ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
nicholastanguma OP
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,554
Bluhduh Do Kalifornia Kops Target Trikes and Sidecars?

I'm going to be touring all up and down The Golden State with some friends and family. The group ranges from six at the smallest to eight or nine at the largest. We're each riding our own, and each machine is a bobbed out trike or sidecar. No obnoxiously loud exhausts, and none of us are speed demons.

However, I see a lot of vids on YouTube about California police targeting motorcyclists for things such as fender eliminator kits, LED lighting, and 3/4 face helmets, even in cases where the motorcycles were not speeding and the riders were not engaging in erratic traffic patterns.

Granted, the YouTubes is a place where good sense usually goes to die and clever editing can make any footage seem legit, but I also read a lot of these stories on various moto forums, too.

I'm wondering if my friends and and I on our various custom three-wheeled contraptions are going to present an irresistible visual target for dem comrad coppers.
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 598
Most of the people you see getting pulled over were doing something stupid before hand that you didn't see, the cops aren't out to get you unless you're a tard on your bike.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,481
Cannot say about small municipalities, but the Calif. CHP are generally good cops who are just trying to keep the roadways safe. Of course there are exceptions but for the most part I think they cut moto riders a break. They generally let bikes go up to 10 over with no problem unless you are being stupid or they are a noob.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
FYI: here is required equipment for motorcycles http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf Any proper helmet including half helmets is legal if it has the DOT sticker on it.

I don't ride a 3 wheeler, but I don't believe sidecars and trikes get any special scrutiny from LEOs. If anything, they are stereotyped with older and handicapped riders. When they do target moto riders, they are looking for drunks, unlicensed, stolen bikes, uninsured, etc in a futile attempt to save squids. Checkpoints and targeted enforcement are not that common.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,677
No special attention given to sidecars or trikes. Here is a pic of SWMBO next to our rig.

I've been driving a sidecar rig for 4 years here in California, have not been pulled over yet, but then I'm pretty mellow.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Just keep it under 80 mph and you will be fine.

The CHP takes care of the freeways, and rarely work two lane highways. Plus, they don't hide in the bushes in the center median.

Radar use is only on the right side of the highway, but they may find cover in a stealth area. Seems they use binocular radar nowadays with a narrow beam that allows them to read only the car that's going faster than the others.

In local municipalities best to stay around the speed limit, or flow of traffic as many are incorporated cities with a budget to keep. They will post motos on the sidewalk at the corner or hide on private property to try and make revenue.

Here in CA, most of the agencies have switched to Ford Exporlers or whatever they are called now. They are hard to spot..

Not many crown vics or caprices around anymore.

Really though, aside from the interstates (chp) and incorporated smaller cities, I rarely see any LEO. (in Northern CA)
Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
The CHP takes care of the freeways, and rarely work two lane highways.
I wouldn't say that's true... They are all over the two lane hwys here. If it's a state hwy you gonna see them.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,677
My neighbor is a CHP "Motor Officer" aka: bike cop. Of course I've asked lots of questions over the years including: "Just how fast can I get away with on the Fwy without getting a ticket?" His answer: " On a 65mph Fwy, anything over 70 can get you written up and 75mph will absolutely get you a ticket! Here on the 118 Fwy in Ventura County there are 3 CHPs working on any given day. My neighbor say that on average with nothing else going on, they are writing a new ticket every 20 minuets. They are currently using hand held laser speed guns. There are a few of the new SUV CHP rigs here, but they all have the LED light bar. In Southern California they still mostly have Crown Vickies, some with light bars, some without. Most are Black & white, some all white (without light bars) and I've seen a couple of tan Crown Vickies without light bars. On the big slabs like Interstate 5 they use airplanes and will pull over five or six cars at a time! The plane radios ahead and the guy on the ground walks out onto the lane, flags you over and tells you to wait your turn! (been there done that!).

All State roads and federal highways and roads not within Corporate City boundaries are patrolled by CHP. I live in an unincorporated area of Ventura County, the streets are patrolled by Ventura County Sheriff for civil and criminal matters, traffic on the street in front of my house is handled by CHP.

Strong Bad screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 03:14 PM
Strong Bad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
No special attention given to sidecars or trikes. Here is a pic of SWMBO next to our rig.

I've been driving a sidecar rig for 4 years here in California, have not been pulled over yet, but then I'm pretty mellow.
Wow! Sweet rig!!
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,569
California is spelled with a C

Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
nicholastanguma OP
nicholastanguma

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
California is spelled with a C

Not to my side of the political spectrum it isn't.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,310
In my personal experience CALIFORNIA is the most forgiving state in the USA for motorcycle riders.

You will not be targeted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #13
nicholastanguma OP
nicholastanguma

Thanks for all the encouragement, gents. Internet complaint stories make it so easy for someone to get freaked out.

I love you all, you beautiful FFs.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
nicholastanguma OP
nicholastanguma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
In my personal experience CALIFORNIA is the most forgiving state in the USA for motorcycle riders.

Really? I'm willing to take your word for it since you've obviously got lots more experience in The Golden State than me. But I'm def curious as to why I read and see so many horror stories about dealing with Cali fuzz on various moto forums, ADVrider included. Does this simply go back to Internet myopia?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #15
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Really? I'm willing to take your word for it since you've obviously got lots more experience in The Golden State than me. But I'm def curious as to why I read and see so many horror stories about dealing with Cali fuzz on various moto forums, ADVrider included. Does this simply go back to Internet myopia?
Its like the news, people don't want to hear about a cat rescued from a tree, they would have a story about someone kicking a cat.