Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #76
marcwestbmw
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 493
Rearview, good to hear from you. I'd like to get over there and ride BW. Robklx400 always invites me. But, I've been flaking out on him.

Saturdays are tough for me, being in the car business and all. Sunday AM rides or weekday rides are usually my gig.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #77
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 3,082
Hey rob, nice bikes! hopefully we'll be able to get some ridin done in the near future out there

tony - have you talked to eric? has he got him some new handlebars yet? I cant imagine commuting like he does with some crazy ass tweaked handlebars like that

sallad - thats where they spray reclaimed water. I wouldnt use em as a shower. theres some badass singletrack back there, and some fuckin bottomless mudholes too if ya can find it theres another trail through that side that goes to the bay. and there used to be a trail all the way to the highway (if you take a right at that giant sinkhole) but they built houses at the end of the trail, so thats just a dead end now.

After class wednesday I went and searched for "the maze" and it has eluded another adv'er. Found a couple dead ends at the end of the airport, but thats south of the brick chimney, an I believe yall said north. oh well

marcwest, usually im down for some weekday ridin, drop me a pm if ya got plans an we'll do it to it

so whats the plans for this weekend fellers?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #78
sallad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTjerry
sallad - thats where they spray reclaimed water. I wouldnt use em as a shower. theres some badass singletrack back there, and some fuckin bottomless mudholes too if ya can find it theres another trail through that side that goes to the bay. and there used to be a trail all the way to the highway (if you take a right at that giant sinkhole) but they built houses at the end of the trail, so thats just a dead end now.
After I thought about it for a bit I figured that’s what it was for. I went and rode around there for about an hour today and decided to call it quits after hitting a huge root but narrowly avoiding a pretty fast crash (there is a lot of em back there)

What is this maze yall speak of? Did some searching but only found questions?

sallad screwed with this post 04-27-2008 at 09:23 PM
sallad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #79
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Oddometer: 5,438
Hey Jerry, haven't heard from Eric, but he didn't make it out to our BW ride yesterday, I'm guessing his ribs are still sore. And as far as your comment on tweaked handlebars, I've ridden with *slightly* bent bars before but nothing like Eric's!

The Maze is easy to miss even if you're looking for it. I always jump in at Scenic Bay just across from the brick chimney, the entrance is almost completely covered by brush...hard to find even if you know where to look!

I won't make it for any local rides this coming weekend as I'll be up in N. Georgia exploring the Chattahoochee Natl. Forest. I'm guessing Luke won't be riding either unless he finds a new rear rim on ebay--it's a good story, and I'll let him tell it. Mug took some pics, I'm sure they'll be forthcoming shortly...

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #80
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Oddometer: 532
Follow the red brick road...

Hey all, great riding this weekend. Some more of you should really come out to BW on saturdays. We're covering some awesome ground.

This is a glory pic of the Mug. For what he usually rides right the hell over, I don't know how this tamed him, but we all know how it goes. Obligatory ADV shot coming...
Attached Images

RearView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #81
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

Whoops

Well, that's not Mugwest on the GS, but that retro chick on the vintage Husky sure is HOT.

Jerry, we found some great whoops I think you'll dig.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #82
RearView
Caveman Philosopher

One more

Man, I really gotta get a smugmug account or something.

This is just a great pic of some singletrack we found. Pretty technical. I had a tough enough time getting my bike stuck on a simple incline. Thanks for getting me out boys.

And yes, I am shopping for rims. We took the "old 90" brick road that runs along the current 90, and I figure why not do it at 80. Easy surface, straight as an arrow, except for that road crossing with a big ass curb(larger than a city curb), which I was only able to slow to 55 for. Bashed the rear something awful(probably rider error). Gotta love those MEFO's. The bead stayed in and at least it was the way out at the end of the day. We'll see you in a couple of weeks with work travel and waiting on rims. Lame, but all part of the game.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #83
Hatch
PAR OG

whoops an single track?? yer talkin my language right there!
nice husky btw

hey ive been riding around on a bent front rim for months now - if it can hold a bead it cant be that bad right?

oh and luke, if you dont wanna pay for photo hosting, you can always go photobucket - I dont have and never have had any problems with them.

tony - chattahoochee eh? ive done quite a bit of fishing and hunting on the banks of that old river. make sure if you catch any snakefish to kill em, cause theyre infesting it and choking out the native fish. good luck and have fun - bring back pics!

after class I believe ill try to find the maze again, I looked at some aerial views of pcola, and theres only one spot that looks like it could be it

Hatch screwed with this post 04-28-2008 at 11:07 AM
Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #84
Hatch
PAR OG

ok, holy shit. that is a really fubar'd rim. wow

found ya some new rims that might take that kinda punishment:
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/mcy/658021319.html

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #85
Dakotarider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
[quote=RearView]Hey all, great riding this weekend. Some more of you should really come out to BW on saturdays. We're covering some awesome ground.

What time and where does everyone meat up at? I would like to ride BW on Saturday AM. I have never been there and have a question. I see BMW's and "average" bikes in the pics. I have a plated XR 400 and a KLR 650. Which is a better BW bike? I enjoy both but with the girth of the Kawi, the XR is more fun to throw around! Hope to ride with you guys. Also, how do you get the Eglin pass and is it worth it for 2 months? I will be leaving in June and don't want to waste the $$$. Also, I have a new set of MSR aluminum bars I bought for the KLR and they wont fit.(too low) If anyone can use them, I will sell them for below cost (chaparral Motorsports) $30.
Dakotarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #86
Hatch
PAR OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
King Jerry
I like that

ok, pm's sent

also, today I FINALLY found "the maze"

First thing that comes to mind is "Ouch!" - that is some seriously gnarly singletrack fellas - not only because of the handlebar-width tree crossings, log crossings every 50 yds, wait-a-minute vines every 20, and that kickass shipping crate crossing over the tree, but the slippery as hell pinestraw and oak leaf terrain, which caused me to bust it on one of those uphill hairpins
carnage report:

1 busted mirror. damnit

oh well, still got another on the other side
Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #87
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotarider
I would like to ride BW on Saturday AM. I have never been there and have a question. I see BMW's and "average" bikes in the pics. I have a plated XR 400 and a KLR 650. Which is a better BW bike? I enjoy both but with the girth of the Kawi, the XR is more fun to throw around! Hope to ride with you guys.
Hey Dakota, I *strongly* recommend the XR over the KLR--weight is the issue. I have a blast on my little KLR250, the lack of power doesn't hurt it offroad, at least not at the spirited-but-sane pace we ride. I've also got a KLR650 and wouldn't try to keep up with the other riders on it, it'll go everywhere you want to go, just a whole lot slower! (At least with me on board.)

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #88
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTjerry
also, today I FINALLY found "the maze"

First thing that comes to mind is "Ouch!" - that is some seriously gnarly singletrack fellas - not only because of the handlebar-width tree crossings, log crossings every 50 yds, wait-a-minute vines every 20, and that kickass shipping crate crossing over the tree, but the slippery as hell pinestraw and oak leaf terrain, which caused me to bust it on one of those uphill hairpins
carnage report:

1 busted mirror. damnit

oh well, still got another on the other side
Hey Jerry, I wasn't lying when I told you the Maze was seriously technical riding! Your XT is the perfect weapon for it, though--can you imagine somebody riding that area with a BMW G/S?? I've heard it's been done before...

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #89
Dakotarider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
[quote=Mugwest]It's in my DNA

Dakota, come on and ride with us, even the EG parts. I think on your first no-permit range infraction (if caught) they just bitch at you, maybe ban you from the range for 2 weeks. Does this encouragement contradict my heavy warnings to you about Permits in my previous post? Yeah, a little. But i figure since you're leaving us so soon, it'll all work out.

Y'all work out your workable times for getting going etc. I can do whatever
Get yr ducks in a row and let's settle on some Sat plans, men.

OK.. I'll bring the XR...but, I am still on the Kenda off road tires, stock gearing and no speedo meaning I would prefer no Interstates. Like Al Bundy would say, "Let's Ride!" Hey, I have a Baja kit, License plate and actual Insurance(fools)! I will be departing West P-cola so get yur skirts up and lets ride! As far as the EG parts, I have my FL fishing licesnse, ya think tht will fly? I do have South Dakota on the XR!

I do have a trailer and truck that can haul 5-6 bikes. If someone else needs a lift, that is a possibility too. We can work something out.
Dakotarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #90
Hatch
PAR OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid
Hey Jerry, I wasn't lying when I told you the Maze was seriously technical riding! Your XT is the perfect weapon for it, though--can you imagine somebody riding that area with a BMW G/S?? I've heard it's been done before...
you definetly werent shittin me! good stuff! anyone who rides anything bigger than my xt in there is a fucking trooper!! There were parts that I had to squeeze the bars sideways through trees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSRocker
I have a DS route that is about 150 miles to ride from the sneads to Hurricane lake I've been wanting to finish the route then set up camp for a few days do some riding maybe some fishing in the evening.

I'm sure I don't want to set up camp where it would be a problem to have a drink or a few beers in the evening.

I pulled this of a state site

Anyone over that way know of any problems that I'll have?

HURRICANE LAKE (Okaloosa County):

The south campground is accessible from Kennedy Bridge Road off Beaver Creek Road north of SR 4. This campground contains primitive (no electric or water hookups) camping sites maintained by the Division of Forestry (DOF). Restroom and picnic facilities are available. Several earthen fishing fingers are located in this area for use by bank fishermen.
HOLY HELL man, are you serious? youve got a d/s route to sneads?? thats where my family is from - sneads an grand ridge. you gotta give us a ride report or at least some maps/pics, cause thatd make visiting the grandparents a whole nother adventure!

as for Hurricane lake - ive camped there quite a bit when in the scouts and its a really nice place, its a big lake (you may have to hike a bit to find good fishing) with a hiking trail all the way around it (approx. 10 miles if I remember correctly) and its not completely primitive (picnic benches, campsite restroom facilities, paved parking lot, etc.)

theres several others in the area that ive camped at (camp paquette, Karak lake - which has a cool old sawmill there, Bear lake, Krul lake, etc.)

heres a link for more info on those: http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/...more_info.html

oh and dakotarider, check yer pms -

mug - I believe the landing on the south side of the yellow bridge river would be a suitable place for us to meet up with dakotarider, as hes gonna need somewhere to put the truck.