding area.

Plenty of good real DS bikes out there as mentioned on previous threads.
I have a DR650 for any with pavement and dirt.

Good luck and hope to ride with you soon.
I got to see the 500 EXC at a dealership near New Orleans over the weekend, it definitely has the look and feel of the "Last Dirt Bike I'll Ever Have To Buy" about it. I was surprised at the seat height, I'm 5'10" 185lbs and could just barely reach the floor with both feet when I sat on it. Tippy-toes are fine on level ground but I'm concerned about stopping on an angle in the woods one day. Is 5-10 too short for this bike? If anyone is planning to ride this weekend someplace whereI might be able to see a working KTM setup please drop me a line. I live near Mobile, AL so I can get to Eglin or Blackwater pretty easily.
C-note4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #27634
papa wheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Just wanted to let everyone know I have a nice 09 250 xcf with works suspension, stabilizer, 280 kit with balanced crank, ported and polished head, all trick carb parts, tubeless tires, tall firm seat and more. for 2900.00 and my buddy has a nice 2012 350 xcf with street title, with all the trick crap on it including recluse and just about everything else you can put on one if anyone knows someone looking.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #27635
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
I got to see the 500 EXC at a dealership near New Orleans over the weekend, it definitely has the look and feel of the "Last Dirt Bike I'll Ever Have To Buy" about it. I was surprised at the seat height, I'm 5'10" 185lbs and could just barely reach the floor with both feet when I sat on it. Tippy-toes are fine on level ground but I'm concerned about stopping on an angle in the woods one day. Is 5-10 too short for this bike? If anyone is planning to ride this weekend someplace whereI might be able to see a working KTM setup please drop me a line. I live near Mobile, AL so I can get to Eglin or Blackwater pretty easily.
Ahhh yea they are tall. I'm right at 6ft and I struggle to get my leg over it. But worth it for the suspension and feel. You can adjust sag and other tricks to get it lower.

You might also consider your riding skill level. The 5Hunny is the top of the food chain and can be a handful. With the twist of the throttle this bike will take you to oblivion and beyond!

Im out for a few weeks and taking time to rework by Hunny. Close to 3k on her now and I still get a kick out of riding it. Especially at Perry Mountain...

Anyway good luck.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #27636
OrangeGarrett
Ride'n With Rupert

Oddometer: 585
Track Days @ Jennings

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
I ruined my right flip-off finger extensor, burst my starboard clavicle, roasted four of my metacarpals, knackered my new helmet, fuct my leathers, boogered my gixer 600, and had to have my buds call my spousal unit on Turn 14 at Jennings, to say little of my concussion and staggering Duece Ambulance bill, and lastly and most importantly, my introduction to invervenous administered morphine, which is enough to make you believe there is a god. (all the nurses lost forty pounds and so did I)

Check your tire pressures before you proceed, children, and
may the devil take the hindermost. Any way, fukkit, you're a tough bastard, no?
Hal, I pulled up this old post of yours for a couple of reasons. You had posted this from my quote announcing the upcoming track days on Apr 19 and 20th which was this past weekend.

When I read the above post, I need to admit something. While I was impressed by your honesty, candor and details, I clearly remember thinking "what kind of idiot wads up a bike on turn 14 leading onto the straight" and for that, I apologize. You see, my body and mind are rapidly becoming older than my 59 years. Two years ago I broke a rib, cracked the one below it and dislocated the one below that one. Shortly after getting back on the bike, I broke my right tibia. Both those injuries took a long time to heal. Here's one of my many problems...whenever I allow 'my' EGO to enter the picture, all reason, intelligence, logic and common sense seem to disappear immediately.

So...having said that, I'll say this THANK YOU for the above post. I had the most fun I've ever had without taking my clothes off. Two days, many laps, nothing but fun and adrenalin. I thought about you and your post @ least once during every one of those laps. Thank you again. Then comes the mock race yesterday afternoon. I'm just gonna start at the rear of the grid and "get some track time". Rob insists that I ride his # 831 race bike. I start @ the back of the grid as planned. Due to the power and better handling than my '02 F4i 600, I start passing a few of the "slower guys" and find myself moving up thru the pack. Then several "fast dudes" blow turn one, then few more over shoot six, Hey! I'm doin pretty well here! 4th, 5th, 6th? I see Rob and the D&D guys cheering me on when I pass the white flag. EGO is creeping in a bit but I tell myself to take it easy, don't wad up this bike and get hurt. Everything is going well on my way to the checkers, then a guy passes me into 11 on a Panagale. I yell FUCK! inside my helmet and pin Rob's bike for all she's worth, we go into 12, 13, 14 with me on his rear tire. I open the throttle way sooner than all my other trips thru 14 almost getting into the grass coming out of 14, all reason and logic are GONE, he beats me to the line by a bike length (yes, I have it on Go Pro) As I'm slowing thru turn one, I'm thinking, "what kind of idiot wads up a bike in 14 coming onto the straight".

I probably got lucky, but thank you again for helping me to stay within myself for 98% of the weekend and not having to take a ride in the wambulance.

I like to joke a bit. But let me assure you, this post is completely serious.
OrangeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #27637
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,211
Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #27638
OrangeGarrett
Ride'n With Rupert

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Looks like I gotta make a trip to P'cola in the near future, probably to arrive on Sunday the 27th, tend to bidness Monday and return to TLH that evening.

Any chance of stirring up or joining a Sunday ride with any of you folks? My fast burn rides are behind me, I'm more of a moderate burn sort of dude, neither fond of nor afraid of sand.

I'd hate to get close to good riding areas w/o a sample.
Would love to meet up with you and ride Eglin or Blackwater. I'm sure others will post up as well.
OrangeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #27639
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 758
Thumb Jennings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeGarrett View Post
Hal, I pulled up this old post of yours for a couple of reasons. You had posted this from my quote announcing the upcoming track days on Apr 19 and 20th which was this past weekend.

I probably got lucky, but thank you again for helping me to stay within myself for 98% of the weekend and not having to take a ride in the wambulance.
I like to joke a bit. But let me assure you, this post is completely serious.
I was just about to give you a call on the weekend's results and this ^ pops up. Sounds like you had a great time and I am thinking it was probably a good thing I did not make it...
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #27640
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 343
Jennings and BW

I like to joke a bit. But let me assure you, this post is completely serious.[/QUOTE]

My take is if you can load up the bike and the bike isn't hurt and you aren't hurt, I would say you won!

Sounds like the fun meter stayed pretty high...we may all have to go to Jennings on a Monday (cheaper and you don't have to sign up ahead of time) this fall when the weather cools off and my knee will allow me to ride a street bike.

Road every trail/road in BW today that started with a "C", I am whipped and the bike has about 50lbs of extra mud on it. I think I am getting too old for this but if you stop you only age faster, I think VICO1 is correct.
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia

SR56 screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 07:03 PM
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #27641
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 343
Seat Heights

FYI,

The KTM XC-W two strokes have a 37.8" seat height which is the lowest of all the new KTM enduro bikes. Great bikes if you can get one tagged.

Yamaha WR250R is 36.6"

Kawasaki KLX250S is 35.0"...I am 5'11" and I can straddle this bike flat footed just barely.

All can be lowered a little bit by changing the suspension linkage but more than about an inch and you start to affect the overall suspension effectiveness.

Hope this helps someone.
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia

SR56 screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 06:56 PM
SR56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #27642
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 758
Laugh Calling C-note4 to the orange phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SIZE=4
C-note4[/SIZE];23969001]I'm getting into more trail riding than street riding so I'm thinking about replacing my KLR 650 with something from KTM. I'm leaning toward the 500 exc because it's a lot lighter than the klr but still street legal. Does anyone have direct experience on the 500? Or can the KTM 450 be made street legal? I'd like to ride Eglin, Blackwater, or even just hit some of the trails and jumps at the local atv park but my beloved KLR is way too heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SIZE=3
papa wheelie[/SIZE]]
Just wanted to let everyone know I have a nice 09 250 xcf with works suspension, stabilizer, 280 kit with balanced crank, ported and polished head, all trick carb parts, tubeless tires, tall firm seat and more. for 2900.00 and my buddy has a nice 2012 350 xcf with street title, with all the trick crap on it including recluse and just about everything else you can put on one if anyone knows someone looking...

That's my .02 worth. Good balance of power, weight, and maneuverability...
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:28 AM   #27643
C-note4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
You might also consider your riding skill level. The 5Hunny is the top of the food chain and can be a handful. With the twist of the throttle this bike will take you to oblivion and beyond!

Anyway good luck.
I hear ya, thanks. Aside from my own safety, I know someone being reckless can cause problems for everyone. I've been cave-diving for years and plenty of awesome sites are closed because others were careless and got hurt. Feels like I'm stuck between the 500 which is probably too much for the trails I ride, and the 350 which is probably not enough for what I need it to do on the road (my buddy rides a 690 enduro). Thanks to all who gave me advice!
C-note4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 AM   #27644
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
I hear ya, thanks. Aside from my own safety, I know someone being reckless can cause problems for everyone. I've been cave-diving for years and plenty of awesome sites are closed because others were careless and got hurt. Feels like I'm stuck between the 500 which is probably too much for the trails I ride, and the 350 which is probably not enough for what I need it to do on the road (my buddy rides a 690 enduro). Thanks to all who gave me advice!
You need to hook up with "HookNup" who lives in Fair Hope and has a new 5Hunny. Im sure he would let you take it for a spin.

Its been my experience that most folks who ride one buy one so be aware!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 AM   #27645
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
You need to hook up with "HookNup" who lives in Fair Hope and has a new 5Hunny. Im sure he would let you take it for a spin.

Its been my experience that most folks who ride one buy one so be aware!
That's one of the reasons I've not asked to ride one. My daughter's college fund couldn't take the hit.....

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote