ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
CAL DMV Question

Do you know if the law has been changed that requires you to retake the written DL test & the MC written test in order to get a permit.

The reason I ask is the fellow who I go dirt riding with went to the DMV to get a MC permit and was told that he had to retake the DL written test as well as the MC written test.

It seem a bit strange but I have not been to the DMV in a long time, I got my MC back in 1974 and I just went in and took the written test then went out and did the ride around the loop in the parking lot.

Thanks
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
spdnjoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I accidentally let my MC license expire and when I went to the DMV I had to redo the car test also. Canot just take the MC test
Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
Do you know if the law has been changed that requires you to retake the written DL test & the MC written test in order to get a permit.

The reason I ask is the fellow who I go dirt riding with went to the DMV to get a MC permit and was told that he had to retake the DL written test as well as the MC written test.

It seem a bit strange but I have not been to the DMV in a long time, I got my MC back in 1974 and I just went in and took the written test then went out and did the ride around the loop in the parking lot.

Thanks
I can confirm I went thought the same BS a few years back. Had my DL for 14 years and went to get my permit and they made me retake my DL lic as well as the permit. Thankfully I passed both test, would have been a awkword drive home
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
If the DMV says it needs to be done,they are unlikely to be swayed by ADV inmates thoughts or theorys.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,832
When I went to get my MC license, I was surprised that I needed to retake the DL test and failed it for answering too cautiously on a few questions about speed limits in special zones. I took a deep breath, scanned through the DL handbook, and passed it 10 minutes later.

When my wife went last year, she was really worried about losing her DL while trying to get the MC. We researched and found out that you can withdraw your application for MC licence after the second fail, and wait before re-applying, to avoid that. She ended up passing the first time.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Thanks for the info.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Now you guys got me nervous. I haven't retaken the written or driving test since I got my drivers license at 17. Got M1 lic. at 29. I'm 48.

All I've done is go in two or three times for a new picture. Not even an eye exam, I'll be getting an eyeglasses required endorsement next time they check
Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,545
Had to retake commercial, tank, air brake and haz mat tests in addition to MC and regular tests when I first got the MC endorsement

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Had to retake commercial, tank, air brake and haz mat tests in addition to MC and regular tests when I first got the MC endorsement
Im guessing because they make money off each test.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Eek

Do tell about the wonders that are Komiforiniastan.

Have Glock will transport hippy helmets across state lines.
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
kumatae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Somewhat of a similar situation but I have an out of state license and went in to get a MC license and they told me that I had to take both driver and MC written tests. Luckily I passed both on my first try.

If you are nervous about the MC written test and I know this is unethical but check out youtube for sample written tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MXh9oBORF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlmhZn8jmrM

Here a sample driver written test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JrSZG39yes
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post

Thanks
Yes you have to do both. I would also suggest actually reading the car manual. They've added a lot of questions about cell phones and other bits of law not necessarily related to driving.