Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #28396
OrangeGarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa wheelie View Post
Anyone want to ride H.L.C. sat or sun early A.M. this weekend or next?
Not this weekend, company coming in tomorrow. May be good for next weekend, will see if ankle is ready for single track by then. Was kill'n me when Skid & me was hiking round little river canyon last week.

Etingelefunts^^^^^Good call on the pic, that's exactly what they look like while peering over the fence.

Oh, and on the "OG you ain't right" comment, everybody knows that ain't exactly a News-Flash,,,,,,,,,,,,But Hey, look at the people I hang around with. How could I be anything but..............
OrangeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 AM   #28397
OrangeGarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post
Next weekend perhaps. Just got back from 4months in Africa, so this weekend is a no no..
WELCOME HOME,,,,,,,,,,,,Glad you're back safely.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 AM   #28398
snyprone
n00b

Oddometer: 8
XR 650 rebuild

So I've decided to do the rebuild myself. Any advice on what I should also replace while i'm in there? Motor has just over 24000 miles. I have a 400 dollar budget for parts.
snyprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #28399
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeGarrett View Post
WELCOME HOME,,,,,,,,,,,,Glad you're back safely.
Thanks
Check your PM..
Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #28400
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyprone View Post
So I've decided to do the rebuild myself. Any advice on what I should also replace while i'm in there? Motor has just over 24000 miles. I have a 400 dollar budget for parts.
24K aint much for one of those motors... is your problem just the countershaft?

I am not a Honda guy but HondaMudDog is. JP help this guys out.
I think JP can rebuild a Honda on the trail between smokes.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #28401
snyprone
n00b

Oddometer: 8
It's the splines. They are shot.
snyprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #28402
SR56
Bullfrog

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyprone View Post
It's the splines. They are shot.
Well I would start with the output shaft of course...then all new gaskets and O-rings. To get the output shaft out you are going to disassemble almost everything else. While it is apart I would give everything a good visual and dimensional inspection. Most Honda manuals are pretty good about listing serviceable limits. If you don't have one your first expense should be the "Honda" manual.

I would say rings are a no brainer as long as you have it that far apart...you might get away with a gasket/o ring set, rings, and an output shaft. Don't buy rings until you decide whether or not you are replacing the piston.

That is a lot of work to replace the output shaft, sure you can't figure out a work around?
T. E. Lawrence otherwise known as Lawrence of Arabia

SR56 screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 12:17 PM
SR56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #28403
OrangeGarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Todays Ride @ BW

The ride today was just a shitload of fun. SR56 brought out his 200 xcw two stroke screamer--(the horse that threw him) Skid was on the trusty DR, Ace was on his new 500 exc and me & Gimmee were aboard our 690's.

Twas a much faster pace than i expected. Didn't know Gimmee could ride a 690 that fast through the woods. Heck, when he gets that bike sorted, he might be as fast as PapaWheelie on a 690. Ah shit. I haven't even posted yet and Gimmee is calling me. Hold on, I'll be right back.............................................. ..............ok, I'm back, he just told me that he'll be the fastest guy on a ,,,,,,,,,,never mind, on with some pics. Oh, and nobody went down today.

Gimmee trying to get a head count using both hands, he still screwed it up. Hey! where's Skid?

Oh.....that's where he is

Skid rejoined the group and they still screwed up the count

Gimmee set'n Ace straight on how to read a military grid GPS,,,,,or was it the other way around

Another rest/snack stop and some BS'n

Oh no, SR just said something that reminded Gimmee of a story,,,his stories are so long, somebodies Battery could go dead.............

And the story goes on, and on, and on,,,,until a battery DID go dead

Story was so long, a whole bag of peanuts was totally consumed, THEN we push started a fuel injected bike with a dead battery,,,down the hill, up the hill and back down again. It finally fired up and we were off again.

Ride was a total hoot! Thank's guys, that's just what I needed.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #28404
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 796
Wrist update

The right wrist is reminding me of a high ankle sprain. Seems to get worse every day... (here's the part I'm looking forward to)... then suddenly... much much later like waking up from a bad dream, hopefully it will magically be all better. Doing a lot of stretching drills to keep it from getting gimpy since it has arthritic tendencies related to old adjacent wrist joint injury.

Rode to the VA Outpatient clinic today (first ride since get off) and it was bearable. Tony predicted 4 weeks... seems about right at this pace. Hoping so.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #28405
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
That is a lot of work to replace the output shaft, sure you can't figure out a work around?
How frigging bad was it to have to weld it on last time . Next question, can you grind the welds and hammer on a replacements after chasing the threads for a new nut? Possibly one with a scosh smaller thread diameter. From the sound of things you can't make it any worse by trying. How on earth does an output shaft lose its splines ? Was a wrong sized sprocket used previously?
Sounds to me like it's time for "bigger friggin hammer" mode. Even if you botch the attempt, the worst that can happen is a tear down that seems inevitable either way, and possibly postponable if Neanderthal approach works.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #28406
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeGarrett View Post
Twas a much faster pace than i expected.

I really don't want to sound shitty, but this is exactly the reason why I don't go on these rides that you guys post. I understand that you all wait for the slower riders, but pretty much the entire time anyone will be made to feel like they are slowing up the 'faster' riders. Slow burn means different things to different people.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #28407
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
I really don't want to sound shitty, but this is exactly the reason why I don't go on these rides that you guys post. I understand that you all wait for the slower riders, but pretty much the entire time anyone will be made to feel like they are slowing up the 'faster' riders. Slow burn means different things to different people.
I'll go out on a limb here. I don't know you from Adam, (maybe we've met but I stink at putting a name with a face or Avatar) but can relate to making everyone wait on me. Never caught too much flak for it, and pretty sure I felt worse about lagging behind than they did. Most times I ENJOY that dynamic since I learn my limits and on a lucky day accidentally improve . Times like this though I NEED to go slow, and would actually enjoy riding with someone who doesn't mind piddling about. So here's where I go out on a limb.... I'll ride with you, and even if my f'd up wrist hurts like hell I'll try to keep up. If you are so danged slow that you can't keep up with me... then I'd be tickled to death to be on THAT ride, knowing my wrist needs to take it easy. I expect to lose sight of you a time or twenty, either ahead or in my mirrors, but I know how to back out of it, and expect from your grievance you'd do the same if the situation is reversed.
So when and where do we ride?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #28408
TitaniumKaren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
I'll go out on a limb here. I don't know you from Adam, (maybe we've met but I stink at putting a name with a face or Avatar) but can relate to making everyone wait on me. Never caught too much flak for it, and pretty sure I felt worse about lagging behind than they did. Most times I ENJOY that dynamic since I learn my limits and on a lucky day accidentally improve . Times like this though I NEED to go slow, and would actually enjoy riding with someone who doesn't mind piddling about. So here's where I go out on a limb.... I'll ride with you, and even if my f'd up wrist hurts like hell I'll try to keep up. If you are so danged slow that you can't keep up with me... then I'd be tickled to death to be on THAT ride, knowing my wrist needs to take it easy. I expect to lose sight of you a time or twenty, either ahead or in my mirrors, but I know how to back out of it, and expect from your grievance you'd do the same if the situation is reversed.
So when and where do we ride?
TitaniumKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #28409
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumKaren View Post
Hi T.K.
Truly hope that guy takes me up on it. It had been a long time since I'd ridden when I tweaked my thumb/wrist area all to heck, and it's not gettin any cooler out. Tony and I are thinking about a true slow burn a few weeks from now too.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #28410
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 700
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
Sperz,
I have ridden with you, tho it's been a while. And while I too am not trying to be "shitty", however;

a.) Quote:"Blackwater Ride Tomorrow

Hutton @ 0900, so far it's me Skid SR56 Gimmee. Skid bringing the DR 650, I'll be on 690, SR-who knows, he's got a few to select from. Don't imagine it'll be a slow or fast burn, somewhere in the middle.
If anyone else wants to join in, come on. See you @ Hutton for 9 am roll-out..."

b. If someone had showed up that rode considerably slower then I am pretty sure the pace might have been slower. As it was I rode sweep several times today--which rarely happens, but we werent' trying to set any land speed records either. We had 3 guys on new (to them) bikes and riding said bikes at max press would just be dumb. Plus, the 5 of us that actually showed up tend to ride our bikes at 9.786/10, so WTH? Today, all riders that showed up had either raced bikes on dirt or track, raced cars, etc. or all the above.

c. The only people that might catch grief from riding slow (and I am not aware that has EVER happened) is if you show up for a fast burn LATE, and you are TOTALLY not a fast burn rider, crash frequently, didn't bring enough gas, your bike hasn't been prepped, i.e. "anybody got a tire pump", spark plug, tools, etc... or show up on a street bike, or with F'n SLICKS on DIRT F'n bike, well, yeah, then you might catch some grief. But not to your face because, well, that would just be uncomfortable...

Just say'n...it is what it is, depending on who shows up.
Anybody can go fast in a straight line...

skid=mark screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 08:04 PM Reason: typo
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote