Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #28411
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR56 View Post
Vic has a Slow Burn planned for Wed that I think is still happening.

Regardless of who shows and who you ride with, "Don't ride over your head"...a wise gentlemen by the name of Lyle Peterson used to give his sons that advice before every race and I still consider it some of the best advice I ever heard.
You going? Wanna ride a damn sexy WR ?? Might have one you could wring out if you're still curious.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #28412
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid=mark View Post
Sperz,
I have ridden with you, tho it's been a while. And while I too am not trying to be "shitty", however;

a.) Quote:"Blackwater Ride Tomorrow

Hutton @ 0900, so far it's me Skid SR56 Gimmee. Skid bringing the DR 650, I'll be on 690, SR-who knows, he's got a few to select from. Don't imagine it'll be a slow or fast burn, somewhere in the middle.
If anyone else wants to join in, come on. See you @ Hutton for 9 am roll-out..."

b. If someone had showed up that rode considerably slower then I am pretty sure the pace might have been slower. As it was I rode sweep several times today--which rarely happens, but we werent' trying to set any land speed records either. We had 3 guys on new (to them) bikes and riding said bikes at max press would just be dumb. Plus, the 5 of us that actually showed up tend to ride our bikes at 9.786/10, so WTH? Today, all riders that showed up had either raced bikes on dirt or track, raced cars, etc. or all the above.

c. The only people that might catch grief from riding slow (and I am not aware that has EVER happened) is if you show up for a fast burn LATE, and you are TOTALLY not a fast burn rider, crash frequently, didn't bring enough gas, your bike hasn't been prepped, i.e. "anybody got a tire pump", spark plug, tools, etc... or show up on a street bike, or with F'n SLICKS on DIRT F'n bike, well, yeah, then you might catch some grief. But not to your face because, well, that would just be uncomfortable...

Just say'n...it is what it is, depending on who shows up.

Ok, I get it. But this thread has morphed into a fast burn.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se

sperz1 screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 10:33 PM
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #28413
snyprone
n00b

Oddometer: 8
XR650 motor rebuild

That is a lot of work to replace the output shaft, sure you can't figure out a work around?[/QUOTE]

I already welded a sprocket on last year after the initial failure. There were a few splines left but now the weld has failed and there are no more splines. I've been studying the factory manual and doing some planning. Seals, gaskets, rings are probably a no brainer. I'm at the point where I just want it done right. Thnx.
snyprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #28414
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
Poppycock !
We going for a ride or what? How 'bout that Wednesday slow burn ?
You in?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #28415
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyprone View Post

I already welded a sprocket on last year after the initial failure. There were a few splines left but now the weld has failed and there are no more splines.

We do what we have to do to ride!
Back in the 70's, a buddy begged me to weld a sprocket to the countershaft.
I wanted him to fix it right, but it was going to cost too much since we had no tools or knowledge to get the job done.

Tack-cool with water-----Tack-cool with water.
Worked and shaft seal didnt leak oil.
thanks for the memory.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #28416
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Oddometer: 807
Eh? Ummm... ooops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Cuzz you was talking like a pissed off tribal leader, and takin no prisoners.
Busted. Upon reviewing the aforementioned posts in the "light of day", I do agree that I came across as kinda harsh. Ok, it was completely dickish.

Those that know me well, know that was completely in character; however it really was uncalled for in this situation, and Sperz- you deserved a better answer. My apologies to you and anyone else that felt I directed my commentary toward them.
Unless, of course you are "that guy"...

Quote:
My first thought when I read this and your other post was that you were not correct; perhaps you just missed the other offers posted of rides that were not mostly catering to a faster pace.

But in reviewing posts I think you might be have a point that I admit I was completely oblivious to...

The truth is this thread was created to cater all forms of ADV riding the Panhandle, and that has not changed. There are definitely scenic, touring paced rides offered on here, but they do seem to be fewer than the offers of the faster paced rides. The question is why?

There are several inmates on here that did/do tend to prefer a more touring pace, and I do not see them posting up rides as often as they used to. And, in at least two cases, have not been riding for the past year or more (for various reasons).

I am going to take your comment and ruminate on it some, and may have to call in a few expert witnesses like EtingElefanz and VicO to assist me in my critical and in-depth assessment of the situation...because my facilities are mostly depleted and severely lacking in any case...

Anybody can go fast in a straight line...
skid=mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #28417
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Eek Oh yeah...about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Oh by the way. Next time my girl loses jewelry at your house try to get it back to me before I have to go public... this is awkward.... at least she came home with her panties.
Ummm so... uhhh-- just askin'--what was the estimated street value of the jewelry that was allegedly lost in the vicinity of my home... and ummm...those weren't her panties...
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #28418
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid=mark View Post
The question is why?

There are several inmates on here that did/do tend to prefer a more touring pace, and I do not see them posting up rides as often as they used to. And, in at least two cases, have not been riding for the past year or more (for various reasons).

I am going to take your comment and ruminate on it some, and may have to call in a few expert witnesses like EtingElefanz and VicO to assist me in my critical and in-depth assessment of the situation...because my facilities are mostly depleted and severely lacking in any case...

Good stuff Jim!

I use to offer to lead a few rides in Monroe County dualsport tour and weekend trip to Mount Cheaha. Too much carnage (people getting hurt/lost) and worrying about this and that has something to do with my reduced offers to lead a group .

Still doing it, but at a much lower volume.
A pity because more of us seems always better than just a few of us at a event .

I have no answer to this.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #28419
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Thumb "like"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Good stuff Jim!

I use to offer to lead a few rides in Monroe County dualsport tour and weekend trip to Mount Cheaha. Too much carnage (people getting hurt/lost) and worrying about this and that has something to do with my reduced offers to lead a group .

Still doing it, but at a much lower volume.
A pity because more of us seems always better than just a few of us at a event .

I have no answer to this.
I would hate to think that any have departed this thread for a different one for the reason that Sperz mentioned. I know several more threads have sprung up as offshoots from this one, with mostly PAR participants, but I can't say that rides are being offered there...

I know that it has been a bone of contention that some didn't like the ummm "flavor" that this thread sometimes takes, but my feeling is that threads do morph, and that majority rules. It would be a simple matter to search back and see who prefers what, pick out those inmates and pm them to see what the "status" is.

IMHO, I think the "fast burn" crowd is more passionate about their riding, and more dedicated to it. Also, it really is a little unfair to label them "fast burn" when almost all of those inmates have a dual sport bike in addition to their more specialized "high performance" offroad bike...and they do ride them locally as well as on out of town "adventure rides"... Perhaps the PAR inmates are wanting to run solo on their touring rides??
Old 06-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #28420
OrangeGarrett
Ride'n With Rupert

Oddometer: 655
Great stuff guys!!!!!

What a wonderful morning,,,able to sleep in til 0600,,,grab a badass cup o joe,,,fire up the confuser,,,and catch up on some really good shit on PAR site.

Thanks Skid, I actually did a out-loud belly laugh, it looked like this >

Thanks SR, very good advise from that Lyle guy. Works every time so long as my EGO (usually caused by my feeling "less than" or maybe it's caused by having a "small dick", I don't know?) takes over.

Thanks Sperz & Eting, I 'feel' ya and this is coming from a guy that couldn't even SPELL the word compassion let alone pretend to understand empathy. I remember not too long ago, riding with some guys, (I'll make up some fictitious names so's not to get anyone in trouble) Bruce, Steve, Jim, Wayne and we managed to get onto some 'single track' (looked more like a nature walking trail) and I think I was hold'n them up a bit coz when I'd catch up to them I noticed they were doing various things like reading a newspaper, taking a wiz, doing some service work on bike and I think one guy was actually taking a nap. Yea I felt a little 'less than' coz I was. So now I know that when these guys say 'fast burn single track' to stay away.

Having said that I'll say this. While I know I'm an old man, I still have the addiction of Adrenalin and like to go faster than maybe I should at times. However, I've spent many many hours riding alone just exploring at a very comfortable pace.

So if ya'll or anyone else wants to do a "slow burn", PM me and we'll set up a ride. I promise that when you get to an intersection you won't have to rely on your 'tracking skills' to figure out which way they went.

If at the end of the ride you don't feel as tho I've kept my promise, feel free to punch me in the face. Be advised tho, I've been called a Brick Head a few times so if you hurt your hand, it's not my fault.

Oh,,,and Skid, get the leash back on and stay your ass up on the porch. When Pitbulls roam freely through neighborhoods it tends to scare people. Don't wanna see ya end up at the dog pound.
OrangeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #28421
waysherr
Behind Bars For Life

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
pretty much the entire time anyone will be made to feel like they are slowing up the 'faster' riders.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I don't know anyone in this group who truly resents having to wait on anyone to "catch up", all are welcome is true with this group.......whether a fast burn, slo burn, beast ride, or street bikes in the mtns. Every "stop" is just another chance to laugh at/with each other like like we have always done. There are MANY emotions exhibited in this group of misfits but resentment ain't one of em
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #28422
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,980
Passion!

This has all been gone over before. But its time to rehash it for the n00bs out there.

Yes over the 6 years I have been posting on this thread it has morphed! Like all things in life there are changes. People come and go, others change directions, some join on a fluke and other remain passionate over the years.

PAR started with a few guys looking to get together to ride. When I joined the group there was an established gang of hooligans who were true adventure riders. They rode their bike to meeting spots and then rode home after a jaunt through the woods. Maybe five guys in the area who did this.

Dirt Rob and Mad Max ruined all this with the introduction of ORANGE. I admit I followed with orange also, but perhaps I brought a racing mentality to the group that was not there before. I liked to go fast and soon it seems that others also wanted to do more than cruise. Fast Burns were born.

There was no conscious choice, no plan, it just happened. People with a passion for our sport started to pick up on the site and it grew. The PAR post count says volumes about our thread. It is a true melting pot of riders and I like the idea of seeing all types of posts and pics. I don't like the idea of excluding anyone because they are fast, or slow or ride purple.

Its been mentioned before that fast burners should have their own thread. Why? I believe there is room for all on PAR.

I do realize that many lurkers and n00bs can be intimidated by the videos and close friendship (smack talk) you see on PAR. We all had to start somewhere. You can lurk, or you can ride by yourself and hopefully a buddy, OR you can post up and join in the world of PAR Adventure Riders.

I have offered to lead a "Slow Ride" this Wednesday or any day a group would like to just ride and enjoy the woods. Come on out and join us.

Damn you guys post up fast.... stole my thunder (or was that a fart)

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms

Vico1 screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 08:10 AM
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #28423
MadMax400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Prepping the 400 to sell

All,
Spread the word. My trusty old 400EXC will be on the market for sale in the coming week. Currently in the prep phase, such as oil change, lubes, cleaning and removal of the GPR stabilizer. Then pics will be taken for my advertising campaign. No, i am not leaving the game. Just selling so I can begin my search for a 2012 or later EXC/XCW.
Anyone interested in my bike let me know. Craigslist ad will soon be posted when its ready.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #28424
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post

Damn you guys post up fast.... stole my thunder (or was that a fart)
I even smelled it over here....Peeeuuuuuu!

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #28425
skid=mark
Likes it Slidewayz

Laugh Amen bruddah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Yes over the 6 years I have been posting on this thread it has morphed! Like all things in life there are changes. People come and go, others change directions, some join on a fluke and other remain passionate over the years.

PAR started with a few guys looking to get together to ride. When I joined the group there was an established gang of hooligans who were true adventure riders. They rode their bike to meeting spots and then rode home after a jaunt through the woods. Maybe five guys in the area who did this.

There was no conscious choice, no plan, it just happened. People with a passion for our sport started to pick up on the site and it grew. The PAR post count says volumes about our thread. It is a true melting pot of riders and I like the idea of seeing all types of posts and pics. I don't like the idea of excluding anyone because they are fast, or slow or ride purple.
I believe there is room for all on PAR.

I do realize that many lurkers and n00bs can be intimidated by the videos and close friendship (smack talk) you see on PAR. We all had to start somewhere.
That comment above is something that has always fascinated me. Not just the post count but the VIEWS. Over 2MM!!!

That is on a level that exceeds many whole STATES! Most of the places that meet or exceed that level are in/near cities that have populations of millions-like NY or California.

So, I gotta think, we must be doing something right. Either that are we are like the monkey jerking off in the back of the cage...[this means you OG!!]