Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #7666
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
I love my 2010 450EXC even with the extra hassle of setting up the bike Im going thru right now. Of course my pain is self induced since I had to have a bike I could plate. But the anticipation of doing all this work to get ready to ride with you all has me stoked. Going to check out C&C cycles today in PCola to get some filters and oil and some..... man the list gets longer every time I wake up. Oh got my Moose Racing boots in the mail yesterday. I was worried about the fit but they were spot on. I ordered them online at Motorcycle Super Store for $100 they seem like a good starter boot.

I o
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #7667
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid
You got that right. I'll be on the bike and eastbound within the hour...
Leaving shortly, meet you guys at Broxson.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #7668
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
KTM info..

MItnSPlnt,
Bottom line is KTM is the gold standard when it comes to off road/enduro riding. I never had any significant issues with mine. Just routine maintenance/valve adj and ride. Once you go orange and black, you will never go back. hehe

Ask any KTM rider, there is no other. It is a damn straight out MX/dirt bike with a plate. Love it....
Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #7669
frothingslosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt
I sent the 2007 guy an email about his ride....on another note I had two KTM's ('03 LC4 640SM and a '05 450SMR track only) and I need to hear from all of you (orange koolaid drinkers ) about your experiences with your KTM's. Talking to you a few of you, it seems like you've had some persistent problems or just nagging ones that KTM's lack of attention to detail never dealt with. With mine, I never put a significant amount of miles on them, so it wasn't an issue. Post up and let's here it or you can PM if you want, so we don't clog up the usual thread or maybe just post up here so you can convince some more people over to the orange side....

Reason being, I don't want to be inundated with annoying little problems other than routine maintenance due to me having a lack of free time already. Thanks for the info guys!!!
Mi

Th 07 has the RFS engine, those are as reliable as they come! Its the same as Arts and Phils you cannot go wrong there. The 2008 has the new XC4 motor that had a few teething problems that they fixed in 09. You will have a little more maintenance than the WR (oil changes) but the RFS is as reliable as they come. I would be all over that bike on CL.
frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #7670
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,900
KTMs

There is a great article in dirt rider on 450exc. Spot on. It's says what we already know. Off road racer made legal. It is a crappy street bike. And not a true DS.
But what a dirt bike. I have 4,863 miles on mine with no real issues. That 450 won't be around long.

Phil wants to do Spec area on Monday. What about Sunday? U guys ride box today.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #7671
ElusivePedro
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,588
Today has been really rather good, even though I didn't hook up with the plankowners. Dammit...

I bet those new hoops bode well for the mugster - that man is very fast!

Now my issue is trying to get my little pelican case mounted up to old blue's tail rack. Plus, I was sooo sick and tired of that floppy bag flappin all over the place (turkey trot and other rides - yes?) Vic! Come on over and gimme a hand! You have any waterproof, insulated u-clamps? Waitaminute - howabout Tony? - he knows how to make do with anything - well scratch that - that would mean a lot of gas money! But if anyone knows how to attach something to a something it would be a KLR afficianodo!

Even though I missed (BAH!) the epic mug and inept recollect ride this morning, I may be in for a slow burn manyanna or Monday - the new chain and sprocket needs a good cleaning, lube, and a tug too... Big tools, solvent, hammer handle... plus (and not wanting to admit) my damn shoulder started acting like shit last week. Ouch.

Oh shoot - where's my range pass!!! Just checked my wallet and bike - nowhere. Dadgummit...

:-/

Probably need renewed anyway. Maybe I oughta look in the truck - which hasn't been touched in about 4 weeks...
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #7672
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,904
KTM and Mossy RR

My son and I have been riding (racing) KTMs for the past seven years with NO major problems.

I had an 03 450 exc with RFS motor and ran that thing through three years of enduros, trail exploring, hare scrambles, hard core riding/training (typically three days per week) before I sold it to a guy from NC who drove here to buy it so he could DS it!

Moved from the 450 to the 07 300 xc-w 2 stroke in late 06 and still have that thing (in fact I rode it at mossy head today and beat the shit out of it)...no issues.

Last October, bought an 09 530 which I take on the ADV/EG/BW rides and no problems!

The Jap bikes are awesome, easy to find parts for and are pretty bullet proof. You can't go wrong on a Yammy, Zuk, Kawi or a Honda.

But if you wanna carve the woods and ride a bike that was bred from the beginning as a woods weapon (remember John Penton), you can do no better than a KTM for these woods around here. Just my opinion.

One thing about a KTM though, you will do better buying parts online from Munn Racing, KTM World, etc and doing the work yourself.

Also, KTM has the most complete source for anything/everything and iit is called KTMTalk.com. Membership is free, there are posts from every kind of KTM owner on how to do any work on the bike.

Ride Report:
Robin and hit the pit at Mossy Head about 7am. When we first got there, I took him on a short one mile practice loop. Then we timed each other running the loop. Then we worked on some fundmentals and timed ourselves again on the loop to see the improvement.

Robin knocked over a minute off his lap times doing this!

ZThen we ran back to the parking area to see if Geo or Jim showed and connected with Jim on his Kawi. We ran another loop and called it a day.

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #7673
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
m/c

HUSQVARNA...
HUSQVARNA..
HUSQVARNA.

WD
Old 09-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #7674
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
sunday

are there any takers on a sunday morning service starting from the power station and looping bronx for about 40-60mi.?
wd
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #7675
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriordad
are there any takers on a sunday morning service starting from the power station and looping bronx for about 40-60mi.?
wd
OK souinds like a plan to me. Say around 8AM and we can do the usual loop and see the helos, trenches and AchAch Guns...an of course mystery canyon and swiming holes and ATV trail.

Its all good baby.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #7676
MItrnsplnt
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 658
I'm in for tomorrow! Just to confirm the power station is just south of Brox landing on 87, right? I think I met you guys there last time......
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #7677
Vico1
The Maestro

Saturday

The reason I didn't ride today is that a friend had a free room at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi. With eating out last night and brunch, gas and gambling loss the FREE ROOM cost me $400 +.

I can't aford free shit anymore! Its way to expensive.

looking forward to a DS/O 2.5 fast burn at Powerstation.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #7678
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
sell yall in the AM
sallad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #7679
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItrnsplnt
I'm in for tomorrow! Just to confirm the power station is just south of Brox landing on 87, right? I think I met you guys there last time......
not JUST south. Its about 10 miles down there. Just before you get to Holley. Yes I think you have been there before.

There is gas near by if needed.

Riggy, what about it?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #7680
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1
not JUST south. Its about 10 miles down there. Just before you get to Holley. Yes I think you have been there before.

There is gas near by if needed.

Riggy, what about it?
I may be there. I mean shit, ridin is ridin', right Vic?

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote